Author Topic: Prosciutto  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
Prosciutto
« on: June 18, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »
When putting prosciutto on a pizza, do most people bake the pie with the prosciutto on or put it on after the pie is baked?  I've done both and find that when I put it on before the bake, it usually winds up being very crispy, almost like bacon. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Prosciutto
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:50:16 PM »
Others will disagree, but the quickest way to destroy prosciutto is to cook it. I always put it on after baking.

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:57:17 PM »
I agree with Bill, the best way is after the bake. Before creates an oiliness and turns if flavorless. The whole point of a prosciutto is to enjoy it uncooked. If you want cooked you should do a pancetta instead.
Russ

Offline Tbombs34

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pies in the Sky (a Pizza Blog)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
I agree with you both.  I just saw a picture of a pizza where the prosciutto was put on before baking so I was curious to get the opinion of those on this forum. 

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:52:46 PM »
When putting prosciutto on a pizza, do most people bake the pie with the prosciutto on or put it on after the pie is baked?  I've done both and find that when I put it on before the bake, it usually winds up being very crispy, almost like bacon. 

Prosciutto Di Parma; definately after the pie is done.  Prosciutto Cotto on the other hand is excellent baked on the pie.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 06:54:29 PM by Matthew »

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
Prosciutto Di Parma; definately after the pie is done.  Prosciutto Cotto on the other hand is excellent baked on the pie.

I have to agree... I just bought some Prosciutto di Parma at Central Market last week.... it is so silky and almost buttery with a very mild flavor compared to the domestic prosciutto... it would be a crime to cook it. OTOH, the domestic is more salty and "stringy" and I like it better with the edges slightly charred, so I put it on under the cheese, before the bake.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
Not really sure I get the crispy Prosciutto trend of the past couple years-it's running rampant.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
IMHO, if it is under other ingredients like cheese, put it on at the start. If it is on top, then put it on after you take it out of the oven and then let the pie rest for 10 minutes.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 01:12:50 PM »
I'd put it under the cheese, like I do with any heat sensative ingredient, like broccoli.

Jack

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:38:40 PM »
I've thought that Prosciutto and for that matter basil or any leaf should be placed on after cooking but then wilted. :chef:
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »
The few times I've used it I've taken strips and rolled it up or balled it into little chunks and put it on before the bake.  Gave it a few crispy edges to the outside but the inside was semi cooked?  It was good.  Next time, I'll definitely try it after the cook.  Makes sense. 

pizzapan