Author Topic: Boar's Head Products  (Read 5395 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
Boar's Head Products
« on: February 11, 2005, 12:04:19 AM »
Does anybody have any experience or info on Boar's Head products?

They are pretty big around here as far as deli's posting their signs saying that they carry their meat products etc.

Tonight i found a deli that sells their whole milk and part skim mozzarella in big blocks and they also have pre-cut and un-cut log pepperoni (pepperoni tastes damn good).

im curious about the quality.

if anybody has tried it please post your experience.

8)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Boar's Head Products
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 07:39:53 AM »
Boar's Head products are considered the "best of the best" here in Virginia. They make truly excellent hot dogs (frankfurters) and their deli meats are good too, my favorite being Boar's Head hard salami. Never tried their cheese.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Giovanni

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 02:09:32 PM »
Yea, Boars Head hot dogs are the best i've ever had. A local market in my town sells their products. The first whole milk mozz i ever tried was boars head. It had a decent flavor and it melted ok, definetly better than the 'fresh' mozz they sell along side it. I've never been impressed with any of the imported stuff.

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 12:06:03 AM »
Boar's Head does indeed have a solid reputation in most parts of the country, including NYC.  However, I have found this reputation to be somewhat overrated and not warranted.  While Boar's Head products are not bad, they do not warrant paying premium prices for them, as I would not classify them as premium products.  This is especially true with the Boar's Head pepperoni.  I find it to be some of the least tasty pepperoni on the market.  This is just a personal opinion, of course.  At the end of the day though, I regard Boar's Head as a product that does not nearly meet the hype that it has received.  However, Boar's Head products are not necessarily bad, just not as good as some have made them out to be.

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 03:07:21 AM »
Friz,
what pepperoni do you use and like best?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 08:24:43 AM »
My favorite pepperoni is now Fiorucci pepperoni, it has an exceptionally good flavor IMHO. I buy it in the small 7 oz. sticks and slice it myself. It is cased in callogen so it "cups" when cooked. I've tried all of the national brands and the Fiorucci is by far the best. My local Ukrop's sells the Fiorucci at the deli counter.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 12:10:23 AM »
I'll have to try the Fiorucci brand pepperoni, as I don't think I've had it before.  I don't think I can say that I have a favorite brand of pepperoni right now but Steve's feedback is very helpful and I look forward to trying it.  It would be great to hear from others on this as well.  I do know that I'm not crazy about Boar's Head pepperoni and most pre-sliced pepperoni.

pizzapan