Author Topic: Mario Batali white wine pizza dough  (Read 9653 times)

Offline DoouBall

Mario Batali white wine pizza dough
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »
Mario Batali has a recipe for making pizza dough using white wine, presumably to mimic the acidic contribution of a starter without going through all the trouble.  His recipe makes for a very quick room temperature rise and I'm curious if anybody has tried it yet and if so how does it taste?  Also do you guys think that it would work for a two day cold rise or will the wine kill the yeasts or destroy the gluten structure?

here is a link to the recipe along with several topping ideas:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9123764/

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
Re: Mario Batali white wine pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:45:57 AM »
Interesting recipe.  I will give it a try.

Would it be possible to do a break down into bakers percentages?

Offline brianb10

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:46:17 PM »
After just browsing this forum I realize I know next to nothing about making pizza  :) and I can't comment on making any changes but Batali's recipe is very tasty and is my usual recipe for pizza dough.  I am not sure if its the honey or the wine or both but it is very flavorful but not in an overpowering way such as if you added herbs or pizza flavoring to the dough.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »
It's funny that I just now found this thread because I recently tried the Batali recipe.  I'll post my results pretty soon.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »
Mario Batali’s Pizza Dough

A few weeks ago I decided to try an experiment.  I had some leftover white wine sitting in our refrigerator and I remembered seeing a dough recipe by Mario Batali that called for using wine in the dough, so I thought I would give it a shot.  The recipe I had was from the book “Everybody Loves Pizza”, but it can also be found with some variations at assorted websites, like these:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7018206&page=1
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/mario-batali-pizza-dough
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/16/travel/escapes/17pizza.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html

Here is the recipe from the book that I used for the dough:
Ingredients
 3 cups all-purpose flour
 1 packet active dry yeast
 1 tablespoon salt
 1 tablespoon honey
 3/4 cup warm water
 ¼ cup dry white wine, at room temperature
 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil

I did not try to convert the ingredients to percentages or weights, partly because I wanted to see what would happen with his recipe if you went by the original instructions and partly because I was lazy.  I altered Batali’s recipe in that I did not bring the ingredients together as he does by hand.  Instead, I used a plain old KitchenAid mixer (hook attachment), started with the activated yeast, honey, water and wine, salt, olive oil, and gradually added the (sifted) 3 cups of A-P flour (King Arthur).  I had measured the flour using the leveling method and then sifted it.  The dough came together nicely – silky smooth but very little stickiness.  I divided the dough into 2 balls and left them in sealed plastic bags at room temperature for 2 hours; then put them in the refrigerator over night.

Approximately 28 hours later, I removed the bags from the frig and let the dough come to room temperature for about 1 hour.  I then made the pizzas and used my 2-stone device on a gas grill for cooking the pizzas.  I used my standard mozzarella, provolone, cheddar cheese combination in an 80-10-10 blend.  On one pizza, I used red onions, mushrooms, and fresh tomatoes; on the other, I used my standard Italian sausage and mushrooms.  I let the grill heat up for about 45 minutes before using it.  I don’t have an infra-red temperature gun, but the grill thermometer was reading 700+ at the time I was placing the pizzas on the 2-stone.

I didn’t think of taking pictures until I saw the finished product, but then I decided these pizzas were worth capturing, so below you will see the results.  I used semolina flour to help keep the pizzas from sticking to my wooden peel.  I used a metal peel for removal of the pizzas from the 2-stone.

The taste was good.  The cararmelized color of the crust was exceptional.  The texture was little surprising.  I was expecting a little more ‘poof’ and airy-ness to the cornicione than what came out in the finished product.   But taste counts more than texture in my book, so I will probably try this recipe again, but I would like to see how it would come out using bread or high gluten flour next time.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline CaliforniaPizzaGuy

• Jesus Christ, Family, Beach, AND PIZZA enough said
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
Mad_Ernie how long did you cook the pizza on the 2stone grill ? I am curious. I am thinking about buying the 2stone pro or inferno real soon.

Offline tanveer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
A bit off topic but I’m looking for other suppliers of Sauvignon Blanc.

Offline Gino that Bastad

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 11:44:07 PM »
This is interesting to me. Might try that recipe this weekend. Anyone else have any reports on this?

Offline tanveer42

Sauvignon Blanc
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 09:26:20 AM »
Such a useful thread I’ve been looking this topic everywhere!

Offline Guts

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »
hey CaliforniaPizzaGuy haven't seen you around for some time.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

pizzapan