Author Topic: Whole vs. Crushed? - canned tomatoes  (Read 1086 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Whole vs. Crushed? - canned tomatoes
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
I have been using whole tomatoes to make my sauce.  I use Carmelina tomatoes (thanks Bill/SFNM!).  Generally following Bill's approach, I remove the tomatoes from the can (not using the liquid remaining), remove the stems, and then crush up the tomatoes.  i often add a bit of salt and sugar and maybe some oregano.

I tend to stay away from crushed tomatoes because I have developed an uninformed opinion/prejudice that those tomatoes are of lesser quality.  Bruised rejects?  The liquid from the can of whole tomatoes is "mixed in?"

Is that simply wrong?  Are the canned crushed tomatoes of the same quality as the whole tomatoes? (holding the brand constant).

What are your thoughts/experiences?

- Mitch

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Whole vs. Crushed? - canned tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
I've found in many cases, the crushed are better tasting. I don't think they are necessarily the rejects - rather the ones that are too ripe and soft to pack whole. This is just my speculation. I can't tell you for sure this is the case.  I'm not a particularly big fan of them because I don't like the bits of skin.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »
 ^^^  I am a crushed fan.  Probably because I'm kind of lazy!  But the thing with crushed tomatoes is that you have to find a brand with the right viscosity.  Some crushed tomatoes are too watery to make a good sauce. But some are perfect right out of the can. The two that I have found to have the right consistency are Pastene and Colavita.  Both from Garden State tomatoes. I love California but I guess NJ has us beat as far as great tasting crushed tomatoes. 

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »
I've found in many cases, the crushed are better tasting. I don't think they are necessarily the rejects - rather the ones that are too ripe and soft to pack whole. This is just my speculation. I can't tell you for sure this is the case.  I'm not a particularly big fan of them because I don't like the bits of skin.
I'm with Craig on this one.

I go for crushed more often than not.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
The difference between crushing whole myself and buying ready crushed is, to my taste buds, very trivial.

When you consider time saved....it's crushed over whole, 8 days a week!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:44:37 AM by Hobbs »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »
Put me in the "crushed" corner! Open the same brands whole and crushed tomatoes side by side and the crushed will be the best 9 out of 10 times.

Offline Chifunda

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 08:17:10 AM »
Put me in the "crushed" corner! Open the same brands whole and crushed tomatoes side by side and the crushed will be the best 9 out of 10 times.

Based on my own personal experience and taste preference, ditto.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
. The two that I have found to have the right consistency are Pastene and Colavita.  Both from Garden State tomatoes. I love California but I guess NJ has us beat as far as great tasting crushed tomatoes.

I have never seen any statement on Pastene tomatoes or their website stating that Pastene's are Jersey tomatoes, where did you find that out? I know the Colavita's are Jersey, as are Sclafani, LaFede and Jersey Fresh.