Author Topic: Just who is Pete-zza  (Read 11261 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Just who is Pete-zza
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
Peter, may I ask if you have ever worked in any type of food related business?

Paul,

No. I have never worked in any type of food related business.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
He's the living personification of a walking pizza-lexicon/encyclopedia. That's all I need to know and I'm glad he's here.

Thanks, Mike.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »
Pete, you're a man after my own heart, I just happen to make 18" sourdough NY-style pies as might regular, go-to favorite. I like them slightly thinner than traditional NY and I don't really care for an enormous crust. Thanks for the info, I will read up at the threads you provided. 2 out of 6...not bad! :o

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 12:08:14 PM »
dmcavanagh,

..... I mentioned that not even the closest members of my family other than my son and his family even know that I am on this forum, plus a couple of friends who have no interest in pizzas other than eating them....
Peter

Since Peter is letting us have some light-hearted fun at guessing more about him, and from reading his replies here and there, and the first 15 pages of the Lehmann Dough thread i conclude  the following.  Frequent business travel, frequent non business travel. Impeccably dressed, complete with manicured hands and fingernails, he would never consider dumpster diving to get even the most sought out pizza information. To wit, he says something along the lines of -- Instead of looking in the trash in the back, people should go in the front and look there.  He's probably in good shape, almost never eating more than a couple pieces of test pizza, i believe he mentioned Adkins and South beach diets.  He is a well known "expert" in another field, and does alot of writing (probably technical) in that field. Otherwise, he would have already 'spilled the beans' about posting here to most friends.  Friends in Massachusetts = MIT graduate. As to his age, he taught a family member the Lehmann recipe, which she cooked for him. So, I put him at 56, retired, still does consulting.

Thanks Peter for all your hard work here, it is much appreciated.
P.S. How many did I get correct? :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 12:19:26 PM »
Jet_deck,

Thank you very much. You guys are too much. LOL

I counted ten statements. Only two of them are correct :-D.

Peter

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »

Can we add attorney, probably patent attorney to the list of correct statements?

Bob

Offline wizziebaldwin

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
Here are my thoughts...

Pete-zza is a kind and generous soul with a big heart; no strike that; a huge heart that has (as do most of us on this forum) a passion for Pizza that knows no bounds.

He has, at the heart of it, a personality that embodies a sense of curiosity and wonderment regarding this simple yet complex thing we call pizza. After all, pizza in its purest state, it's just dough, tomatoes and cheese ... an yet, with its infinite variations it becomes a Universe unto itself.

Pete-zza happens to be one of the more prolific explorers of this Pizza Universe and as an explorer, his life long mission is to explore strange new realms of this Pizza Universe; to seek out new techniques and new Pizzas; to boldly go where no man/women, or very few of them, has gone before.

I've read many of his posts. Always friendly, always concerned for the positive outcome ... and the sheer amount of information that he's presented would fill several books. His posts are not tiny wisps of "More bench flour." but long dissertations with the "why" things are done. He reads and comprehends the questions and asks intelligent questions to make sure that he's got a handle on what a problem might be.

This is a rarity. Most people skim the question and give an answer that is only partially relevant.

That is the mark of an outstanding, excellent teacher and mentor.

IF we're going to clone anything, I wish our world could have a few more Pete-zza's in it.

This world would be a much friendlier and beautiful place to live.

I think I speak for all of the pizza enthusiasts that frequent this forum when I say thanks Pete, for all the incredible effort, time, expertise and love that you have shown all of us.

And thanks to everyone else that contributes their time and energy to make this one crazy, zany over the top resource called Pizza Making for what we love to eat the most: PIZZA!

Ahem ... now about my fee for this outstanding character reference, you  can send ... just kidding  ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »
wizziebaldwin,

I don't really know what to say. Your kind remarks have rendered me almost speechless. I consider it a privilege to be a part of this community of good people who care about each other and are willing to help each other and to share what they know.

I was going to joke about where I should send the check but you took away my punchline ;D.

Thanks again.

Peter

Offline aks801

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »
Copious amounts of time and knowledge.

References an inner circle of his "family".

Subject matter here is Italian in nature.

Let's just say I think we should all treak Pete-zza with the proper "respect", that's all I'm saying....
alan in Katy, TX

"Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss."
 - Pete Townshend

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 02:51:21 AM »
I've always thought that pete was an engineer.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 03:03:10 AM »
i say an accountant or CPA or something of the matter
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline cranky

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »
I've always thought that pete was an engineer.

That's my guess,maybe a scientist, but probably and engineer, and works in research rather than applied engineering, good chance he is at a university given that he loves to teach and has a lot of patience encouraging beginners who show an interest in his field.  This forum is another classroom.         

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 11:50:49 PM »
^^That's pretty much what I assumed, too.  Although, I am perhaps a bit biased.   :chef: :pizza:

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:30 PM »
maybe he's just a fed-ex delivery driver?

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 12:01:27 AM »
^^not by a long shot.  you can tell he has been (well) trained in science and/or engineering. 

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 12:46:43 AM »
^^not by a long shot.  you can tell he has been (well) trained in science and/or engineering. 

you missed the sarcasm  :pizza:

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 08:11:17 AM »
I have not been on the forum much these days (eldercare-the final frontier) but I'd like to add my own appreciation of Peter as well as Peter Taylor. Their patient assistance helped get my pizza making up to speed in very short order.

I remember being truly impressed with Peters gentle handling of a woman who, as I recall wanted to put condensed milk in her dough.

Peter, if you're ever in the Albany, NY area I'd love to make or buy you some pie.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »
Peter, if you're ever in the Albany, NY area I'd love to make or buy you some pie.

Michael,

Thank you for the kind offer. And for catching and posting links to all of the pizza-related articles from the New York Times over the years :-D.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »
Peter, may I ask if you have ever worked in any type of food related business?

Paul

Paul,

No. I have never worked in any type of food related business.

Peter,

Have you, by any chance, ever cooked a pizza for Dean Martin or Sammy Davis Jr.?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:12:09 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
Ok now that I made my game show joke, that Pete's reply perfectly inspiirred, let me fill ya all in.

Pete is a saint amongst men, a prince amongst thieves, a martyr to all humankind that only wishes to spread love and joy to all the dough making children through the valleys and the hills. To cheer the downtrodden who drown in mediocrity as they sullenly call for delivery with their "free bread sticks and dip" coupons in hand. To reach the blind who go to NYC and walk into Cici's Pizza for a "NY slice", and make them see there is something more to fill their hollow souls and bellies. You can rise above the ashes like a phoenix from the flames, you can overcome your plight right in your own kitchens, you can be free!!!

Thanks for allowing me this brief serious moment.

OH, speaking of a phoenix and flames, hats off to Bill SFNM as well for his aiding of the aforementioned cause. If you hang out in the 'starters' section you'll see he is pretty dam wizard-like himself. Helluva dynamic duo they are.

Hmmm, ...

Peter, Have you and Bill ever driven around in a car that has wings?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:47:04 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

pizzapan