Author Topic: left stone in self cleaning oven, and it changed colors  (Read 2073 times)

Offline jonwell

left stone in self cleaning oven, and it changed colors
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:56:59 PM »
This probably deserves a laugh, so feel free  :-D

Title says it all.  Ran the self cleaning mode, forgot to take the stone out, and it turned from a nice brick/brown color to sort of ash grey/white.  I've tapped it with a spoon and it seems solid (it rings nicely anyway), but it's still hot so I don't want to take it out and handle it.  Is it still serviceable? Should I be worried?

Thanks!  I registered just to post this, but i've been reading here for a while- love the forum :)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: left stone in self cleaning oven, and it changed colors
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:24:25 AM »
I actually think this is the best method for cleaning your pizza stone.  I do it all the time.  I think you will be fine!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »
Ditto what Scott said, when cool wipe off with a damp cloth. I also clean my stone like this. I have a Fibrament stone and it holds up quite nicely to this.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline jonwell

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »
hah, good to know!  I picked it up just now and it seems solid and undamaged... and remarkably clean!

Thanks guys!

-j

Offline aicfuel

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
I recently did the same thing. I'll post some pictures. My stone gets black when it gets used a lot and the self cleaning pretty much baked off the black and turned it into an ash gray. In the picture you will see the center looks new and the edges look grey because they used to look black. There's one spot where it is still black and the other dark spots are from the last time I used it after cleaning.