Author Topic: My First Sicilian  (Read 3788 times)

Offline zalicious

My First Sicilian
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:33:12 PM »
I made a pizza tonight inspired by a recipe by Bond 007. Sorry, I can't give a link 'cause I'm a noob  :'(  I used:
3c BF
1c Semolina
1T IDY
1T sugar
1t salt
1/4c OO
and about 1 1/8c water
My bread machine did the mixing & kneading, & then I plopped it into an oiled bowl to rise for a couple of hours. I then smooshed it into an oiled roasting pan, & let it rest about 25 min before putting on the toppings. That was my mistake, as it came out too breadlike. But, boy was it delicious! ;D The crust was wonderfully crispy, yet tender, & the flavor fantastic. Any recommendations on when to dress this kind of pie? Should I have done it as soon as I spread it into the pan? Oh, yeah, I baked it in the center of my oven @ 450 for 20 min.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: My First Sicilian
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »
Actually you did the right thing.  It is customary for sicilian pizzas to rest in the pan and rise a bit before baking.  You are probably just used to pizzas made with bromated flour.  I have never found a pizzeria making sicilian pizza without using it.  Be glad that you are staying away from the bromate as it is potentially a carcinogen.  Maybe you can play with omitting the semolina, or using different mixing procedures to change the texture.  A wetter dough might help as well.  Good luck!

Offline zalicious

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:09:54 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions; as I will absolutely be trying this again. My crust rose to about 1 inch, a bit higher than I wanted or expected. It's been SO long since I've had an authentic one. I've forgotten how tall it should  be?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:13:37 AM »
Some places do go as high as 1 inch.  I would go for about 3/4 myself.

Offline Rock808

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 03:27:20 AM »
What size pan did you use and where did you get it?

Offline zalicious

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 06:49:58 PM »
At the time I was using an enameled broiler pan ( I think it came with the oven?). It measures about 10x13" on the bottom &  11 1/2x14" across the top, and a little less than 1 1/2" deep. It worked very well, & is a nice size for a big scrumptious Sicilian pie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:51:48 PM by zalicious »

Offline perna

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »
I used the broiler pan to make a sicilian pie last night, used the pizza hut recipe and it came out AMAZING!

I do need to adjust either the temp or the cooking time a bit. I prebaked the crust with a bit of sauce for 10 mins, which was a bit too long because when I topped it and put it back in to bake the crust was done in 5 mins but the cheese wasnt done. Only took 2 mins under the broiler to melt the cheese but the crust got a bit over done in a few spots.

Next pie I will only prebake for 5 mins, top it and bake for 10 mins, I will keep it at 450 and see how it works.

pizzapan