Author Topic: Yet another home oven modification  (Read 11071 times)

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
Re: Yet another home oven modification
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
more of denrayr's photos:

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
more of denrayr's photos

Offline gijoe985

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »
Hey johnamus-

You seem well versed in the oven probes...

I've got an older oven that I just got for free for my new house. The oven I had in the previous place seemed to work just like the one you modified and I did the same modification with ease. This new oven has a probe where the "wire" coming off of it is just a steel wire. Much like bailing wire, but thicker. I'm kinda unsure on how I could do a similar oven mod with this setup, but I figure it has to be possible. Same concept, just trick the oven into thinking it is cooler.

Any suggestions?

Offline gijoe985

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
To expand on my previous post. It looks like I have a "capillary" style thermostat probe which has gasses that expand inside of a hollow tube. Obviously adding a resistor won't work in this situation. One option would be to add a switch that would just activate the burners at full blast and the manually control the temps. Should work well if I am only cooking a few pies. I can preheat the oven as high it goes and then kick on the burners the last extra bit until I get my desired temp.

Either way, it looks like it is back to the drawing board for the turbo option on this old oven...

Offline balto777

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »
Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread!!!  I just got done making a "turbo switch" on my Whirlpool Self-Cleaning Oven, and I have hit the "magic" temperature of 650.  Will be making a NY style dough starting this Sunday and will be baking the pies on Monday.  Will let you all know how it turns out.

Offline scott123

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 02:44:39 AM »
Aaron, congratulations on the switch. I look forward to your results.

Offline sub

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
Hi guys,

Look Here

My friend B0urr1quet has bend the hook of his oven and baked with the pyrolys mode, 45min of preheating,  refractory stone at 421  baking time 65sec  :P

the stone is very close to the heating element to make a "Napolitan style"

Offline whygee

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »
I was wondering if somebody could point me to my similar instructions for an electric oven with knob control. Thanks.

Offline dimarem

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
Hi -
    I haven't used an oven with conventional knob (analog) controls for about 8 years.
But when I had one I seem to remember taking the back off of the oven and revealing a
set-screw on the back of the oven thermostat (temperature control).  Turning the set-screw
basically allowed me to trigger the thermostat at a different (higher) temperature. Turning it in
one direction will cause the control to shut the elements off sooner (which is what you don't want).
The other way causes the control to shut the coils off later - which worked well for me back then.

Good luck !

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 11:14:42 PM »
Hi -
    I haven't used an oven with conventional knob (analog) controls for about 8 years.
But when I had one I seem to remember taking the back off of the oven and revealing a
set-screw on the back of the oven thermostat (temperature control).  Turning the set-screw
basically allowed me to trigger the thermostat at a different (higher) temperature. Turning it in
one direction will cause the control to shut the elements off sooner (which is what you don't want).
The other way causes the control to shut the coils off later

I concur. One thing you might want to try before pulling out the oven is looking at the knob itself.  On some knob-regulated ovens, the set screw is in the dial behind the knob.  If you provide your oven make and model, we might be able to help more.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline whygee

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »
Thanks, it's a Westinghouse (Electrolux) CWEF311ES1 (see http://lookup.theignitorstore.com/diagram/1/0/00018648/680/900). I'll open it up and let you know how it goes.

I don't want to digress, but my oven has been acting weird for about a month: I heat it up to max temp (around 575 F) and it takes about 45 mins before it reaches that. However, after maybe 5 mins at max temps, the oven shuts down (the clock and cooktop are still working but the oven is not heating). After  about 15 mins, it powers back up but the temperature has dropped around 350 F. This sucks because I only have time to bake one pizza. I thought something might be wrong with the thermometer but it seems to work fine on other occasions. I'm waiting on a multimeter I've ordered to check it out.

Offline benji99

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
So I just attempted this mod on my self clean oven and keep getting an error f30 when using the resistor side of the switch. The oven is a self clean model and works good otherwise, just not with a 10k ohm 1/2 watt resistor in place.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need a 1/4 watt? Lower resistance? What should my ohm readings be with the resistor in place at room temp?