Author Topic: Has anyone ever tasted Cesari's Pizza at Knoebel's Amusement Park?  (Read 9144 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Has anyone ever tasted Cesari's Pizza at Knoebel's Amusement Park?
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
end of pictures, even a pizza pinball machine  :-D

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »
Norma,

How was the pizza? And did you ask the workers whether they made their dough using flour milled from locally grown wheat (sprouted or otherwise), or whether they used commercial or domestic or Italian natural leavening agents and preferments, or whether they used milk kefir, or EL-7 or Stretch-Out or PZ-44 or L-Cysteine?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 11:36:45 PM »
Norma,

How was the pizza? And did you ask the workers whether they made their dough using flour milled from locally grown wheat (sprouted or otherwise), or whether they used commercial or domestic or Italian natural leavening agents and preferments, or whether they used milk kefir, or EL-7 or Stretch-Out or PZ-44 or L-Cysteine?

Peter

Peter,

In my daughters, granddaughters, great-granddaughters and my opinions, the pizza was really good.  I really donít know what makes it so good.  The cheese tastes like Grande, but I am not sure if it is.  The sauce is thin and just has a great taste also.  The crust looks like it would be bland in flavor, but it wasnít.  The Cesariís pizza is also another pizza, I still canít get out of my mind.  Cesariís pizza is 18".  Would you believe right after I ate two slices of Cesariís pizza and drank a Smoothie, I went right on the roller coasters. The one roller coaster I wasnít on before, because when I went there before it wasnít finished.  That darn thing sure was wicked.  They took pictures that people could buy when they get off the roller coaster and I bought one that had my granddaughter and me on the picture.  If you would have seen my face, it sure would make you or anyone laugh.  :-D

I ask the one girl at the counter if the pieman would open a pie for me, so I could take a video.  He said he would.  I saw they used bakerís pride ovens and made pizzas in two different places. They had big bakerís pride ovens in the back and some small ones in the front.  After we were finished eating the pizza, I asked two employees what kind of cheese they used and all they would say was mozzarella.  The one employee told me a woman makes the dough right at Cesariís everyday.  I couldnít see where they make their dough, but I believe it is in back of the partitions where the ovens are.  When I walked around the back and sides there is a place where Cesariís employees do eat and another big room there.  Their trash cans where also in that place.  No one other than employees can go into that part, so I guess I wonít find out other information.

I also wonder what the TF was for Cesariís pizza.  It seems to me to be thicker than pizzas I have made that are NY style.

Lol, what you see I posted is what I found out about Cesariís dough.  Guess I wonít find anything else out.  They sure didnít use anything like I tried before.  I really donít think all the young employees know much about the dough, sauce, or cheese.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:38:40 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
If anyone is interested in the ďTwisterĒ roller coaster, my granddaughter and I rode on at Knoebels, this is a video of a ride on that roller coaster, from another person  This is the picture of my granddaughter and me while on the roller coaster.  As you can see the ďTwisterĒ roller coaster, sure had my hair blowing back and I sure was making a ugly face.  I kept saying, ďO My Word, this thing is sure wickedĒ I wondered when I got off the ďTwisterĒ if my neck was still intact..,,lol

If anyone also wants to take a ride on the Phoenix, like my granddaughter and I did, this also is a video of a ride on the Phoenix posted by someone else.  The Phoenix had me laughing so hard, the people in front of me looked back to see why I was laughing so hard.  The Phoenix does take you out of your seat many times. If anyone wants plenty of air time off your seat, this is the roller coaster for air time.  Only a standard bar comes down, so you do lift out of your seat many times. The Phoenix does take you though a dark tunnel first.  

Two of my favorites things are pizza and roller coasters, so having both in one day was great for me.  The day at Knoebels also was my great-granddaughters first trip to an amusement park.

Knoebels also has delicious fudge.  Of course, I had to buy some before I left Knoebels.  I started the day eating healthy, but that sure went downhill fast, with the pizza, fresh cut french fries, ice cream, fudge and all the other junk food I ate yesterday.

If any member ever is in the area of Knoebels, it is a great family park, good pizza in my opinion, with decent prices for food and all the shade trees are nice.  People can even take their dogs into the park.  They even have a big pool and many other nice things to do.  People can camp at Knoebels or rent small log cabins, if they want to be there for more than one day.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:55:33 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »
picture of that "wild" Twister ride

Norma

scott123

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:20 AM »
I've been on the (at the time) world's tallest, fastest and largest vertical drop roller coaster. I can pretty much handle any kind of torque, Gs, jostling roller coasters can throw at me.  But I won't step foot on rickety old ones. Those things give me the heebie jeebies.

Norma, all power to you  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 09:41:24 AM »
I've been on the (at the time) world's tallest, fastest and largest vertical drop roller coaster. I can pretty much handle any kind of torque, Gs, jostling roller coasters can throw at me.  But I won't step foot on rickety old ones. Those things give me the heebie jeebies.

Norma, all power to you  ;D

Scott,

Great to hear you also like roller coasters!  ;D I have been on a lot of roller coasters in my lifetime.  The best one (at least for me) was at Rocky Springs Park in Lancaster, Pa.  That park is now closed, but I rode on that one many times (it was only .15) to ride that coaster. The roller coaster at Rocky Springs Park really had a steep drop and was really rickety.  I have also ridden all the roller coasters at Hershey (wooden or steel).  Whenever I traveled to an amusement park, I always look for the wooden ones.  I donít know why, but wooden roller coasters are much more fun for me.  I have also visited Dorney, Great Adventure, and Disney.  If I could and had the money, I would join the group of people that travels all over the world to ride on different roller coasters.  I went on my first ride on a roller coaster at Hershey when I was 6 years old.  Ever since that time, I canít get enough of any kind of roller coasters.  Since I am getting older though, I do worry about maybe getting something out of wack, from all the jostling around.  That doesnít stop me though, if I have a chance to try a new roller coaster.  I wonder why the wooden roller coasters give you the heebie jeebies.  I think any roller coaster is safer than being in a car.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:43:14 AM by norma427 »

scott123

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »
Here's my favorite Norma  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingda_Ka

I've been on it three times.  It's really quick (28 seconds), but man is it intense.  I noticed from the wiki that it's still the tallest rollercoaster in the world. You make it into NYC now and then, right?  This wouldn't be that far out of your way  >:D

As to the heebie jeebies... rollercoasters are one of those few instances where they actually make them better than they used to. Americans are so incredibly litigious that they have no choice but to test the living daylights out of them before they open to the public. I'm sure that older rollercoasters have technicians checking them for wear/safety, but I'm certain that it's nowhere nearly as exhaustive of a check as a new coaster. Like you said, it's way safer than driving a car, but I feel like if a rollercoaster is going to have an accident, it's most likely going to occur on an old one, and I don't want to be on it when it happens.

And, on another note, although I can handle jostling, it doesn't really thrill me. I like Gs and acceleration.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:41:51 AM by scott123 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
Here's my favorite Norma  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingda_Ka

I've been on it three times.  It's really quick (28 seconds), but man is it intense.  I noticed from the wiki that it's still the tallest rollercoaster in the world. You make it into NYC now and then, right?  This wouldn't be that far out of your way  >:D

As to the heebie jeebies... rollercoasters are one of those few instances where they actually make them better than they used to. Americans are so incredibly litigious that they have no choice but to test the living daylights out of them before they open to the public. I'm sure that older rollercoasters have technicians checking them for wear/safety, but I'm certain that it's nowhere nearly as exhaustive of a check as a new coaster. Like you said, it's way safer than driving a car, but I feel like if a rollercoaster is going to have an accident, it's most likely going to occur on an old one, and I don't want to be on it when it happens.

And, on another note, although I can handle jostling, it doesn't really thrill me. I like Gs and acceleration.

Scott,

I did ride on the Kingda Ka a few years ago.  That roller coaster is at Great Adventure at exit 7A on New Jersey Turnpike.  That coaster can be seen,  as soon as you pull into the parking lot.  The Superman coaster there is good, too!  I also thought the Kingda Ka was a great roller coaster!  ;D I like Gís, accelerations and jostling.  Anything is good with me as far as roller coasters.  I donít know how many years I will be able to handle rollers coasters though.  My bones might not take them too much longer.

Norma

scott123

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 11:35:13 AM »
Great Adventure, that's right!

If John Glenn can handle the Gs, jostling and stress of space flight at age 77, I'm sure you'll have no problems with little old roller coaster rides for many years to come!  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Great Adventure, that's right!

If John Glenn can handle the Gs, jostling and stress of space flight at age 77, I'm sure you'll have no problems with little old roller coaster rides for many years to come!  ;D

Scott,

I sure am not John Glenn, and am not fit like his he. My roller coaster days might be over at the end of this year. Do you have any idea what the TF for Cesari's pizza was, or even what typical thickness factor are for the NY pizzas you have eaten?  It still wonders me about what typical NY street slices TF are.  The street slices I had in NY, seem thicker than what I usually make.

Norma

scott123

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 07:26:46 AM »
Norma, when I think about what constitutes a typical TF for NY style, it's impossible not to look at it subjectively and break it down into what constitutes 'good' NY style and 'mediocre' NY style. I think that typical slice places have a range between .075 and .09, but the better places run on the thinner side (.075-.08).    Great pizza isn't impossible at higher thickness factors, but, imo, it gets a lot harder.

The photos you posted from Cesari's seem to reveal slight alterations in TF from pie to pie.  Either that, or it could be the angle of the picture. Some slices look like .08 while others are looking closer to .09. It could be the difference in slice pies and whole ordered pies.  Slice pies, because they sit out and are seen, tend to get a little more attention to detail when forming and get the extra effort that it takes for a thinner skin.  Whole pies ordered for eat-in or pick-up tend to get thrown together a bit more haphazardly and have thicker skins.  I'm not saying that's the case here, but this kind of 'thinner/prettier slice pie' scenario is pretty common in NY.

As far as your NY experience goes... if I recall correctly, you went to Joes but weren't all that impressed. Quality aside, Joes should still have a relatively small TF.  As far as the other places you went to... as I've mentioned elsewhere, I can't vouch for any place in Manhattan (including Joe's), so if you had slices at a Manhattan eatery, then they could have been a bit thicker and, imo, most likely a bit mediocre. I'm still looking for specific places (finding truly great slice places is like finding a needle in a haystack) but, as you venture into the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Eastern NJ), your chances of finding great slices with low thickness factors improve.

Here's one place in Eastern NJ, that, although has, imo, oregano and salt issues, is pretty close to what I consider to be a perfect thickness factor for NY Style

Pizza Town (Elmswood Park, NJ)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
Norma, when I think about what constitutes a typical TF for NY style, it's impossible not to look at it subjectively and break it down into what constitutes 'good' NY style and 'mediocre' NY style. I think that typical slice places have a range between .075 and .09, but the better places run on the thinner side (.075-.08).    Great pizza isn't impossible at higher thickness factors, but, imo, it gets a lot harder.

The photos you posted from Cesari's seem to reveal slight alterations in TF from pie to pie.  Either that, or it could be the angle of the picture. Some slices look like .08 while others are looking closer to .09. It could be the difference in slice pies and whole ordered pies.  Slice pies, because they sit out and are seen, tend to get a little more attention to detail when forming and get the extra effort that it takes for a thinner skin.  Whole pies ordered for eat-in or pick-up tend to get thrown together a bit more haphazardly and have thicker skins.  I'm not saying that's the case here, but this kind of 'thinner/prettier slice pie' scenario is pretty common in NY.

As far as your NY experience goes... if I recall correctly, you went to Joes but weren't all that impressed. Quality aside, Joes should still have a relatively small TF.  As far as the other places you went to... as I've mentioned elsewhere, I can't vouch for any place in Manhattan (including Joe's), so if you had slices at a Manhattan eatery, then they could have been a bit thicker and, imo, most likely a bit mediocre. I'm still looking for specific places (finding truly great slice places is like finding a needle in a haystack) but, as you venture into the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Eastern NJ), your chances of finding great slices with low thickness factors improve.

Here's one place in Eastern NJ, that, although has, imo, oregano and salt issues, is pretty close to what I consider to be a perfect thickness factor for NY Style

Pizza Town (Elmswood Park, NJ)

Scott,

Thanks for your explanations about real TF are for NY street slices.   :)

I have eaten street pizza in NY many times and canít remember all the names of the pizza places I shared whole pies fresh baked pies, but there seems to be many different TF from the pizzas I did try.  That is one thing that confuses me about real TF for NY street style pies.  I do remember eating at Rizzoís in Astoria, Queens and their pizza are a little on the thinner side. http://pmq.com/digital/200907/82.html and http://ciaodownny.com/2011/04/05/rizzo%E2%80%99s-fine-pizza-rizzosfinepizza-pizzaastoriany-astoriany-slicesinastoria-pizzainastoria-rizzosny-rizzospizza/

Cesariís pizza was really on the thicker side, at least appearing that way to me.  When I had a slice in my hand it was a lot thicker than NY styles I have made or tired before.  From what I remember from eating Joeís pizza at Reply 30 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12388.msg117793.html#msg117793 their pizza was more in the lines of what the forum says is typical of a NY slice.  As I posted about Joeís was I didnít know if they were having a bad day, or what happened, but the crust did taste like cardboard.  If you look at the second picture down in Reply 19 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8768.msg146470.html#msg146470 maybe you can see what I mean about how big and how thick I thought Cesariís slice was.

Thanks for referencing the link to where you think the right TF is for a NY style pizza.  When I have time to visit NY again, I am going to look more into what typical NY slices might look like, and what they might be using for thickness factors.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:02:08 AM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
Norma,

Does Cesari's hold itself out as making a NY style pizza?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
Norma,

Does Cesari's hold itself out as making a NY style pizza?

Peter

Peter,

I have been trying to figure out if Cesariís at Knoebelís does say if their pizza is NY style or not. I really think Cesariís pizza was too thick to be considered a NY style pizza, but it was good.  I did look on the web and found a few articles, like these.

http://www.amusementparkmom.com/?p=346

http://www.knoebels.com/food.asp

In this article it says that Cesariís pizza and the International Food Court were featured on a Food Network special.  I canít find the Food Nework special segment to watch.  Knoebelís food was supposed to have won many awards.   Knoebels also has restaurants throughout the park, both sit-down and counter service in nature. These eateries have contributed toward the park winning awards from organizations which judge amusement park food, including Amusement Today's Golden Ticket Award for Best Food every year since 1999. Knoebels won the 2009 Golden Ticket for best food for the 11th year in a row.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoebels_Amusement_Resort

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/americas-best-amusement-park-food-2503392#photoViewer=1

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51335&start=10

This person posts that Cesariís pizza was very similar to a NY style pizza. 

http://www.staging.eightdotthree.net/2005/10/ppp-2005/

Wish I could figure out what kind of style Cesariís pizza is.  I didnít think to ask what style of pizza Cesariís is, when I visited a few days ago.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
If anyone is interested, Adam Kuban posted a video of ďPizza PartyĒ on Slice yesterday. http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/07/video-pizza-party.html In the video it can be seen what I think are the right TF and how NY slice pizzas should  really look.  At least, slice joints in NY,  where I ate pizzas before, did look like the slices in this video.

I am posting this article and video here, because I was wondering about the TF for a real NY slice of pizza from a regular slice joint compared to what I ate at Cesarií.  The video shows how I remember the slices of pizza I had eaten in NY.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2011, 07:33:03 AM »
This video of the floods in Pa. was uploaded yesterday.  It shows the damage done at my beloved Knoebelís, Hershey Park and other places in our area.  On Knoebelís Facebook page, it really shows all the damage.  Hershey Park also lost two bison at Zoo America due to the flooding.  I donít know if Cesariís was damaged by the flood.

Norma

Offline briseman

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
This video of the floods in Pa. was uploaded yesterday.  It shows the damage done at my beloved Knoebelís, Hershey Park and other places in our area.  On Knoebelís Facebook page, it really shows all the damage.  Hershey Park also lost two bison at Zoo America due to the flooding.  I donít know if Cesariís was damaged by the flood.

Norma

I have been following the news on the flooding at Knoebels Norma.  My family and I had hoped to head up there the last weekend of October and we are still hoping to do so.  Not sure if Cesaris was damaged or not.  If we do end up going up next month we will definitely look forward to more Cesaris and all the park has to offer.  Its so nice to see the outpouring of support and well wishes for Knoebels and Hershey through Facebook.  With the number of significant floods that Knoebels has endured through the years, I am sure they will be back up and running very soon!

-brise

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »
I have been following the news on the flooding at Knoebels Norma.  My family and I had hoped to head up there the last weekend of October and we are still hoping to do so.  Not sure if Cesaris was damaged or not.  If we do end up going up next month we will definitely look forward to more Cesaris and all the park has to offer.  Its so nice to see the outpouring of support and well wishes for Knoebels and Hershey through Facebook.  With the number of significant floods that Knoebels has endured through the years, I am sure they will be back up and running very soon!

-brise

brise,

I also have been following the clean-up at Knoebelsís and Hershey Park on Facebook.  They both are doing a great job, after all the flooding they had.  I also enjoyed all the outpouring of support and well wishes both parks had on Facebook.  I had seen those markers at Knoebelís that had the places marked from before when they had floods.  They always seem to come back quickly.

Hope you and your family get to visit Knoebelsís at the end of October.  If you do, let us know how Cesariís pizza tastes.  Knoebelís is really a nice family park.

Norma