Author Topic: Pastene tomatoes  (Read 6533 times)

Offline Chet

Pastene tomatoes
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »

I stopped in a Italian specialty store today to do some shopping. I picked up some cornmeal to make an Italian dish called Polenta, I was asking the store owner I want to make a sauce for the polenta, I was ready to get a can of San Marzano tomatoes, he said at home he uses Pastene Kitchen ready ground tomatoes, well to make it short, the sauce I made was delicious, simple got some fresh basil and parsley from my garden and sauteed some onions & garlic and that's it. I wonder if anyone made pizza sauce with this wonderful tomato product.

Chet

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
Re: Pastene tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 02:06:18 AM »

I stopped in a Italian specialty store today to do some shopping. I picked up some cornmeal to make an Italian dish called Polenta, I was asking the store owner I want to make a sauce for the polenta, I was ready to get a can of San Marzano tomatoes, he said at home he uses Pastene Kitchen ready ground tomatoes, well to make it short, the sauce I made was delicious, simple got some fresh basil and parsley from my garden and sauteed some onions & garlic and that's it. I wonder if anyone made pizza sauce with this wonderful tomato product.

Chet

I was just about to start a thread extolling the virtues of this stuff myself- what are the odds. It makes for outstanding pizza sauce; in fact, I don't bother seeking out anything else any more. About the only drawback I can think of is that it's a bit on the thick and chunky side and so spreads on the pie with more difficulty than I would like.

-JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »

Chet

Pastene makes a great product, I them all the time.  The San Marzano's are pretty expensive ($4.50) a can, but well worth it.  I haven't tried the ground tomato on pizza yet, I will soon.

Offline FirePie

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »
Pastene are one of my favorite brands tried so far. I still haven't been privileged enough to get hold of the famous 6 In 1 brand, but I would imagine Pastene comes close in terms of flavor and texture. I also use Rienzi or Sclafani whole peeled plum tomatoes, which taste great as well. Rienzi tomatoes are packed without salt or preservatives of any kind, so I use them extensively. They're also inexpensive where I live, usually within the same price range as Pastene.

Happy Baking/Eating!!!!

-FirePie-

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »
Hey all I have tried a few and a few to go whenever I see a little Italian gourmet store I pop in and see what they have I am now finding a few good ones in my local Shop Rite too Pastene, La Fede 7/11's I like to have just a few on hand in case of emergency  ;D Hey Ya never know  heres  my  flour/ tomatoe cabinet. I keep the #10 cans on another shelf, and the 6 in 1s in a special spot on their own shelf too!
Yes crazy but fun trying all of them. 1 can at a time this is the busy season for me and my WFO!
Try the crushed  Matthew youll love em!
John
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:33:27 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BTB

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:58:32 AM »
Wow, John, that's quite a collection.  Some people are stamp collectors.  Some are coin collectors.  But hey man, I'm with you.  Love those great tomatoes.  Can you rank those for us?  I have not had good luck with any of the Cento brand tomatoes.  My favorite so far is, of course, 6 in 1, but am always looking for some other great stuff.  The Pastenes I once had was very, very good, but now I have a hard time finding it.           --BTB

Offline Chet

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »

I see you have some Luigi Vitelli, hope you like it, I thought it was one of my poorer choices. in fact RedPack is MUCH better. I tried a #10 can of Carmelina brand San Marzano's awhile back, good choice. I made a Marinara pasta sauce the other day using Pastene Kitchen ready ground tomatoes.  another HMMMM good choice.

Chet

Offline mollies mom

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »
Pastene brand are some great tomatoes. I first picked up a can of the ground while visiting my sister up in NC, a nice Italian Deli in Wilmington had them. I use them for making a nice light sauce with chicken. I also use them on our pizza now, I add some fresh oregano, salt and a half teaspoon of sugar to the can after draining off some of the juice, the sauce has just slight chunks of tomato pulp and doesn;t make the dough soggy it has a nice fresh taste. I finally found them locally (LA) and bought all they had on the shelf. The manager saw me and asked if I was making sauce for an army and I told him that it seems everytime I find something we like they discontinue it so I was stocking up while I could. He promised to try and keep it on the shelf for me.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:19:28 PM »
I also like Pastene crushed tomatoes, I rate them just sligtly below 6-in-1, but real close.

Offline mollies mom

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 10:47:16 PM »
I just used up my last two cans tonight and so it's off to the store tomorrow for more. I am hoping they are still on the shelf. ;D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »
Used a can of Pastene's today to make pasta (red) sauce, boy did they smell nice when I opened the can!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
I just used some Pastene ground tomatoes for pizza sauce. The flavor is marvelous, and the consistency for pizza sauce is just perfect. You can use them straight out of the can or dress them up any way you like.  They taste fine as a sauce all by themselves.  Very flavorful and balanced.  Highly recommended! 

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 04:49:02 PM »
I picked up a couple cases of Pastene ground peeled this weekend at Shaws for $1/can. Get em' while you can!

I got them in Southeastern Massachusetts

Josh

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »
I'm partial to Sclafani, but how does Pastene stack up against Sclafani? I know I've seen them frequently here in NJ so I will have to pick up a can or 2.
Chaz

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
They're both good, but I'd choose Sclafani over Pastene. For a long time, before I discovered Sclafani's , I used Pastene.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
the picture up above looks kinda like the shelf out in my garage!  ::)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
In Calif Pastene tomato products are carried by Bristolfarms stores found here:

http://www.bristolfarms.com/locations.php
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 07:13:23 PM »
In Calif Pastene tomato products are carried by Bristolfarms stores found here:

http://www.bristolfarms.com/locations.php

However, the Bristol Farms in Newport Beach, CA does not have Pastene tomatoes. I know because I looked just last week.  Maybe others do, but I wonder if they stopped carrying the brand. If anyone else has a Bristol Farms nearby maybe you can take a look. The NB Bristol Farms does carry Carmelina however. 

I did find Pastene tomatoes at Claro's Italian Market in Tustin.  Claro's really has a very extensive collection of canned tomatoes.   Their pricing is on the high side ($3.50 a can as I recall). 

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »
$3.50 a can! That's highway robbery, they go for about a buck and a half around here.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
$3.50 a can! That's highway robbery, they go for about a buck and a half around here.

I figured about that. Claro's is just kind of expensive for all kinds of stuff. They sell those Calabrian peppers for like $13.50 a jar! I'm not sure what they are supposed to cost but I think they can't be that expensive in most stores or no one would buy them.  But we are really short on good Italian delis in Southern California, so you take what you can get.  I'd love to know of another place to buy Pastene tomatoes, so if any of you So.Cal. pizzamakers know where I should be buying them cheaper than at Claro's, spill! 

pizzapan