Author Topic: Is my oven too small or bad wood?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Is my oven too small or bad wood?
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:14:28 AM »
I've been having a hard time getting a fire to go in our little oven.  Oven is 24" diameter, 12" ID height, 13" wide opening, by about 7" height.  We're using kindling bought at a local nursery which is supposedly seasoned.   It just does not seem to want to light.      I am not sure if I'm not trying hard enough (maybe too much wood (6 or 8 pieces) and not enough paper? wet wood, not enough oxygen or what.   Part of the problem is that there is very little room to work with in there...   not sure what to try next.   
Patrick

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: Is my oven too small or bad wood?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »
wet wood is a big problem it make it very hard to get a good fire.... its much better wen the wood is very dry.

another thing that helps allot, is to get a low water alcohol and drizzle over the news paper and wood to help the fire to get going.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »
I don't recall how you finally finished your oven Patrick?I know you were unsure about venting the last time I saw a photo?If your kindling is dry,then I suspect it might be airflow.I always start with a few rolled up newspaper "pretzels" and then the kindling.If the sucker is still stubborn ,then I'll drench a paper towel with some olive oil and that usually does the trick.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline AZ-Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »
I use 3 or 4 Webber Firestarters.  They are non-toxic and work great everytime.  No need for newspapers or anything else. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »
I start with a tiny piece 1 inch by 2 inch of starter topped with diced dry kindling. No News paper, no oil no anything The thing is raging in 5 min! How is your draft how big is chimney pipe diameter and Height above oven? Get a moisture reader for the wood so you can rule that in or out.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I wonder if the wood is a little damp.  It's hard for me to really know but I guess one of these moisture readers will help.  For the vent, I ended up patching up the vent that I had in the dome because I think I was losing too much heat there.    I guess should have mentioned we were able to get some fires going last year but different wood (that was actually just twigs from around the yard) and that was before I patched up the vent.  Now it has to vent through the opening.   
Patrick

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »
Cactus burner
is a great way to get a fire started quickly.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 09:44:49 PM »

Go to the forno bravo website and in their video section you will see a video on firing their primavera oven.  Should be helpful

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 12:43:36 PM »
Maybe I am just not getting enough oxygen?

I never had any problems before when I had a huge 4" hole in the dome (chimney).  Since I patched that up, can't get anything to burn.  :-[
Patrick

pizzapan