Author Topic: "Serious Pie" by Tom Douglas in Seattle  (Read 12931 times)

Offline gorbachevguy

Re: "Serious Pie" by Tom Douglas in Seattle
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 07:45:22 AM »
Wow, thanks a bunch for that link. 100% hydration! I'm honestly not sure if I would be able to even handle the dough. Maybe that explains why the pizzas aren't round. It's probably impossible to form a circle without making a mess. I really don't recall watching the dough being handled and formed into a crust, so I can't say for sure if that 100% number is accurate. But, I'll give it a shot.

Offline gorbachevguy

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »
Also, coming up this friday the 12th at 730 pm on the food network is "the best thing i ever ate"...and they are featuring pizza.  I remember watching this a while back and Tyler Florence chose Serious Pie as his favorite.  There was about a 5 minute clip about the place...but I don't recall how informative it was.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
Wow, thanks a bunch for that link. 100% hydration! I'm honestly not sure if I would be able to even handle the dough. Maybe that explains why the pizzas aren't round. It's probably impossible to form a circle without making a mess. I really don't recall watching the dough being handled and formed into a crust, so I can't say for sure if that 100% number is accurate. But, I'll give it a shot.

AKSteve,

It's not entirely clear from the blog, but it is possible that the 100% hydration refers only to the poolish. It is possible to get the final dough to a hydration of 100%, but the dough will usually be hard to handle for most workers. You might want to post a question on the blog to get clarification before you proceed with a test.

Peter

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »
Looks pretty darn wet from the photos. And, quoting the blog: "Super wet dough, 100% hydration, equal parts flour and water- makes our dough soft instead of stiff." I wish I had read this earlier, as I spoke to a girl yesterday whose boyfriend works there. She did mention that their pastry chefs worked for six months to perfect the dough. Once I get back home, I'm going to use the following 95% hydration ciabatta pizza dough recipe as a starting point: http://sites.google.com/site/hollosyt/quickrusticciabattapizza. It's obviously not the same technique they use at all, but it'll give me an idea of what a pizza tastes like using a dough that wet.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:12:24 AM by AKSteve »

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »
I recently ate here on my way back home from a trip to do some volunteer work in vietnam.  Spectacular pizza, and the same enigma that AKSteve mentions.  Very crispy outside with a great tenderness and moistness inside.  How to replicate that?  I just don't know, but I'd love to find out.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »
try a wet dough at 625 degrees or so.  The wetness keeps it moist inside and the lower temp allows the outside to get nice and crispy/charred.   This pizza seems very similar to new haven style, but even more hydrated.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:17:20 PM by scott r »

buceriasdon

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
I lack parchment paper so this evening I streched the dough recipe from the blog, 1 cup water and 250 grams flour, 1tsp. yeast and 7 grams salt,  into a oiled 13" pan after three S+Fs in the span of a hour and let it rise in the pan another hour. It had way to much rim, have to cut back on the amount of dough. A simple sliced plum tomato and garlic with Panela cheese which was baked for a few minutes then removed from the pan and allowed to finish on the tile in my LBE. I think a regular oven would be better. It had a quite tasty crust and a very interesting texture for an all purpose flour and a two hour rise. Thanks for posting the link to the blog, I will try this again soon with my changes.
Don
http://sites.google.com/site/hollosyt/quickrusticciabattapizza
If others are interested in trying the high hydration recipe from the blog it might be best to start a new thread.  :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:27:17 PM by buceriasdon »

buceriasdon

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
I went back and viewed the video (post 3) several more times and I concur with Peter's old post about the use of poolish and or biga and high hydration, but no way that skin is more than 80% hydration and I doubt even that high. Even with a heavy coating of cornmeal those pizzas are coming off those little peels way to easy.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngxpwrnt7bM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngxpwrnt7bM</a>

Don

pizzapan