Author Topic: 120 years of pizza margherita  (Read 1990 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
120 years of pizza margherita
« on: June 11, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heLWhBXFtqY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heLWhBXFtqY</a>
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: 120 years of pizza margherita
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:53:14 PM »
Anyone have any idea who the black masked pizza guys that show up towards the end?  They are dressed like the Zig-Zag lookin' joker on my San Felice pizza flour bag.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 06:46:23 AM »
Anyone have any idea who the black masked pizza guys that show up towards the end?  They are dressed like the Zig-Zag lookin' joker on my San Felice pizza flour bag.

They're dressed up like the guy in the VPN logo.
http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »
I have no idea how this ties in with pizza, but I did see drawings or paintings of pizza carrying pulcinella characters on signs etc. all over naples. 

Pulcinella
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Commedia character. For Stravinsky's 1920 ballet, see Pulcinella (ballet).

A modern Pulcinella.

French Pulcinella (c. 1650).
Pulcinella, often called Punch or Punchinello in English, Polichinelle in French, is a classical character that originated in the Commedia dell'arte of the 17th century and became a stock character in Neapolitan puppetry.
His main characteristic, from which he acquired his name, is his extremely long nose, which resembles a beak. In Latin, this was a pullus gallinaceus, which led to the word "Pulliciniello" and "Pulcinella," related to the Italian pulcino or chick.
According to another version, "Pulcinella" derived from the name of Puccio d'Aniello, a peasant of Acerra, who was portrayed in a famous picture attribued to Annibale Carracci, and indeed characterized by a long nose. It has also been suggested that the figure is a caricature of a sufferer of acromegaly.[1]
Ever white dressed and black masked (hence conciliating the opposites of life and death), he stands out thanks to his peculiar voice, the sharp and vibrant of qualities of which contribute intense tempo of the show. According to Pierre Louis Duchartre, his traditional temperament is to be mean, vicious, and crafty: his main mode of defense is to pretend to be too stupid to know what's going on, and his secondary mode is to physically beat people.
[edit]The Legacy of Pulcinella

Many regional variants of Pulcinella were developed as the character diffused across Europe. In Germany, Pulcinella came to be known as Kasper. In the Netherlands he is known as Jan Klaassen. In Denmark he is Mester Jakel. in Russia he is known as Petrushka[citation needed] (however, Igor Stravinsky composed two different ballets Pulcinella and Petrushka); in Romania, he is Vasilache; in Hungary he is Vitéz László, and in France Polichinelle, while in England, he inspired the character of Mister Punch of Punch and Judy.
Pulcinella is also the mascot of the Pulcinella Awards, annual awards for excellence in animation, presented at the Cartoons on the Bay Festival in Positano, Italy.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:55:48 AM by scott r »

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »
Yeah... the guy shows up all over the place.  There must be a history of the costume.  The billowy white clothing and the white, stocking or cloth cap. Possibly like modern day bakers - signifying purity.  But, the black mask with the elongated nose.  At first, I thought it might be some sort of heat protection from working the black ovens and then became more of a ceremonial piece as better ventilation techniques developed.  I really have no clue.  I'll betcha Marco may know.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »
Whoa!  I was way off!  Thanks, Scott.

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 09:46:37 AM »
The San Felice Punchinello looks like he's smoking a joint. Presumably he'll eat the pizza once he gets the munchies. If that image isn't already an icon of stoner culture, it should be.
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »
Yeah...  Kinda of an odd picture.  I just switched as my Caputo supply got too expensive.  I just received two 25KG. bags.  Munchies?  I'll let you know how it turns out. (Maybe a Nacho cheese Doritos pie?)

Right now, I'm in Arizona, heading for La Piazza in Glendale, AZ.  I hope to take pix and report back.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:23:17 PM by PizzaPolice »

Offline shango

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »
Pulcinella is, " the optimistic fool"  and is considered to represent the spirit of the people of Naples.
pizza, pizza, pizza

pizzapan