Author Topic: Help - Need 24 hour recipe  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
Help - Need 24 hour recipe
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I whipped up some of Glutenboy's dough (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.msg66669.html#msg66669) on Wednesday night in preparation for having people over for pizza tomorrow.  I've made this dough before and it has easily gone 4 days in the fridge.  Well, maybe it's the hot and humid Baltimore summer weather, but it appears as if it may not make it until tomorrow night.  The dough has risen significantly in the containers and there are all kinds of little bubbles.  Both are good things if I were to be making pizza tonight!!

Can anyone refer me to a recipe that I can make today and let sit in the fridge until tomorrow? 

Can I just try the same recipe but up the yeast and maybe lower the salt?

Offline ThunderStik

Re: Help - Need 24 hour recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »
Tbomb, hold on let me go find my book.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »
What I do would work well for you...  Do you know your DDW (Desired Dough Weight)?

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:57:27 AM »
Tbomb, I would say in my personal opinion you will be fine. I as of late have been going with slightly overfermented doughs as I like the flavor more, while it is not as robust to handle to me its not a big deal.

Looking at GB's recipe I would think your ok where your at as long as its in the fridge, and it stays there. I have been going well past the point where I experience a good bit of rise in the fridge and had good results. Dont worry the dough wont taste sour or anything but it should be slightly more complex.

If you are still worried and feel the need to make another batch let me know, but basically the recipe is the same for a 24 hr, protocal is slightly different but basics are the same.  Like I said I think that your just fine.

(in my house)

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:17:29 AM »
UnConundrum - My desired dough weight is 380 grams.

ThunderStik - My main concern with the dough becoming overfermented is that the dough will have very little oven spring and will just be kind of flat (albeit flavorful).  I normally let the dough come to room temperature for about 1.5 hours before baking.  During this time, the dough typically rises a little as well.  Should I shorten this time knowing that the dough may be more difficult to stretch to the desired size??

Thanks!!

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
If you follow my instructions at www.recipesonrails.com your formula would be:

210 grams flour
168 grams water
  4 grams salt
  1 gram yeast (instant)

Mix all the ingredients by hand in a bowl, cover and let sit 20 minutes.
Put dough on a well floured work table, flour the top of the dough, brushing off excess and fold as directed HERE
Wait 20 minutes, fold again.
Wait 20 minutes, fold again.
Wait 20 minutes, divide and shape.  Store in the fridge till ready to use.

No need to knead.

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »
Tbomb, In reading GB's protocal. I completely missed the "room temp bulk rise for a few hours". Im sorry and thats my fault.

This really makes me worry a bit as I dont know what your water temp or your room temp where at this time. Now after factoring in this info. Im not real sure where your dough is. I wish I was there.

Do you have a mixer or are you hand kneading?

One of the easiest protocals I use for a 24 hr is as follows.

60% hyd
1.5-2% salt
IDY .4% (I have used up .7% for a 24hr dough)
Honey 3%

For a mixer
Dissolve the honey in the water. Throw everything except the salt in the mixer bowl and let it go for about 20-30 min. During mixing I take notice not to let the dough just sit and spin with the dough just being torn apart so you may have to pull it off the hook.

Pull the dough, seperate it and ball it up. Put it directly in the fridge in oiled covered containers.

Remove and let set about 2-3 hrs before cooking the next day at 550-600 on a hot stone for about 4-6 (pending your oven).

While this is not very elaborate in prep it will make a good pie.

For hand kneading it is basically the same. I will use an autolyse period of 20 -30 min (only the flour and water). This seems to really help the hand kneading process, I dont use this anymore as i use a machine and dont care for the texture imparted on the final crust. But the choice is yours.

After autolyse add the honey and the IDY and start the knead. Slowly knead in the salt. For this hand procedure I would use very cold water. Just knead until you have a good smooth dough. Seperate and chill asap.

If I left something out let me know.

Let us know how it goes. Dont throw out those other doughs, I need to know what they do.

(in my house)

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 03:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the help.  As always, the people on this forum are very generous with their knowledge and time.  I'm keeping the dough made on Wednesday in the fridge and will see what it looks like tomorrow.  I just finished mixing up another batch.  I followed the Glutenboy formula and preparation method but upped the yeast and am going to give it a longer bulk room temp. rise before sticking it in the fridge (I only let Wednesday's batch rise for about 45 minutes at room temp).  I'll let you all know how things go. 

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »
Any updates? I knead (need) to know what happened with the doughs.

(in my house)

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
Of the first batch of dough that I made, two of the four dough balls had signs of significant overfermentation by the fourth day (the day on which I had people over).  The other two looked only slightly overfermented.  I wound up using only one of these as the second batch of dough that I made (a modified Glutenboy formula/procedure in which I upped the yeast from 0.2% to approx. 0.3%, lowered the salt from 2.5% to 1.75% and increased the bulk room temp. rise from 45 minutes to about two hours) was looking very good after 24 hours fermenting in the fridge.

The one dough ball that I made from the first batch was very, very good.  I let it come to room temperature for about an hour and it was very easy to stretch, had great oven spring and tasted great.  The only drawback was that it did not brown as easily as the dough from the second batch as I'm sure that it had run out of sugar. 

The second batch of dough turned out great as well.  It was similarly extensible, had good, but not great oven spring and browned nicely.  As expected, the flavor was not as good as the first batch.

As for the three dough balls from the first batch that I didn't use at the pizza party, I made garlic knots with one ball, which were great, I froze one to use for garlic knots or breadsticks in the future and I made two personal-sized pizzas )approx. 8 inches) on Monday night.  These were pretty good.  I'll post pictures tonight when I get home.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures from the pizzas made on Sunday as they went too quickly! ;D

Lessons learned:

- When it's hot and humid out, the dough will start fermenting much quicker, so plan accordingly.
- Slightly overfermented dough is very good, with few drawbacks.
- I now have a great 24 hour recipe  :)

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
Thats kinda what I expected. I have really been letting my dough over ferment lately as the flavor seems much better to my taste. While it does not brown up as well as you noted and the flavors seem much better.

I know some dont approve of the over fermed dough but but it sure does taste good.

Im glad it all worked out in the end. Oh and next time, take some stinkin pictures!  :-D

(in my house)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »
Tbombs34,

When I originally read of your dilemma, I thought that Glutenboy's dough formulation would work as is for a 24-hour cold fermented dough, even with the full two-hour bulk rise. Sometime you might use one of the dough balls after 24 hours to see if it works well enough for a 24-hour dough. That way, you won't need a second, back-up dough recipe.

Peter

pizzapan