Author Topic: Shakey's Auburn, Alabama  (Read 3190 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Shakey's Auburn, Alabama
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
Shakey’s Pizza Auburn, Alabama

I have been eating at Shakey’s since the days in Sacramento when minors were banished to a separate room. I’m in my 60s now.  I have traveled to distant Shakey’s since the closure in Sacramento. When I lived in El Segundo, cultural center of LA, I ate at the Inglewood parlor on Arbor Vitae every week.

My bias: Shakey’s is the best pizza there is when it is made in the original style.
Having stated that, I can happily announce Shakey’s is back and located in Auburn, Alabama, (10:30 -10:00 daily). We were on a 2000 mile pilgrimage and an escape from Montgomery Al, (about 55 miles away along I85).  My wife and I were there last Tuesday, 19 May 2009, at the end of buffet time, and we were in Shakey’s paradise. It had mojo potatoes, chicken, and most importantly, the original thin crust masterpiece. The manager, Wayne, asked if we wanted anything special and we ordered pepperoni and sausage- the gold standard. Fantastic. Just like you first remember.

The place is extremely clean, modern, and loaded with nostalgia. Rare memorabilia is abundant and is displayed in glass cases. The manager Wayne was professional, hospitable, and courteous. This Shakey’s is a class operation.

In the past, Shakey’s lost its way and broke a few hearts and stomachs, and I can be a very harsh critic of Shakey’s past. But this was southern redemption.

The first thing I noticed upon entering the Auburn Shakey’s was the sheeter on the long bench. Mandatory for great pizza. I knew I was home – a sweet home, Alabama. I believe in supporting the best, and when it comes to Shakey’s pizza parlors, this is one of the very best.

Bill

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Shakey's Auburn, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »
Bill:

Thanks for your review of the new Shakey's in Auburn, AL.  I have been a little skeptical that the new Shakey's franchises would live up to the old style Shakey's, particularly where the pizza itself was concerned.  I was afraid they would have done away with the old recipes but I am happy to hear from you that such is not the case.  :D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline pizzapro

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:27:14 AM »
Wow, who knew they still had Shakey's franchises? My first pizza was in a Shakey's in Huntsville AL many years ago. They haven't had Shakey's Pizza there for a long, long time. Good to see a new one popping up in Auburn!

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 06:36:56 PM »
Forgot to mention they use a Blodgett oven at 500 degress.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
Good to know, Bill, thanks.  This goes against advertising I've seen from the 60's that mentions a 750 degree oven.  I'm not sure Blodgett ever made deck ovens that went to 750 degrees.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 11:04:22 PM »
Shakey's original had a brick oven and as children we would watch as the cooks would use the long handles to retrieve the pizzas. Then came the monster oven with slate floors I believe. They would take an hour to heat up in the morning.  I saw one Shakey's in LA with an oven that was like a carousel with pizzas moving up and down. (I may have had a couple of beers while waiting).

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
I saw one Shakey's in LA with an oven that was like a carousel with pizzas moving up and down. (I may have had a couple of beers while waiting).
:-D :-D :-D
Let them eat pizza.