Author Topic: June 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Family Supper"  (Read 5955 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
June 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Family Supper"
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »
A day early, here is the theme for June:

"Family Supper"

You are free to interpret in any way you wish for making a pizza.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline s00da

Re: June 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Family Supper"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 09:37:39 AM »
It's mid-june already! come one post something  :P

I made pizzas for the family today and among them I probably made my best looking Margherita ever. I guess I hit the sweet spot balancing the ingredients. The charring was also superior.

Ingredients:
1- Dough made with Ischia that's fermented for 24 hours at room temperature.
2- Crushed tomatoes that were slightly cooked for thickening.
3- Fresh mozzarella.
4- Basil.
5- Extra virgin olive oil.
4- Sprinkling of romano cheese, I don't like using salt.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:39:11 AM by s00da »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »
Very Nice sOOda! I still have not got the ishia going, this is a good reminder of why I need to start.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
For this month’s “Family Supper” Monthly Challenge, I decided to make a pizza that I have threatened on more than one occasion to make—a “Chicken Liver” pizza. However, rather than give it that inelegant “swine flu” type of name that has everyone scurrying for the exits, I elected to call it the “Epicurean Pizza”. Once your kids try this “Epicurean Pizza” as a “family supper”, they will be clamoring for more. As soon as you return home from work and open the door to greet your family, they will be yelling “Dad (or Mom), PLEEEZE, PLEEEZE, will you make an Epicurean Pizza for us? We will stop playing video games, tweeting and try to get all A’s if you do!! We’ll even pay for our cell phone bills.”

Believe it or not, I had a very difficult time finding any fresh chicken livers to make this pizza. I saw frozen chicken livers in one supermarket but I could not find any fresh ones after looking for several days at several stores. I finally asked the butcher behind the counter at a local high-end supermarket near me if he had any fresh chicken livers out back that he was ashamed or embarrassed to put out front. He said he didn’t have any but that he would order some for me and they would be in the store after two days. True to his word, he ordered them and, when he saw me approach him on the appointed day, he gave me a big smile and two thumbs up. He exuberantly said that he had ordered several “tubs” and they were almost sold out, and that was at about 10 AM. I think I may have convinced him that there is actually a viable market for fresh chicken livers. If my chicken liver pizza recipe gets out, there may even be a run on the fresh chicken liver market.

In any event, the Epicurean Pizza is more than just chicken livers. The pizza also includes caramelized onions, mushrooms, and garlic. The onions I used were the Texas 1015 onions that are naturally sweet. However, the caramelization (in butter) makes them even sweeter. I used one large onion but, after the pizza was made and tasted, I concluded that two large onions would have been even better. The mushrooms were a mixture of lightly sautéed sliced mushrooms (sautéed in a combination of butter and olive oil) and raw sliced mushrooms. I also added a few tablespoons of Harvey’s Bristol Cream sherry to the sautéed mushrooms for additional elegance and flavor.

The chicken livers were prepared by dusting them in a combination of all-purpose flour, salt and freshly ground black pepper and then lightly sautéing them in butter. I tried different size pieces of the chicken livers, from small, medium to large pieces. They all seemed to work. I estimate that I used a total of about 3/4 pound of chicken livers. After I removed the chicken livers from the sauté pan, I added a bit more butter and olive oil and lightly sautéed two diced garlic cloves. The butter/oil and garlic served as the base for the pizza. On that base, I added a small amount of shredded low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese. I then added some of the caramelized onions and some of the sliced mushrooms. This was followed by the rest of the shredded mozzarella cheese and the remaining caramelized onions and mushrooms. I did not want to overdo the cheese, so I used about 5.5 ounces total. The lightly sauteed chicken livers went on top. I also added some dried thyme (dried from fresh thyme I had purchased) for added flavor.

I didn’t know what to expect of the Epicurean Pizza as I assembled it to be baked. However, when it was done and I sampled it, I was very pleased. I thought that the pizza was excellent. The pizza I made was 14”. I estimate that the ingredient costs were $6.16. The pizza weighed around 34 ounces, baked. So, unless your kids can’t get enough chicken livers, that is a real bargain for a “family supper”, especially in these difficult economic times. A couple of photos follow.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:56:21 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline jgame

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:37:02 PM »
Pete-zza,

Pies look great. What dough recipe did you use?
jgame

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:51:52 PM »
Pete-zza,

Pies look great. What dough recipe did you use?
jgame

jgame,

Thank you. I used a dough recipe that I reworked for another member on another thread. I will be posting the recipe over the next day or so. It is similar to a Papa John's dough recipe but with a thinner crust and less sugar in the dough.

I am waiting to see the following some day, maybe from Papa John's:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:58:23 PM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »
What dough recipe did you use?

jgame,

I have provided the details on the dough recipe I used at Reply 27 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8685.msg75983.html#msg75983. That was an experimental dough formulation that I decided to test out and it seemed suitable for the chicken liver pizza application. I could have used any number of different dough formulations to make the pizza, including a Papa John's dough clone with garlic sauce and a pepperoncini pepper  ;D.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:18:35 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »
That sounds great Peter, I love liver. Gives me an idea for Rumaki Pizza....gotta be good!
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »
Jon,

A Rumaki or similar pizza should do quite well. I finished off the leftover slices from my chicken liver pizza the other day and they were very good. I was sorry to see the pizza come to and end.

When I first moved to Texas, I was surprised as I drove over a good part of the state to find how many places served chicken livers. Not only chicken livers but gizzards too. I remember one restaurant--I believe it was in the Pittsburg, TX area near the Pilgrims Pride chicken processing plant--that had a big sign--the only sign on the building--that read, in big letters: LUNCHES LIVERS GIZZARDS. I found that so funny that I took a photo of the place. I found it today to confirm my memory.

When I did a Google search recently, I found places all over the state of Texas that still serve chicken livers and gizzards. A couple examples, common ones, are these: http://texasdriveinn.com/tesxasdriveinn_website_003.htm and http://www.poporestaurant.com/Dinner%20Menu.htm.

Peter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »
"Family Supper" brought to my mind a family sized pie with the exact toppings each family member wants.  I thought the easiest way to accomplish this would be with a cracker dough sized to bake on the quarry tiles in my oven.  I made a 45% hydrated cracker dough using KA bread flour.  I made a four layer lamination using my rolling pin and ended up with a piece of dough which is 18" by 12", one eighth inch thick, which weighed 17.5 ounces.  It was refrigerated 30 hours and then was made into 8 different combinations.
The scary part about this pizza was that I because I like to bake these skins right on the tiles, I really didn't have a clue what the correct oven temperature should be.  I baked this pizza on 620 degree tiles.. it took exactly 5 minutes to bake (the beef and sausage balls were put on raw).  If I could do it again, the oven would be turned down to about 575 degrees...I ended up using a screen at about the 4 minute mark to slow down the browning of the bottom.  You can see from the pictures, I got good oven spring on this pizza....the bottom was crispy, but the pizza was very tender.

John
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:48:17 PM by fazzari »

Offline Chris_R

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »
Some good looking pies in here. I'll have to post up mine from this past friday when I get home from work.

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »
I'm interpreting this theme slightly differently...the toppings i've put on this are something my other half would never eat...but she's away for a couple days, so im taking advantage of that and having something i want for family supper, but will never usually get!

Being Scottish, i've decided to do a Scottish/Italian theme on this one.

The pizza is topped with a 70/30 mix of mozzarella and Scottish cheddar, Scottish black pudding and Scottish haggis. If you dont know what haggis is, google it lol you'll soon see why my other half refuses to eat the stuff! basically a mix of offal with oatmeal/spices etc i live in England now but i brought the black pudding and haggis back from our last visit up there.

The dough i used is one i've been messing around with for a couple of weeks with the help of Pete-zza, and this came out absolutely spot on for my liking. This was for an 8" pie, thickness factor of 0.12.

Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
IDY (0.5%):
Salt (1.67%):
Olive Oil (5.39%):
Sugar (1.19%):
Total (168.75%):
103.87 g  |  3.66 oz | 0.23 lbs
62.32 g  |  2.2 oz | 0.14 lbs
0.52 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.17 tsp | 0.06 tbsp
1.73 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.31 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
5.6 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.24 tsp | 0.41 tbsp
1.24 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.31 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
175.28 g | 6.18 oz | 0.39 lbs | TF = 0.123

This is also the first time i autolysed the flour/water.

The crust was crisp but soft inside, coloured nicely and i really like the extra texture gained from using cornmeal on the peel instead of more flour.

As for the taste, i think it tastes great, the black pudding gives it a nice peppery kick and the haggis has a mix of spices that seem to work great, im really pleased with it.

So without further ado, here's my entry, the Braveheart Pizza!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:05:02 PM by 5thElement »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »
I'm a big blood sausage fan so it sounds great to me......
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »
5thElement,

That's another one you won't get from Papa John's anytime soon. But, in Scotland, who knows? (Yes, Papa John's is in Scotland too.)

Peter

pizzapan