Author Topic: Pizza Republica in Denver area  (Read 2339 times)

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Pizza Republica in Denver area
« on: May 09, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »
Pizza Republica just opened tonight in Greenwood Village, CO (south of Denver, near DTC in the Landmark).  Overall it was decent, but the claims of 'authentic neapolitan pizza' are off base.  Pizzas take 3-5 mins to cook and seem to made with a standard bread flour.  Margherita was just average (tastes a little worse than what I could produce any day of the week in my home oven at 500 degrees).  Pizza Georgio was slightly better.  The crust was too chewy for me, and leftovers are now almost like chewing on jerky.  We had a mixed green salad also that was just greens with 2 pieces of roasted tomatoes and some pickled onions.  Overwhelming vinegar taste in the dressing. 

Service was great, they were having a few hiccups in the kitchen on opening night and pizzas were taking longer than expected.  Waiter comp'd some gelato for my wife at the end even though we said the delay was no problem (it really wasn't, but I think he felt bad about it cuz my wife is pregnant and was having some mild contractions and he noticed).  It is nice decor, but what kind of stood out was how loud it was.  It wasn't like going to Red Robin or anything on that level (where you have to take 2 excedrin with your burger) but it was hard to hear and talk.

I will probably go back in a couple weeks for lunch to see if anything has improved.  I snapped a couple pics on the iphone of the pizzas and will post them up later when I get a chance.

Not as good as Marco's Coal Fired (and both have similar prices), but it is a lot closer to my house so I will probably return once in a while. 

Overall: 3.5/5
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Republica in Denver area
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:43:55 AM »
Congratulations on the little one! You will have a little pizza maker helper before you know it. :)

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:02:08 AM »
Congratulations on the little one! You will have a little pizza maker helper before you know it. :)

all part of my master plan for world domination.  :-)
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline garyd

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »
Pizza Republica just opened tonight in Greenwood Village, CO (south of Denver, near DTC in the Landmark).  Overall it was decent, but the claims of 'authentic neapolitan pizza' are off base.  Pizzas take 3-5 mins to cook and seem to made with a standard bread flour.  Margherita was just average (tastes a little worse than what I could produce any day of the week in my home oven at 500 degrees).  Pizza Georgio was slightly better.  The crust was too chewy for me, and leftovers are now almost like chewing on jerky.  We had a mixed green salad also that was just greens with 2 pieces of roasted tomatoes and some pickled onions.  Overwhelming vinegar taste in the dressing. 

Service was great, they were having a few hiccups in the kitchen on opening night and pizzas were taking longer than expected.  Waiter comp'd some gelato for my wife at the end even though we said the delay was no problem (it really wasn't, but I think he felt bad about it cuz my wife is pregnant and was having some mild contractions and he noticed).  It is nice decor, but what kind of stood out was how loud it was.  It wasn't like going to Red Robin or anything on that level (where you have to take 2 excedrin with your burger) but it was hard to hear and talk.

I will probably go back in a couple weeks for lunch to see if anything has improved.  I snapped a couple pics on the iphone of the pizzas and will post them up later when I get a chance.

Not as good as Marco's Coal Fired (and both have similar prices), but it is a lot closer to my house so I will probably return once in a while. 

Overall: 3.5/5

What are the prices like? This place sounds like another one of those trendy BS places that Westword likes to promote and the yuppies flock to.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:38:34 AM »
Overall it was decent, but the claims of 'authentic neapolitan pizza' are off base.  Pizzas take 3-5 mins to cook and seem to made with a standard bread flour.  Margherita was just average (tastes a little worse than what I could produce any day of the week in my home oven at 500 degrees). 

The website shows a photo of a (woodstone?) gas fired pre fab oven? Is that the case?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:13:10 PM »
Prices were a little high.  I believe the Margherita was $14 and the Georgio was $16.  The mixed greens salad was $9.  12oz beer (some italian one that was recommended and basically tasted like coors) was $5.  I think with everything the bill was a little over $50 (w/o tip).  It is definitely one of those 'trendy' places.. it is owned by Jet Entertainment group if that tells you anything. 

The oven looked like a pre-fab woodstone, but I didn't get a real close look.  They actually had a stack of wood sitting next to it, and the entire hour or so we were there I never saw anyone load a piece of wood, so I think it was just for show and the oven itself was gas. 

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline garyd

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:46:29 AM »
Prices were a little high.  I believe the Margherita was $14 and the Georgio was $16.  The mixed greens salad was $9.  12oz beer (some italian one that was recommended and basically tasted like coors) was $5.  I think with everything the bill was a little over $50 (w/o tip).  It is definitely one of those 'trendy' places.. it is owned by Jet Entertainment group if that tells you anything. 

The oven looked like a pre-fab woodstone, but I didn't get a real close look.  They actually had a stack of wood sitting next to it, and the entire hour or so we were there I never saw anyone load a piece of wood, so I think it was just for show and the oven itself was gas. 

I'm tired of going to these trendy places that get tons of press and almost always being disapointed. I don't think Pizza should be trendy. I've most recently been very disapointed by LaLa's Pizza and Wine Bar. It got several write ups for best thin crust pizza and we thought it was terrible. Two places that have excellent pizza in Denver are Parisi's and Mici.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:07:45 AM »
Abatardi,
Congrats on the upcoming event. However your world domination turns out  ;D
I am sure you have seen pics of my little helper (3 yrs. old) that I have posted, But BEWARE.
No Pizza is being made unless they are allowed to participate I must give her a piece of dough to play with and stretch out or I get NOTHING done!
Maybe we can add to the dough calculators a Kiddie % based on age  :-D
Hope all goes well. Keep us posted  and Congrats!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan