Author Topic: Cracker Crust testing  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Cracker Crust testing
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:32:17 AM »
Yesterday I needed a pizza dough for the evening so I wanted to push my DKM based recipe to work for a day rise.  I increased the water temperature to 100F and made the dough around 9 am.  This worked well achieving a flavor very close to the overnight rise.  Next time I will try 110F.

Now for something I can not explain what happened.  If I put the dough for an overnight rise on the counter in a smaller bowl just about the size of the dough ball then nightly seal with plastic wrap and a good rubber band, the dough is much easier to roll out, has more bubbles but the taste falls off.  I have tried this twice and it did it both times.  When I went back to a loose cover and a big bowl for yesterdays pizza it was very hard to roll out but the flavor was better.

Randy’s Thin Crust
Thursday, January 01, 2009

1 pound King Arthur Bread flour
0.3 oz or 2 teaspoon raw or Turbinado sugar or regular sugar
 1 Teaspoon salt
0.7 oz or 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Classico Olive oil
5.8 oz.* warm(90F) water by weight
1 1/2  Teaspoons instant yeast or active yeast

•   Place flour, salt and oil in the mixing bowl then run the mixer on stir speed using the paddle attachment while yeast blooms. 
•   Weigh the warm 90F water
•   Add sugar and yeast to the water then stir to dissolve.
•   Set aside for 5 minutes.
•   With the mixer still running, add the liquid mixture.
•   Let the mixer continue to run for 1 minute
•   Stop the mixer and press the dough into a ball while squeezing the gaps together.  This dough will look strange and very dry.
•   Put the ball back in the mixer bowl and cover the mixer bowl  with Saran wrap and leave on counter top overnight but 16-24 hours is better.  I make mine in the late afternoon for supper the next night.
•   Roll out dough (not easy) to about 20" in diameter which should get it around 1/16” thick.  Place on 16" pizza pan then use the roller to cut off excess dough.  Use a fork or docker to prick holes randomly on the bottom of the pan but not the sides. 
•   Place the crust in a 475F oven on the bottom rack for 5 minutes to par bake. 
•   Remove and add toppings.  I use a half-pound of cheese and one cup of sauce plus toppings.
•   Place back in the oven using the bottom shelf.  Bake for 8 minutes.  Remove when cheese just barely starts to brown.  If you want, turn the pizza around at the 5-minute mark for even browning.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Cracker Crust testing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »
Randy
Ant pics of the finished pie from May 22? I would be interested in a same day Cracker crust. So loose cover big bowl right? I am a big guy so I can handle the rolling out part.  I would prefer the better flavor
Love that stuff.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
John I should have taken a picture but hunger won out over photographic documentation. ;D  It looked just like the pizza on this older post.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1628.0.html

Randy

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »
been there done that!
Hard to wait at times when the taste buds are calling other pics look great!. My finished dough for the dkm does not look quite that dry after mixing but does require squeezing together to form the ball.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com