Author Topic: First post after many pizzas  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

First post after many pizzas
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »
Hello everyone.

I found this website after making about 3 or 4 batches of dough, each of which yielded  2 or 3 pizzas each.

I've always loved thin, cracker-ish textured pizza so I searched for it and found "DKM's" recipe although not from this site.

It was my second-best outcome, but really, all of my attempts yielded ok-texture but also a lack of flavor, just too bland. I found all the internt recipies lacking in salt in particular. The batch I made right before the DKM didn't have as good a texture, but I purposely added garlic-salt and it was better tasting.

So I'm happy to report my most recent batch came out FAR better than any previous attempt. In fact, this is my first batch that I can say came out better than many restaurant pizzas.  I used DKM's basic formula for the water to flour ratio. (which when i first read thought it was a typo). I used the 3/4 cup of water but for the flour I decided to throw every ingredient i had at it. So I kept the 3 1/2 cups of flour but instead of being totally bread flour, I took 20% of it off and replaced with mix of semolina, cornmeal, vital wheat gluten, and yes, BUTTER. (also garlic salt again) The results were beyond my expectation; I really enjoyed every bite of the resulting pizza. I think it beats "cheap"-pizza-place-pizza, but is not quite up to good-pizza-place-pizza.

My theory was that the first few batches were too bland, so instead of adding one ingredient at a time for each new batch, I would just put a bunch of stuff in and try to discern what could be removed or reduced. I think the semolina and/or vital wheat helped get more of that layer-y look and feel. The cornmeal could only barely be tasted, but really I don't think it improved the flavor. I'll probably omit it next time. My next "tweak" will be a little bit higher percentage of semolina and also more butter. Today my wife invited her parents over to 'show off' my pizza. It's THAT good. :)