Author Topic: Don't know what style of crust this is, can someone help me.  (Read 871 times)

Offline ekang

Don't know what style of crust this is, can someone help me.
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:15:37 PM »
Hi,

I wanted to make a thin crust that is crispy yet soft and chewy on the inside that is not too bready.  This pizza will be cooked in a conveyor oven (max temp 500F) and the desired thickness is about 5-7mm post cooking.

Would I be able to achieve this type of crust by using an American style dough recipe like the PJ's clone but by reducing the sugar and oil amount to say 2% and 2.8% respectively?  I would assume I'd have to bump up the water to 60% because of the reduced oil amount, is this correct?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Don't know what style of crust this is, can someone help me.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:29:08 AM »
100% flour
58-62% water
1.5% salt
1.75% sugar
5.5% oil

Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:11:26 AM »
Yes your assumptions are correct.  Try it out and let us know.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »
ekang,

Taking into consideration some of your recent questions and comments from the Papa John's clone thread, I will toss out some thoughts, comments and questions and you can fill in some of the blanks as you see fit.

First, with a conveyor oven, you have many possibilities in terms of pizza styles and types. However, there has to be a proper balance and functional relationship between the dough formulation you decide to use, the type of carrier you will be using (e.g., screen, disk or pan) and the specific type and model of conveyor oven you will be using and how it is configured. For example, in the U.S., conveyor ovens are being used to make most pizza styles, including the "American" style (as represented by most of the big chains like Papa John's, Domino's, Pizza Hut and Little Caesars), Detroit deep-dish style pizzas (e.g., Buddy's and Jet's), Chicago deep-dish style pizzas (including stuffed deep-dish), Chicago thin-crust pizzas (e.g., Home Run Inn), and pan pizzas (e.g., Pizza Hut). Cracker-style pizzas can also be baked in conveyor ovens, but in many, if not most, cases the crusts are par-baked crusts. It is also possible to make a NY style pizza in a conveyor oven but you have to use the right kind of conveyor oven, of the "fast bake" variety, along with using special hearth-style cloud disks such as sold by PizzaTools (http://www.pizzatools.com/Hearth_Bake_Disks/30886/subgrouping.htm?sort=sku) and without using any oil in the dough. About the only type of pizza that I can think of that is not baked in a conveyor oven is the Neapolitan style. However, I was once told by the importer of the Caputo 00 flours that he was getting a lot of inquiries about how Neapolitan style pizzas might be baked in conveyor ovens. I will hasten to add that many of the types of pizzas now baked in conveyor ovens were formerly baked in deck ovens. However, as conveyor ovens improved in performance and efficiency, former users of deck ovens gravitated to conveyor ovens because of their high throughput and ease of use by even the most inexperienced pizza makers. It did not always matter that the quality of the conveyor-baked pizzas was not as good as what was produced in the former deck ovens. As you might imagine, consumers have not always responded well to the switch from deck ovens to conveyor ovens.

With respect to your proposal for a dough using reduced levels of sugar and oil, all I can say is that when sugar and oil are used in a dough there is an increased likelihood of getting a softer overall crust and crumb. Sugar is a hygroscopic substance (it attracts water from its surroundings) and oil in the dough helps retain moisture in the dough. So, if a crispy crust is to be achieved, you may have to bake the pizza longer, maybe even at a lower oven temperature than you mentioned, in order to drive off more of the moisture in the dough. The oil in the dough will help the crust open up better during baking (because the oil leads to a softer dough), so the crust will act more as an insulator and prevent the heat from the oven passing directly through the dough into the sauce and converting moisture to steam. This will allow the pizza to bake longer and dry out a bit more. In this vein, you are correct to consider raising the hydration since there has to be enough moisture in the dough to get a crispy crust.

In terms of questions, it would help to know what brand and model of conveyor oven you will be using, what size of pizza you plan to make, what kind of carrier you will be using, and also what fermentation protocol you will be using. For example, will you be fermenting the dough in a cooler or at room temperature? If the latter, when would you plan to make the dough and what hours will you be serving the pizzas? This information will dictate what dough formulation you will need for your particular operation. It would also help to know what kind and brand of flour you plan to use since that will, together with other considerations, help establish the hydration value you will want to use.

Peter