Author Topic: Video, opening, dressing and baking my pizza in a PP WFO  (Read 406 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Video, opening, dressing and baking my pizza in a PP WFO
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »
"Watch, do, teach" heard that somewhere a long time ago. Seems to help me learn.

Disclaimer: I am no expert, in fact I started making my own pizza only about 3 months before I joined PM.com.

This video is of me, in my cook shack, opening a dough ball, dressing the same and baking in a Pizza Party oven.
I know that I have a long way to go, but feel that I have learned a lot too.

Please feel free to  critique and make suggestions on my technique.

Hope this video is helpful to some of you! It was fun making and I was suprised it turned out.

Mark

P.S. Backround is KNBR, SF Giants pre game. Didn't even realize it was on. Dang they LOST again! :o

<a href="http://youtu.be/SdIJVoY1p_Q" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/SdIJVoY1p_Q</a>
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:01:55 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Video, opening, dressing and baking my pizza in a PP WFO
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
Great video mark, thanks for posting it.  I liked it so much I watched it twice.  I searched and searched for videos of people opening dough on a counter for a long time before I ever actually tried it, and I'm sure this will help many home pizza makers.  You should get a helper on the video camera some time, i'd love to see your whole process, launch, turning, etc.

Jake
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »
Your dough looks really nice and soft and supple.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »
Your dough looks really nice and soft and supple.

Ya, it must be the 62F ferment box! :o
Sometimes I wish I could pick it up and toss it, but no way, Jose! ::)
Thanks for all your help and encouragement. :)

Mark
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:45:10 PM by mkevenson »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:49:33 PM »
You should get a helper on the video camera some time, i'd love to see your whole process, launch, turning, etc.

Jake

Jake, those union video helpers are SOOOOOO expensive! I think that with the proper props and super fast motion, I might be able to do the whole thing solo, while shaving with my double edged razor. :-D
Thanks for watching!

Mark

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »
Very nice  :chef:
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline moose13

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »
Nice job and thanks for posting!

Offline narmnaleg

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »
Thanks for posting the video Mark. Really interesting to see how you're using the PP.  :drool:

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »
Thanks for posting the video Mark. Really interesting to see how you're using the PP.  :drool:

Ya, I started with the fire one the left wall, nice over pizza flame. Moved to the back wall, fair over pizza flame with more room and less reach to turn the pie. Tried the right rear corner, in video, less over pizza flame. Next will be left rear corner, better reach for my oven set up.  I do like the flame travel with the side fire, what I don't  like so much is the abundance of heat off the opposite wall. Fun to try different fire placement. At least I know it will cook pies no matter where I put the heat!

Mark

Offline narmnaleg

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »
Ya, I started with the fire one the left wall, nice over pizza flame. Moved to the back wall, fair over pizza flame with more room and less reach to turn the pie. Tried the right rear corner, in video, less over pizza flame. Next will be left rear corner, better reach for my oven set up.  I do like the flame travel with the side fire, what I don't  like so much is the abundance of heat off the opposite wall. Fun to try different fire placement. At least I know it will cook pies no matter where I put the heat!

Mark

I haven't played with the fire placement much so far, usually starting the fire on the right and moving it to the left before I start cooking, but you've given me some food for thought there. The way you had the fire in the video leaves a lot more room for cooking compared to the way I've been doing it.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 03:18:51 AM »
"Watch, do, teach" heard that somewhere a long time ago. Seems to help me learn.

Disclaimer: I am no expert, in fact I started making my own pizza only about 3 months before I joined PM.com.

This video is of me, in my cook shack, opening a dough ball, dressing the same and baking in a Pizza Party oven.
I know that I have a long way to go, but feel that I have learned a lot too.

Please feel free to  critique and make suggestions on my technique.

Hope this video is helpful to some of you! It was fun making and I was suprised it turned out.

Mark

P.S. Backround is KNBR, SF Giants pre game. Didn't even realize it was on. Dang they LOST again! :o

http://youtu.be/SdIJVoY1p_Q

Brother, you've learned more than a lot, and I don't think you were surprised at all :P Great job, you got me thinking about getting that thing again :-D Have a couple ideas to try on the BS yet, one I will try to get done tomorrow.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »
Brother, you've learned more than a lot, and I don't think you were surprised at all :P Great job, you got me thinking about getting that thing again :-D Have a couple ideas to try on the BS yet, one I will try to get done tomorrow.

jon
Jon

I was surprised that it all came together. I am no where near 100%. Believe me, I have my share of ,Hall of Shame"
Thanks for looking in!

Mark

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »
Mark,

I agree with TxCraig about the apparent suppleness of your dough.

Even though it may result in some "fails" you should abandon all fear and stretch/toss that dough!!!!!!!!!

If there's one aspect of your pie that I would change it would be to make the cornicione smaller. That's my personal preference.

That could easily be achieved with some additional stretching of that dough ball!

But great vid and great addition to the pizza universe!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
Thank you John! I may try.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »
Mark ya big stud! That was so cool! (and instructive)
First, I'm impressed that you are brave enough and can manage the expert GI peel slip technique!  I always wondered if the guys who do that at the Pizza Expo have just spent so much time practicing that it looks easy but it's not.  You exercised confidence 'with care'  I know if I tried - I'd taco every time!   I did wonder about the two stage topping of the pie.  Is that because the weight of the toppings after pepperoni in this case add so much weight that it's necessary to do top it in two stages? Or, is that more about your hydration or other? 
I also noticed that at about 4:00 you do the classic "I have one more should I leave it off or put it on the pizza?" Naturally - it goes on! The more the merrier.  :pizza:
Thanks for showing the way you push out the dough and do stretch, rotation, repeat. What great looking dough. That vantage point of the camera really helped  me understand your technique - very gentle. Which makes sense to me.
Nice choice of t-shirt! Good taste in music confirmed!
Have a great weekend!
Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »
Don, thanks for the comments.  The 2 stages are left over from when my pie would stick to the prep top if left alone too long. I kinda got in the habit of putting it on the peel mid way. Some times I am brave and do a single stage but not often. Those shrooms are very light, and overall the toppings are not that heavy.
Great weekend back at ya!

Mark
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:48:35 PM by mkevenson »