Author Topic: Seriously, just try it.  (Read 1786 times)

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
Seriously, just try it.
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:22:53 AM »
I know that corn meal and corn flour are a bit of a canard when it comes to Chicago style deep dish pizza.  Putting that aside, you should seriously consider trying something.  The other night I was making a deep dish with 20% semolina according to the BTB recipe.  I was having dinner guests over.  I went to weigh out the semolina and found that I only had half of what I needed.  I didn't have time to run to the store for more, so I substituted corn meal for the other 10%.  I took the corn meal and ground it in the coffee grinder to make it a little finer.  I also added a few drops of yellow food coloring to the dough, as is my custom.

The results were really, really, REALLY good.  The dinner guests raved about it.  My wife loved it and she eats my pizza all the time. 

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Seriously, just try it.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
last summer i was trying some garcias pizza in a pan recipes.   there is one that had a bit of cornmeal.  it added a sweetness that reminded me of the flavor of their crust.  and i enjoyed it!  i may give this a try.  i have seen the yellow food coloring mentioned and in a video.  i think it might have been one you did?  is it just for color?  thank you!!

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
I put yellow food coloring in the dough because back when I started making deep dish I was trying to figure out how to make Gino's East.  After much trial and error, I figured out that the crust was yellow because they were putting yellow food coloring in it.  The taste doesn't change but it looks different so I have stuck with it in my other pizzas.

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
I've got one of these babies rising on the counter now.  Needless to say, it is eagerly anticipated.