Author Topic: mandolin advice, slicing, not musical  (Read 2729 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
mandolin advice, slicing, not musical
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »
I'm looking for a not too expensive mandolin. I'm hoping it will slice a tomato thin and evenly, as well as other vegetables that could be used for pizza toppings. My wife has some other uses for it. Do they work well? Are the lower priced ones usable? Stuff like that.
I see the prices are all over the place and I'm looking for any info members can provide. Thanks.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: mandolin advice, slicing, not musical
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
I have 2 such devices - a fancy stainless one and a cheap plastic one. The stainless one allows me to adjust the slice thickness to whatever I want while the plastic one has two settings only. Both do a great job on tomatoes, onions, etc. Although both have julienne options, I never use that feature. Both are wicked-sharp and will do great bodily harm if not careful. Which one do I use more often? The cheap plastic one. It's just easier to use and clean.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »
I have one of those cheap Hobel Slicers, works great. I only use it when I'm cutting a bunch of corn off the cob for freezing or for big 5-10 gallon batches of soups and chili and such. USE THE HOLDER/SAFTEY THINGY unless you're extremely quick with the reflexes. I cut my pinky so bad once I still can't feel the end of it from 15 years ago....ok a couple times. "in the same spot", dead as a piece of wood!! For small stuff like pizza and such I enjoy my Forschner knives, great cutlery for the price right there.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Art

• la pizza è la mia vita!!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:09:25 PM »
I've had the "cheap plastic one" for about 20 years and it works now as well as it did when new. I love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Borner-V-1001-Swissmar-V-Slicer-Plus/dp/B0000632QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242518601&sr=8-1
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
I bought an expensive cheap plastic one at a cooking store...this is the one here, and it works great (this is at a great cheap price):

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-carbon-BN1-Benriner-Japanese/dp/B0000VZ57C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242532524&sr=1-2

It is fully adjustable, and you can lock down the distance to blade and produce very consistent cuts.  paper thin onions, mushrooms...tried once on tomatoes, it will work, but you have to choose a more firm tomato to be effective.  Its a must have in our kitchen...

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
I Have the first plastic Swissmar model works great. Warning !! use the holder when slicing Wifey Julienned her index finger not long ago NASTY! Still work great though
J
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:55:59 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. Cheap plastic it is.

Offline zano333

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »
thank you very much

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »
I'm buying this one for $40... OXO Good Grips 1155700 V-Blade Mandoline Slicer. Highly rated by America's test kitchen and Fine Cooking.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001THGPDO/?tag=pizzamaking-20
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline mmarston

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
http://www.chow.com/stories/11001

I second that.

Quite a mix of reviews on that site!
I think some of the earlier OXO models were not very good.

Michael

Offline mmarston

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »
Got my Oxo the other day and have a few observations.
Needed some touch up sharpening out of the box! It works well (even sliced some fresh mozzarella) although the thickest slice is only a 1/4 inch, so if your looking to make thick fries look elsewhere. I would not use this in a commercial kitchen. While it's well made it's still plastic and wouldn't last long in a restaurant.

Michael

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:45:12 AM »
I wanted to thank everyone for all the info. I purchased a Swissmar V slicer and found it to be just what I needed. If I ever get a ripe (firm) tomato from the garden, I'll give it the ultimate test. Tomatoes are a little slow here in Connecticut due to very wet and overcast days.

Offline mmarston

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »
Here's something to make with your mandolin and some of that Zucchini from your garden.
You can use your mandolin  to slice the cheese as well.
Works well with Parmesan or Grana Padano also.

Quick Sauté of Zucchini with Toasted Almonds and Pecorino
A recipe from The Red Cat Cookbook by Jimmy Bradley and Andrew Friedman

We’ve served this dish at The Red Cat since our first dinner back in 1999. It sums up a lot of what I think makes a dish comfortable to both cook and diner: a mere handful of ingredients, each contributing its own important flavor and texture; the whole thing held together with a fine extra-virgin olive oil. It’s that simple, but the flavor is very complex and complete.
Technically speaking, “quick sauté” is almost redundant; to sauté something means to make it “jump in the pan.” But I include quick in the title to emphasize the importance of just barely cooking the zucchini: As soon as it begins to give off a little moisture, get the pan off the burner. The zucchini should be warm, but not too hot. You just want to unlock its flavor and help it meld with those of the almonds and oil.

Serves 4
Ingredients

* 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
    * 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
    * 3 to 4 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1⁄8 by 1⁄8 -inch-thick slices, then crosswise into matchsticks (about 5 cups)
    * Salt
    * Freshly ground black pepper
    * 4 ounces Pecorino Romano, thinly sliced into 12 triangular sheets with an old-fashioned cheese slicer or very sharp knife, or shaved into shards with a vegetable peeler

Divide the oil among 2 large, heavy-bottomed skillets and heat it over high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add half of the almonds to each pan. Cook, tossing or stirring, until the almonds are golden brown, approximately 30 seconds. Add half of the zucchini to each pan and toss or stir to coat the zucchini with the hot oil, just a few seconds. Remove the pans from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and return to the heat for 30 seconds, tossing to distribute the seasoning.

Divide the zucchini and almonds among 4 warm salad plates, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, arrange the Pecorino sheets in a pyramid over each serving, and get it to the table while it’s still nice and hot.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:24:52 PM by mmarston »