Author Topic: skin on dough  (Read 1619 times)

Offline bigpix

skin on dough
« on: February 07, 2005, 10:13:50 AM »
Hmmmm. I wrote out a long post last night asking about this but it never showed up. I won't go into details now but would like to know how to avoid my dough skinning over while in the fridge. I followed the modified Tom L NY style formula using KASL and both usable times the dough skinned over. Yesterday it got quite thick. Close to 16th. inche I'd say. Once I removed it the real dough was wonderful. I oiled the dough before putting it in a bowl which I covered with a towel and then placed the whole thing in the fridge for 24hrs. The other time I made this dough I tightly closed the top of the bowl with plastic wrap. What am I missing?
Thanks,

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: skin on dough
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 10:36:29 AM »
BIGPIX:
  Good Morning. You did what most of us do in order to prevent a surface skin not to come abound. What I do & it seems to work very well is tha following. I place saran wrap on top of the dough loosely on top. Then  I place a small towel on top. Then I cover with a towel that is secured with a rubber band around the bowl. I never had any problems with this technique. Have a nice day.
    ~Dinks.

Offline brianc

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:36:36 AM »
I've found that I only get skin when the dough is exposed to the air for a little while, either in the fridge or on the counter.  Whenever I store the dough in an air-tight tupperware container, I don't have a problem, but if I use something less tight like plastic wrap or a towel, I get the skin.

Offline bigpix

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 10:38:26 AM »
I hae always used this big wide bowl but since this dough rises very little, perhaps I should use some sort of Tupperware as well. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 11:34:57 AM »
One approach that I use, especially when I have to make several dough balls and I don't have enough refrigerator space to conveniently hold all the individual bowls or other containers, is to use zip-type storage/freezer bags. I put a little oil in the bag, drop a dough ball into the bag, and then roll and slosh the dough ball around until it is completely coated. That way I don't have to get my hands messy with oil. I then flatten the dough ball into a disk (by pressing against it from outside the bag) so that it will cool faster, which is important for a Lehmann dough. I squeeze out some of the air in the bag--but leave enough volume for expansion of the dough--and then zip the bag shut.  At that point, you don't need much refrigerator space and you minimize the mass that is to be cooled.

I sometimes use empty bread bags to do the same, except that I twist and tuck the open end of the bag under the bag once I have put the dough ball (oiled) into the bag. Again, I allow enough space for dough expansion in the bag. You end up with a neat and compact package that uses little refrigerator space and, as with the zip-type bags, most of the cooling goes to cooling the dough rather than the container.

BTW, you can also use a light spray of canola oil from a spray can to coat the dough. When I do this, I spray the dough ball after I drop it into the container and then roll the dough ball around to get complete coating with the spray. If I am using a more typical container, such as a bowl, one trick I use is to take one of those freebie hotel plastic shower caps with the rubberized band and securely cover the bowl with it. Some of them are even transparent so that you can see what is happening to your dough. And they conform to most shapes and sizes of bowls you choose to use and they are reusable.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 03:35:43 PM »
I put a thin coating of olive oil (not extra virgin) on the dough and either put it in a ziplock bag or air tight bowl or a bowl covered with plastic wrap and a towel.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan