Author Topic: 6n1s in Cinci  (Read 1382 times)

Offline tsmys

6n1s in Cinci
« on: May 16, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »
I'm heading to Cincinnati for a dog show this week end (specifically the Mason-Fairfield area) and was wondering if anyone in the area knows of a local source for 6 in 1 tomatoes.  Thanks

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 6n1s in Cinci
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:32:52 PM »
Hello, TSMYS

The GFS stores here seem to carry them in the #10 large cans, and i have also bought the 28 oz. cans at out local Biggs chain.

I think all of the Biggs carry them, but i could be wrong. I have been to the Biggs over there in a while, it is located on Mason/Montgomerey Rd. if you are not familiar with the area. They are located in the Italian section at my Biggs.

I am not certain of the GFS location, but i believe there is one over on that side of town.

Good luck,
Christopher

p.s. i almost forgot the greatest grocery store in the Cinci area! Jungle Jims.

http://www.junglejims.com/

if you are in this area, i would make this my only stop for italian cheese and tomatoes. They have a large selection. check it out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:37:18 PM by Christopher »

Offline tsmys

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
HI Christopher!

Thanks for the info and the quick reply!  I'm in Lafayette, Indiana which means nowhere remotely close to 6 in 1s :(  Thanks to you I expect my next batch of sauce will be much improved over my usual "Great Value" based sauce.  We do have a GFS store here but I've never seen 6 in 1s there.  I'll talk to the manager next time I'm over there.  Thanks again and have a great weekend

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »
Hi, Tsmys,

No problem at all. It's hard to find quality ingredients and even the chain stores dont carry the same stuff store to store so it makes it hard.

I would say Jungle Jims is the way to go and if you get there it would be worth stocking up! They have all kinds of italian tomatoes there and the prices are pretty good.

If you go in the front and follow towards the deli all the Italian deli meats and the cheese selection is pretty amazing for this area.

You have to the back of the store for all the canned tomatoes and olive oils, and they have a great selection.

If for no other reason the store is great to check out! enjoy.

Christopher

Offline tsmys

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
Just an update;  I checked out Jungle Jim's as you suggested Christopher...  What a store!  I couldn't imagine having to do my weekly shopping at a place that huge but it was a cool way to spend an afternoon.  Made my 1st chicago pie w/ 6in1 sauce the other day and I have to say they lived up to their rep!  Also, before any Lafayette people call me out for the idiot that I am, I checked again at the local GFS and they do stock Escalon products.  I'm in that store almost on a weekly basis but I've always somehow overlooked them.  The 6in1's are with the sauces.  They also have blocks of low moisture-whole milk mozz.  Which brings me to my next question.  Is it better to freeze the extra cheese or just vacuum pack it with the foodsaver and leave it in the fridge?  Thanks for your expert guidance

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:53:35 PM »
Hi, Tsmys,

Glad you liked Jungle Jim's, it can be a bit overwhelming though!

We usually try to hit the place at 9 am when they are first opening to avoid the crazy crowds.

Cant comment on vacuum packing, but i wrap mine in plastic wrap, then drop them into freezer bags and into the freezer they go. I havent noticed too much difference in taste and texture.

Pizza looks really good by the way! yummy.

Christopher

pizzapan