Author Topic: Any Reviews on metal peels?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

Any Reviews on metal peels?
« on: May 11, 2009, 10:25:34 AM »
I've used my wooden peel for years sliding the pizza into the oven and I think I'm ready to upgrade to a metal peel for retrieving the pie from the oven. I THINK this would be a little easier.

Anyone have any thoughts on what is the best out there...being price conscious at the same time though.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Any Reviews on metal peels?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:57:01 AM »
I bought an American Metalcraft one off of eBay. It was a good deal, and works fine.

Jeff

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:05:22 AM »
I have found that the metal peel is great for servicing the pizza after the initial load into the oven.  It's just much easier to get under the crust with it and the pie rotates easily on it also.

Purchased mine thru Superior Products here: http://www.superprod.com/product/cooking/pizza+ovens/pizza+supplies/pizza+peel+19-1-2%27%27+handle%2C+16%27%27+x+18%27%27+blade.do?search=basic&keyword=peel&sortby=bestSellers&page=1 .  Dimensions given are width, then length.  Don't know what brand it is, but seems well built and well balanced.  Price was good & they didn't kill me on shipping.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
I saw there are ones that are round, square, and also have holes in them....any advantages or disadvantages to any of these?
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:57:46 PM »
I saw there are ones that are round, square, and also have holes in them....any advantages or disadvantages to any of these?

I use a large round one with holes for removing excess bench flour from the bottom of the pie and loading into oven. I use a small round one for turning and removing the pie from the oven. I use a rectangular one for loading/unloading pizza bianca, rustic loaves, baguettes, calzones, etc., and removing ashes.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »
AH Ha
Thanks Bill! To remove excesss flour (DUH) thats the reason for the holes. I know I still have a lot to learn. I thought it was for like anti friction or something.
Last time I used metal (solid ) for getting into the wood fired oven I had a sticking issue. So I stick (no pun intented ) to wooded peel ( minimal flour now) to load, all else is done with the  8" metal circular peel. I remember when I got that with the oven I said "what the heck an I going to do with this little thing?" Now I say "what would I do with out it!" I did get a shovel from Fankie G to mess with the coals and that has been a improvement over messing up my key tool.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com