Author Topic: My first pizza..pictures and couple of questions  (Read 9194 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My first pizza..pictures and couple of questions
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »
5thElement,

It might help if you describe in detail how you made the dough and managed it, and also how you baked the pizza (oven temperature, rack position, etc.). I still don't see anything that appears to be out of order with your recipe.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 04:50:00 AM »
Hi Peter,

The dough was made by hand, using cold water as you suggested and it was kneaded for atleast 10 minutes, lightly coated in olive oil and placed into a plastic sandwich bag and then into the fridge, where it sat for 48 hours between 0-4 degrees.

Before baking it, i removed the dough from the fridge(no longer a ball, it had flattened alot) let it sit for around an hour and a half and then shaped it, put it onto the baking tray and left it for maybe 30 minutes before topping it and putting it straight into the oven. Oven temp was the same as before and it was started on a lower shelf before being moved to the top shelf. When it looked done i took it out and discovered the base was alot floppier than usual and hadn't crisped up alot so i had to put it back in for longer.

The base had a chewy/rubbery texture and not alot of airy/bread like texture, even in the outer crust.

At this point i definately prefer my original method! im unsure what went wrong with this one though and reluctant to try it again as i cant see what could have gone wrong?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »
5thElement,

If you used between 0-4 degrees C, that is a range of 32-39 degrees F. That is a lower range than my refrigerator can deliver.

I will put the dough recipe on my "to do" list and try it sometime, using the methods you used but using a stone rather than a pan and my particular refrigerator temperatures. I will shape the skin by hand.

Peter

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »
5th,

You note that you used a 330g ball, but I see no mention of when you divided the dough from the larger ball you started with.  Did you divide the dough, and if so, was it when you removed it from the fridge for the room temp warm up?  Reworking the dough, even 1 hour 30 minutes before use, could cause it to lack extensibility - (hence your need to resort to the rolling pin).  If you divided & reshaped it after the warm up, that could even make the problem more pronounced.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »
5thElement,

BurntEdges makes a valid point about the division and handling of the dough balls. There should be no need to use a rolling pin.

Another possibility to consider is that with the small amount of dough you used for a single dough ball, about 11.8 ounces, together with the use of the cold water and, in your case, a very cold refrigerator, you might have needed a longer fermentation time or a much longer warm-up time before using the dough to make a skin. This is similar to a situation I experienced not long ago with Glutenboy's dough formulation and preparation, as discussed at Reply 78 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.msg72399.html#msg72399. I will know better about the dough formulation and preparation methods you use when I try the formulation myself, as earlier noted.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »
The dough was divided after it was in the fridge for 48 hours (against the advice given here i know, but i read it too late)

Maybe a longer fermentation would have improved it if those fridge temp's are considered very low.

I'd love to hear how you get on with the dough if you give it a try...

Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »
5thElement,

Because of my puzzlement, I have been attempting a virtual autopsy on your last dough and pizza. One of the things I noticed for the first time, in Reply 21, is that you kneaded the dough by hand. I thought you were using a stand mixer. That is why I had suggested the use of cold water--to offset the heat that a stand mixer adds to the dough through the friction of kneading. With a dough ball weight of 330 grams, I can see how it could have ended up on the cool side. I might add that sometimes the finished dough temperature can be high even with hand kneading. For example, right now where I live in Texas, the outdoor temperature has been around 100 degrees F (almost 38 degrees C). Even if I use cold water right out of the refrigerator, the temperature of the dough after several minutes of hand kneading can reach room temperature (in my case, around 82 degrees F, or almost 28 degrees C). When I checked the London temperature (outdoor) today, the range was around 57-69 degrees F (14-20.6 degrees C). If that temperature is close to the temperature where you live, that would suggest a fairly cool dough, perhaps close to room temperature.

Your use of a pan and an oven temperature of 425 degrees F perhaps don't help the situation. The situation might be helped if you had a much higher oven temperature but from what you say it may not be high enough. With a pan, the pan has to first get to the oven temperature before the pizza can start to bake in a meaningful way. If the bake time is too long at a low temperature, the finished product can be mediocre. Your considerably larger amount of yeast in the original recipe you used may have been a major factor in the greater rise in the dough and finished crust. Ultmately, you will perhaps want to invest in tiles or a pizza stone.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
5thElement,

I decided to try the dough recipe I revised for you earlier in this thread. However, in my case, I adjusted the ingredient quantities to make a 14" pizza while keeping the crust thickness the same as what you last used. I also used hand kneading, as will be discussed more fully below. To bake the pizza, I decided to use a pizza screen, for two reasons. First, it was around 90 degrees F (about 32 degrees C) yesterday when I decided to bake the pizza and I did not want to heat my pizza stone for an hour and also unnecessarily heat up my kitchen, and, second, I felt that the use of the screen was closer to your use of a perforated pan.

I used the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html to come up with the following dough formulation for my purposes:

Bread Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
IDY (0.30121%):
Salt (1.67442%):
Olive Oil-Light (5.39999%):
Sugar (1.19501%):
Total (168.57063%):
271.79 g  |  9.59 oz | 0.6 lbs
163.07 g  |  5.75 oz | 0.36 lbs
0.82 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.27 tsp | 0.09 tbsp
4.55 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.82 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
14.68 g | 0.52 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.26 tsp | 1.09 tbsp
3.25 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.81 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
458.15 g | 16.16 oz | 1.01 lbs | TF = 0.1049804
Note: Dough for a 14" pizza; nominal thickness factor = 0.102922; bowl residue compensation = 2%

To prepare the dough, I started by combining the IDY and flour. The flour was a very well known U.S. brand of bread flour (King Arthur), with a protein content of 12.7%. I then added the water to a large mixing bowl, along with the salt and sugar, which I stirred to dissolve. The water had been taken directly out of the refrigerator and was at a temperature of around 50.6 degrees F (about 10.3 degrees C). It was actually a bit cooler when I first took it out of the refrigerator but it warmed up quite quickly when brought out to room temperature. I then added the oil to the mixing bowl. Next, I gradually added the flour/IDY mixture to the mixing bowl and used a wire whisk to stir the overall mixture and hydrate the flour. Any hand whisk can be used for this purpose but the one I used is shown at the top of the photo in Reply 65 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg63786.html#msg63786.

Once the hand whisk bogged down, I switched to a sturdy wooden spoon as I continued to add and mix in the flour/IDY mixture. When the spoon started to bog down, I emptied the contents of the mixing bowl onto a work surface where I continued to work in the remaining flour/IDY mixture by hand. To facilitate this step, I used a bench knife to work the flour into the dough mass. The bench knife I use is like the one shown at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bakers-bench-knife but any bench knife can be used, even the plastic ones (as shown, for example, at http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=194). Once all of the dry ingredients were taken up into the dough ball, I hand kneaded the dough for about 5-6 minutes. The finished dough, which I shaped into a round ball, was smooth and silky and slightly tacky. It was almost perfect.

I then oiled the dough ball and placed it into a plastic storage bag. I elected to use a plastic storage bag without a zip-type closure so that it would be a bit easier to remove the dough ball when time came to use the dough. I simply gathered the top of the storage bag and used a metal tie to close the bag. The bag with the dough in it was placed on a flat dish. The first photo below shows this arrangement. The dough went into the refrigerator for 48 hours.

After the 48 hours of cold fermentation, the dough ball was removed from the storage bag and allowed to warm up at room temperature (around 82 degrees F, or about 28 degrees C). The dough ball at this stage is as shown in the second photo below. Because of my warm kitchen, it took only about one hour for the dough ball to warm up sufficiently to use it to make a pizza skin. The dough was quite extensible but I had no difficulty in opening the dough ball out to 14" to fit my 14" pizza screen. The pizza was then dressed and baked. For this pizza, I decided to use chicken livers, caramelized onions, mushrooms and garlic. For the lip-smacking details on this pizza, see the exemplary photo below as well as Replies 3 and 5 starting at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8658.msg75948.html#msg75948

The pizza was baked in my electric oven that I had preheated for about 15 minutes to about 525 degrees F (around 274 degrees C). The pizza on the screen was initially placed on the lowest oven rack position and baked for about 8 minutes. This was a couple of minutes longer than usual for me but the unbaked pizza had a lot of toppings and weighed about 37 ounces. Once the rim of the crust started to turn light brown, I moved the pizza off of the screen (which I then removed from the oven) to the uppermost oven rack position where the pizza got additional top baking for about a minute or so. This was in line with the instructions I gave to you with respect to baking your pizza on your perforated pan.

The crust of the finished pizza was quite good and flavorful. It was soft and chewy with a tender crumb. I might have preferred a more crispy bottom crust but I would have had to either bake the pizza longer at a somewhat lower temperature, at the risk of overbaking the cheese and toppings (I didn't want the chicken livers to turn into rocks), or I would have had to use a pizza stone that had been preheated for about an hour at around 525 degrees F (around 274 degrees C). Another option--one that I have used many times before--would have been to use a combination of pizza screen and preheated pizza stone (the pizza is baked on the screen at an upper rack position and later transferred to the preheated pizza stone at a lower oven rack position for bottom crust browning). I might have used this option had it not been so hot in my kitchen.

What I did proves out the dough formulation but that must be considered in relation to my particular situation with my particular oven arrangement. Hopefully, what I did will be instructive in allowing you to modify your particular operating environment to improve your results or suggest alternatives to the same end.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 12:26:55 PM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for trying it out! it's really appreciated. The pizza looks great, definately alot more colour in the crust than my previous efforts! i dont suppose you have a side on shot so i can see how that compares?

I guess i'll try it again and adopt some of your methods, i guess im just worried it'll turn out exactly the same again, so im not sure if i need to leave it in the fridge longer, or if i just needed to let the dough ball warm up for longer once it was removed? i wonder what temperature your fridge is? i've been monitoring mine and it seems to be steady at 4 degrees celsius.

I've since purchased a pizza stone so i'll be trying that next time and hopefully i'll have more success.

In the same shop i bought the pizza stone i also picked up 2kg of "Agnesi, Farina, di grano tenero tipo 00" flour and i'll be picking up a small bag of polenta/cornmeal to avoid using so much flour on the bottom in future.

I guess i should master the original recipe to begin with before messing with the new flour, but when it comes to trying it, is it just a case of using the tipo 00 flour the same as the other?

Before coming to this site, i never imagined how involved pizza making can be lol great fun though!

I've attached a picture of the pizza stone i bought (picture taken from amazon)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
5thElement,

There is a side shot of a slice of the pizza I made at Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8658.msg75948.html#msg75948. Although Tom Lehmann says that oil in the dough results in increased volume and crust height, my experience with doughs with oil in excess of about 5% is that the finished crusts are not especially high at the rims. The photo at Reply 3 referenced above seems to confirm this.

My refrigerator is currently running at about 39 degrees F (about 3.9 degrees C) toward the back where I normally store my dough balls. It is cooler where you are in the UK than where I am in Texas, but I think you should find the dough quite extensible after a relatively short warm-up time on the bench.

Now that you have a pizza stone, you may have to revisit the dough formulation to see if it suitable for use with the new stone. That is because the dough formulation includes sugar. Fortunately, there is not much of it (about 1.2%) so you may be able to bake the pizza on your stone without overly browning or burning the bottom crust (usually you have to get above about 2% for the sugar to be a problem in a typical home oven). You may need to try the dough with your new stone to see if the sugar is a problem. If you decide to delete the sugar, your finished crust may end up being a slightly thinner version of the "neglected" American style pizza described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7945.0.html.

The 00 flour behaves differently than the flours with higher protein levels that you have available to you in the UK, so I don't think you should use it for the dough formulation we have been discussing. For one thing, you are unlikely to get much crust color in your home oven.

Now that you have a pizza stone, there will be other possibilities that will open up to you, so you may want to investigate other dough formulations that benefit from having a pizza stone.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 02:20:42 PM »
Thanks for the link to the side on shot.

I wonder if there's a basic dough recipe i can try for use with the stone? the amount of recipes on here is overwhelming and it's difficult to choose one particular recipe!

I'm looking at the Tom Lehmans NY style on the homepage recipe link but im unsure about the quantities, we dont really use "cups" in the UK and the 3 1/2 cups on the recipe says 16 ounces, but when i convert it using various other webpage convertors, it never gives me 16 ounces? im not sure whether the recipe is for one pizza or two either?

I guess i should stick to my original for now and try to perfect that?

Is there anyway i could try my recipe for a 24 hr ferment? just wondering if i could start one tonight and use it tomorrow, rather than going back to my original yeast heavy recipe that rose in around 1 hour.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
5thElement,

You can go with either a Lehmann NY style pizza dough or modify your existing dough for one-day use. If you want to stick with your present recipe, I think I would increase the yeast a bit, to around 0.50%, which I think should work where you are in the UK with cool weather.

If you want to try a basic Lehmann NY style dough recipe with your new pizza stone, you might consider the one described at the following thread, starting at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg19563.html#msg19563. If you plan to use hand kneading, there are recommended techniques--the same ones I usually use--set forth at Reply 65 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg63786.html#msg63786. You may want to use cool water since the dough temperature will usually rise toward the room temperature as you hand knead the dough to the desired condition. If you have the Hovis strong white flour, that should be a pretty good choice. If your Hovis flour is not the strong white flour but one with a lower protein level, you can reduce the hydration to around 60%. In such a case, you can recalculate the ingredients quantities using the forum's expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html. The same tool can be used for any number of dough balls for any size pizzas. If you need any help with the tool, let me know.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 05:20:57 PM »
I used a thickness factor of 0.11? and kept the original figures you allready gave me and i've ended up with this

Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
IDY (0.50%):
Salt (1.67%):
Olive Oil (5.39%):
Sugar (1.19%):
Total (168.75%):
245.29 g  |  8.65 oz | 0.54 lbs
147.17 g  |  5.19 oz | 0.32 lbs
1.23 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.41 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
4.1 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
13.22 g | 0.47 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.94 tsp | 0.98 tbsp
2.92 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
413.93 g | 14.6 oz | 0.91 lbs | TF = 0.11

For one 13" pizza

Does that look okay for a 24hr ferment in the fridge? when it comes to using the calculator, im just not sure how much oil/sugar etc to use, hence using the same figures as before.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 05:34:25 PM »
5thElement,

Based on your thickness factor of 0.11 and the baker's percents you used, the calculations are correct. I usually add a bowl residue compensation of around 2.5% when using hand kneading to compensate for minor dough losses during the preparation of the dough--such as small amounts of the dough sticking to the mixer bowl, implements, your hands, the work surface, etc. On that basis, the table becomes:

Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
IDY (0.50%):
Salt (1.67%):
Olive Oil (5.39%):
Sugar (1.19%):
Total (168.75%):
251.42 g  |  8.87 oz | 0.55 lbs
150.85 g  |  5.32 oz | 0.33 lbs
1.26 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.42 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
4.2 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.75 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
13.55 g | 0.48 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.01 tsp | 1 tbsp
2.99 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.75 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
424.27 g | 14.97 oz | 0.94 lbs | TF = 0.11275
Note: Nominal thickness factor = 0.11; bowl residue compensation = 1.5%

You can always scale the dough ball weight back to 14.6 ounces (your number) if you have a bit too much dough as a result of using the bowl residue compensation. Your dough skin should be a bit thicker than what I used to make my pizza but that should be fine.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 06:13:21 PM »
Hi Peter,

I forgot about the bowl residue compensation, thanks for that.

I've went with your figures, weighed it all on my new digital scales which should be more accurate than my others! i also adopted your method of adding the flour to the water and using a whisk to begin with. The dough ball is now in the fridge and i'll report back tomorrow night with the results.

With the stone, is it best on the lower shelf of the oven? (gas oven) and just crank the oven up to the highest temp and let it heat up for an hour?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 06:35:45 PM »
With the stone, is it best on the lower shelf of the oven? (gas oven) and just crank the oven up to the highest temp and let it heat up for an hour?

5thElement,

I have an electric oven and that is what I do. However, some members find the middle oven rack position to be a better position for their particular ovens.

Your next pizza should be a good test of your oven using your stone instead of a pan.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »
Well it's been cooked and eaten now...and it seemed to be a pretty good success!

To start with, the dough seemed easy to work with, for once i was easily able to stretch it by hand, i first pressed it out to around 7-8 inches on the work top then stretched it between my fists, it still contracted a little when placed on the makeshift peel (piece of cardboard lol) but wasn't too bad at all.

The base was alot crispier, the outer rim had alot more colour and the crust tasted pretty good, if anything it was too crispy on the rim/base but im not complaining, it's a step forward i reckon!

The stone was put on the lowest shelf in the oven and heated for atleast 1 hour, in that time the oven got up to around 485/490 degrees according to the oven thermometer i stuck in there.

It seemed to cook a bit quicker on the top and i had to leave it in slightly longer than i'd have liked to to achieve the browning seen in the photos below, but myabe i could have just taken it out slightly earlier and possibly would have avoided the "too crispy" rim i mentioned above.

Anyways, here's some photos
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:52:38 PM by 5thElement »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
5thElement,

Congratulations. I would say that you did very well. The latest pizza is a big improvement over your earlier pizzas using the pan.

You didn't indicate the size of your stone but if you can make a larger pizza than 12", that might be a logical next step. Also, since you know how to use the dough calculating tool, you can modify the dough formulation to your heart's content. Or you can simply try a different dough recipe.

Peter

Offline 5thElement

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2009, 03:51:38 AM »
Thanks Peter. The stone is around 13.5 inches if i remember correctly, so 13 inch is probably my limit.

As for altering the dough formulation, im unsure what to alter and how it would affect the dough, for example if i removed the sugar, what would that achieve? if i upped the oil or reduced the water, what would that do? and so on..

I guess im now looking to try and get the crust crisp but still slightly soft and airy/bread like inside, instead of being too crunchy/dry, i think that was the main issue with last nights pie. I read a thread on here suggesting milk might help, but im not sure? maybe just taking it out the oven slightly earlier would have solved it lol

I picked up a bag of polenta/ground maize this morning to use as a releasing agent on the peel as i find i end up with too much flour on the base. My other "issue" with the peel is when shaking it off onto the stone, it slightly changes the shape of the pizza and it contracts a little? not a big problem though really.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:44:10 AM by 5thElement »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 09:38:29 AM »
5thElement,

You are correct that there is a practical limit as to what you can do to your existing dough formulation without materially changing its character. But that doesn't mean that you are completely stuck with the dough formulation. For example, if you want a more bread-like crumb, you can autolyse your flour and water for about 15-20 minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients. Along with the autolyse, you can increase the hydration to around 62% to get a somewhat more open and airy crust and crumb. If you want a thinner, NY-style crust, you can reduce the amount of oil and use a thickness factor of about 0.09. If you want a thicker crust, say, like a Papa John's crust, you can increase the thickness factor to around 0.14 or even a bit more. If you omit the sugar altogether, I don't think that you will see a major change in the results given that the sugar is only at a bit over 1%. If you would like to get more crust flavor, you can reduce the amount of yeast and use a day or two more of cold fermentation. An ancillary benefit of making the above kinds of changes is that you will learn something new and it will be in the context of the same dough, not an isolated event with a different dough.

Oven issues are always difficult because there are so many differerent oven designs and configurations. Also, I sense from my reading that the ovens you have in the UK are different than the ones we have in the U.S. It takes experience to "marry" a dough formulation to an oven to get the optimal results.

Since you are new to using a peel and a stone, it will just take practice to improve your "peeling" skills. It is also quite common for a dressed pizza to shrink in size on a peel when you shake the peel while loading the pizza into the oven. One way to compensate for this is is to just make the pizza skin a little bit bigger on the peel before dressing it. Of course, this assumes that your peel is big enough to do this.

Peter

pizzapan