Author Topic: Oven recovery question  (Read 1088 times)

Offline NY pizzastriver

Oven recovery question
« on: June 11, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »
Hey folks, how's things!

So last night I made 4 pizzas, Glutenboys' dough after 5 days, and I heard things like "This is the best pizza I've eaten in my life!" Nice to hear, and I must say, it was a hell of an outcome. So light and wonderful, man can I make a bad a$$ pizza! All that aside, oh wait...did I mention how great the pizzas were?!

Ok, so here's the q finally. At 550 the 4th pizza did indeed take longer than the 1st, noticeably. As much as I kept the convection cooking between opening the door, and even when it registered "preheated" it still wasn't as hot as initial pie. Workable, but next weekend I'm making 20 pizzas. Now it seems to me the stone is not cooling much by opening the door, but the air itself in the oven is. When going into a marathon like I have coming up do you recommend...

A. Leaving the broiler on, or on in bursts, to keep air hotter?
B. Stopping after say 4 pies to reheat oven for 10 minutes or so?
C. Just making 4 pizzas and saying "The rest of you who didn't get any, sorry for your luck", with a smile!  :)

"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Oven recovery question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »
just give yourself 5 minutes of recovery time between each pie and you should be fine.....at least in all the ovens I have been using (I do tons of pizza parties at other peoples homes).   

Good luck!

Offline smarttowers

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »
There is a thread on the board somewhere  ??? that the person uses cast iron on the shelf above the pizza to keep the heat more consistant. You may want to try something like that if you have some cast iron laying around or maybe even fire bricks or another pizza stone if you have either of them handy, I would think having the extra thermal mass would make it easier for the oven to maintain a consistent temperature.

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 06:20:36 PM »
That would be me. You can see it here.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8516.msg73660.html#msg73660

Its purpose is not to provide thermal mass (although it does do that really well). The purpose was to have an overhead heat source to brown the top.

It works like a champ. When the top is done the bottom is done perfectly as can be seen in this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8699.msg75345.html#msg75345

I normally cook 4 pies and have not done more than that in one sitting. But I will say the oven setup hold up well to 4 in a row.

I only use 1 peel also, and I dont start the next pie until the other one comes out purely for the reason of giving the stone some recovery time.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »
Thanks much guys, great stuff.  :)
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:57:59 PM »
NY,
Do you have 2 stones in your current oven set up?
I use both for the first few rounds then do alot of shuffling around, in, out, up, down, broil recover... youll be fine
oh cut the first few in like 10 slices most guests wont want to look piggy and grab 3 or 4 slabs,slows em down a bit :P
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
NY,
Do you have 2 stones in your current oven set up?
I use both for the first few rounds then do alot of shuffling around, in, out, up, down, broil recover... youll be fine
oh cut the first few in like 10 slices most guests wont want to look piggy and grab 3 or 4 slabs,slows em down a bit :P
John

:-D I like your idea there John, sort of fits well with my signature. Sorry for the delay on reply, lots of company in and out this week, and the big bash coming this weekend.  :o

On the stone question, no. I have not used 2 yet, and I'm reluctant to try it for the first time due to the magnitude of the situation. The last thing I want is to have to say "Usually the tops are not so burnt but I tried something different today", lol.

pizzapan