Author Topic: 6 in 1 All Purpose Crushed Tomatoes - Best place online for them?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
Being from the south burbs (Homewood, IL), I didn't have a hard time finding this product locally...having been in Sioux Falls, SD for the past 10 years....nobody has a clue what I'm talkin bout out here. 

I've used Escalon before..but $3.33 per can or whatever seem a bit much....anybody got some intel on this?

Thanks.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: 6 in 1 All Purpose Crushed Tomatoes - Best place online for them?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
Witt,

I don't know if you have Safeway in your area but they sell them for about $2.19 per 28oz can. Well, at least here in California - Bay Area.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Witt

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
I wish.....Safeway from what I've seen is a Western US thing.  We have places like HyVee (local Midwest), Walmart, and Sunshine (sucks).  Walmart offers an ok clone product, but the real thing has a more full flavor in my opinion. 

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:18:59 PM »
You can buy from escalons website.

Offline TronCarter

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »
I know they don't have any stores in SD, but here in Michigan (and southern IL) we have Gordon's Food Service and they sell the 6-in-1's in the 10# cans.  You might try to look for a local store that is like that.  One that sells larger quantity goods that would sell to restaurants or caterers.  I was surprised for find that my local GFS has 6-in-1's, high gluten flour, heavy pizza pans, good cutters, big bags of pepperoni, lots of good stuff.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »
I wish.....Safeway from what I've seen is a Western US thing.  We have places like HyVee (local Midwest), Walmart, and Sunshine (sucks).  Walmart offers an ok clone product, but the real thing has a more full flavor in my opinion. 

There are a couple of Safeways in Rapid City but I guess a cross-state trip for a few cans of 6 in 1 is out of the question for you.  :-\
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Deacon Volker

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »
When I first started "playing" at home I just asked some folks with a little coffee shop if I could have them include a case on their weekly order once in a while.  No problem, they weren't in the pizza business so there wasn't going to be any conflict of interests there.  I've gotten some 6N1's, All Trump and some other stuff that way.  I think they marked them up slightly, like 10% or so to cover their time, but it worked for me.  Go get to know your coffee shop guys. ;)

Offline Witt

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if anyone read the question I posed..lol

I've been to all my local stores about 100 times and looked through and tried all products related to pizza making..if they had it any of my local stores I wouldn't be asking about the best place to buy them online...haha   ::)

....as stated, I've bought them from the Escalon site..but there's no "deal" there.  That said, there must be no deals or better prices to be had online.  Thanks.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if anyone read the question I posed..lol

I've been to all my local stores about 100 times and looked through and tried all products related to pizza making..if they had it any of my local stores I wouldn't be asking about the best place to buy them online...haha   ::)

....as stated, I've bought them from the Escalon site..but there's no "deal" there.  That said, there must be no deals or better prices to be had online.  Thanks.

Witt,

Escalon's website states that if you buy 6 or more cans, you'll get an $0.83 price reduction, which would amount to a whopping $2.50 per can, down from $3.33. Furthermore, the shipping is only a buck fifty for six cans. I don't know what you would classify as a "deal" but I think it doesn't get any better than that, online-wise.
Mike

Offline D.B.Cooper

• D.B. Cooper
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
Here in Colorado I have yet to find 6 in 1. We are also regular shoppers of Safeway (for you Midwest folks its Dominick's I think).