Author Topic: Has anyone ever tasted Cesari's Pizza at Knoebel's Amusement Park?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline briseman

Re: Has anyone ever tasted Cesari's Pizza at Knoebel's Amusement Park?
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
Peter,

In my daughters, granddaughters, great-granddaughters and my opinions, the pizza was really good.  I really donít know what makes it so good.  The cheese tastes like Grande, but I am not sure if it is.  The sauce is thin and just has a great taste also.  The crust looks like it would be bland in flavor, but it wasnít.  The Cesariís pizza is also another pizza, I still canít get out of my mind.  Cesariís pizza is 18".  Would you believe right after I ate two slices of Cesariís pizza and drank a Smoothie, I went right on the roller coasters. The one roller coaster I wasnít on before, because when I went there before it wasnít finished.  That darn thing sure was wicked.  They took pictures that people could buy when they get off the roller coaster and I bought one that had my granddaughter and me on the picture.  If you would have seen my face, it sure would make you or anyone laugh.  :-D

I ask the one girl at the counter if the pieman would open a pie for me, so I could take a video.  He said he would.  I saw they used bakerís pride ovens and made pizzas in two different places. They had big bakerís pride ovens in the back and some small ones in the front.  After we were finished eating the pizza, I asked two employees what kind of cheese they used and all they would say was mozzarella.  The one employee told me a woman makes the dough right at Cesariís everyday.  I couldnít see where they make their dough, but I believe it is in back of the partitions where the ovens are.  When I walked around the back and sides there is a place where Cesariís employees do eat and another big room there.  Their trash cans where also in that place.  No one other than employees can go into that part, so I guess I wonít find out other information.

I also wonder what the TF was for Cesariís pizza.  It seems to me to be thicker than pizzas I have made that are NY style.

Lol, what you see I posted is what I found out about Cesariís dough.  Guess I wonít find anything else out.  They sure didnít use anything like I tried before.  I really donít think all the young employees know much about the dough, sauce, or cheese.

Norma

Norma, I happened to be up at Knoebles this morning and walked by the side entrance to Cesaris just before the park opened and noticed a big flour bag in the trash can... they use Arezzios High Gluten, Bromated, Enriched, Malted flour... and My wife happened to ask the girl at the counter as the shop was opening if she'd sell us some of their prepared pizza sauce and the girl said, 'absolutely' and sold my wife three 12 oz cups of the stuff - for a buck a piece.  I've got it sitting in my fridge right now - I have to go find some flour that is near to this style and try to duplicate!  I am pretty sure they are stretching some low hydration doughs (I'm thinking 58% or so from how the guys stretch it), but definitely a thicker TF... I'll throw some different mozz's on it to see how that tastes on a few pies - I'm gonna give it a try and I'll let you know!

the sauce tastes heavily seasoned (Italian seasoning blend?), heavily salted, and interestingly sweet (honey? brown sugar?... can't put my finger on the sweet)...

Hoping to get up to Roots again soon!

brise

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
Norma, I happened to be up at Knoebles this morning and walked by the side entrance to Cesaris just before the park opened and noticed a big flour bag in the trash can... they use Arezzios High Gluten, Bromated, Enriched, Malted flour... and My wife happened to ask the girl at the counter as the shop was opening if she'd sell us some of their prepared pizza sauce and the girl said, 'absolutely' and sold my wife three 12 oz cups of the stuff - for a buck a piece.  I've got it sitting in my fridge right now - I have to go find some flour that is near to this style and try to duplicate!  I am pretty sure they are stretching some low hydration doughs (I'm thinking 58% or so from how the guys stretch it), but definitely a thicker TF... I'll throw some different mozz's on it to see how that tastes on a few pies - I'm gonna give it a try and I'll let you know!

the sauce tastes heavily seasoned (Italian seasoning blend?), heavily salted, and interestingly sweet (honey? brown sugar?... can't put my finger on the sweet)...

Hoping to get up to Roots again soon!

brise

brise,
I never hear of the Arezzios High-Gluten flour, but I think it is sold by Sysco.  http://www.syscocentralpa.com/ordereze/Files/Sysco_Italian_Book.pdf   I sure don't know what protein the Arezzios High-Gluten flour is, but would think a flour like All Trumps, Kyrol, Pillsbury Balancer and maybe other higher protein flours might be a good start.  What kind of flours do you have access to?  I would believe their dough is also a lower hydration dough, something like what I tried on the boardwalk thread. 

That sounds great that you got some of the prepared pizza sauce.  That is a tough call on the sauce brand.  So many different pizza sauces taste so different, but when ingredients are added they can almost taste the same.  Maybe you want to save one of the cups and freeze it to compare it if you add different ingredients how yours will taste then.  It could be Italian seasoning, maybe even different brands of oregano's, or other ingredients.  I found different oreganoís have different tastes.  The sweetness could come from many things to.  I even forget how their sauce tastes since I haven't been to Cesari's Pizza for awhile. 

Hope to see you at Root's again soon too!

Let us all know how your efforts turn out and best of luck.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline briseman

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply Norma - and fantastic idea to freeze some of the sauce to compare with future attempts to replicate.. as for flour - I'll have to look around - King Arthur Bread flour is about as high gluten as I've seen around here in Wilmington/newark DE area... but will search around.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted!

-brise

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 08:33:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply Norma - and fantastic idea to freeze some of the sauce to compare with future attempts to replicate.. as for flour - I'll have to look around - King Arthur Bread flour is about as high gluten as I've seen around here in Wilmington/newark DE area... but will search around.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted!

-brise

brise,

I don't know you you feel about using VWG, but that can raise the protein of the KABF if you can't find a higher gluten flour in your area.  I recall Cesari's Pizza as being thicker than a regular NY style pizza.  I wonder if the sauce is also from Sysco since the flour might be.  I think when I looked a little while ago that Sysco sells an already spiced pizza sauce.  I don't recall the sauce on Cesari's Pizza having any strong spice taste when the whole pizza is baked, but since you have the real sauce only you would know.  When a sauce and mozzarella are baked on a pizza sometimes it changes the flavor of the sauce.  I don't know if that is what is happening with the sauce on the Cesari's pizza though.  When you eat a Cesari's pizza do you notice a spicy sauce?  Do you have a dough formulation in mind to try and also do you have a TF in mind?

Norma

Offline briseman

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »
I was wondering the same thing about the sauce Norma, as possibly Sysco provided... As for dough formulation, I was going to do a 58% hydration dough with a higher TF with the highest gluten flour I can find... Was going to review your boardwalk dough recipe and maybe start with that as a base.  I will let you know how it comes out as I will be putting the dough together today and possibly bake one tonight.

Thanks!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 09:13:32 AM »
I was wondering the same thing about the sauce Norma, as possibly Sysco provided... As for dough formulation, I was going to do a 58% hydration dough with a higher TF with the highest gluten flour I can find... Was going to review your boardwalk dough recipe and maybe start with that as a base.  I will let you know how it comes out as I will be putting the dough together today and possibly bake one tonight.

Thanks!

Brise,

If you want to start with a cheap sauce the Classico crushed tomatoes at Walmart are a good place to start in my opinion, with added ingredients as you see fit.  What kind of pizza sauces do you have access to?  If you want to look I started a new thread about tomato pies, but I know Cesari's doesn't apply the sauce and cheese the way I do.  That isn't as long as the boardwalk thread.  I really don't know if the TF is increased though what might happen with some of those formulations I have been trying.  I really can't give you an exact formulation to try though, because I am still playing around with formulations on that newer thread.  I just changed two batches of dough formulations again this week.  I liked those results the best so far, but might go about changing them again.  I thought when I was at Cesari's that the cheese tasted like Grande, but sure don't know.

Good luck with with your attempts!  ;D

Norma