Author Topic: First PH Pan-Pizza. How can I get the crust to be more "airy"?  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

I followed the recipe for PH Pan pizza as in the recipies section of this forum, except that I did the whole "rising" at room temp and for only about 4 hours. (In a hurry) :)  The crust was a huge success but I'm just being picky !

OH, also, I did use about 30mL of vital wheat.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: First PH Pan-Pizza. How can I get the crust to be more "airy"?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
Miami_Pizzaman,

You might make the dough as instructed. If that doesn't help with the airiness, you might increase the amount of water in the recipe, to about 60% hydration.

There is also a version of the recipe that uses the same amount of dough that Pizza Hut used for its pan doughs, at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909. See also http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6040.msg51761.html#msg51761.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:10:58 PM »
dry milk will make your pizza more airy, more crispy, and much more flavorful.   It might cause too much browning, though, so beware.  You should  try it.   I get mine from King Arthur via mail.  Good luck
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:13:21 PM by scott r »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:40:20 PM »
In its catalogs, King Arthur says that its Baker's Special Dry Milk "promotes a great rise" in yeast breads compared with 1% milk. Tom Lehmann acknowledges the effect of milk products to produce a lighter, fluffier crust but suggests, at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=2102#2102, that increasing the water content is a cheaper way of accomplishing the same result. But, like scott r, I like to try different things, including dry milk powder, to learn how they affect the finished product.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 11:11:12 PM »
I usually agree with tom, but here is another one that just doesn't add up to my experimentation (and there has been quite a lot with dry milk!).  To me the dry milk addition is TOTALLY different than bringing up the hydration.   

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:26:18 PM »

Guys, thank you both for your responses. I'll read the links provided in a moment (I'm currently enjoying leftovers from earlier this evening and I'm wondering if this crust needs any change at all!! It's so good)

Question, what would the down-side be to increasing hydration besides 'stickier to handle'?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:59:45 PM »
you could end up with more of a gum layer of uncooked crust just under the sauce. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »
I usually agree with tom, but here is another one that just doesn't add up to my experimentation (and there has been quite a lot with dry milk!).  To me the dry milk addition is TOTALLY different than bringing up the hydration.   

scott r,

I know that Tom has a bias against milk in pizza dough, especially in the fresh form, and I know how meticulous you are on these matters, so I will defer to your experience on this one. Tom also does not like fresh eggs in pizza dough. I believe he is concerned about cross-contamination and health department issues when using fresh milk and eggs that he fears may end up shutting down a pizza operator, even if only for a short while until the problems are corrected. He often discusses using the dry forms of milk and eggs, which should be free of health/handling issues, but he believes the added costs are too high. The only chain of any size that I am aware of that uses milk and eggs in their doughs is Donatos. They used to prominently promote the milk and eggs in their doughs in their advertising but they no longer do so. I believe that they still use milk and eggs in some formsin their doughs, but the doughs, in the form of skins, are now delivered to their stores in frozen form.

Thinking back, I believe the last time I used dry milk powder was to make a clone of the original Pizza Hut pan pizza, not the current one that no one seems to like. I was working from an old PH pan pizza dough ingredients list that I tried to convert to baker's percent format in the right pecking order to make the dough. I used the same dough ball weight that PH used for its smaller pan pizza. From my notes, I see that I ended up using only about 1/3 teaspoon (0.50%) of nonfat dry milk (baker's grade), which was perhaps too little to notice its effects. I also used whey and buttermilk powder. I even hunted down some pure fructose that was called for in the ingredients list. I was not particularly satisfied with the results, so I decided not to pursue that style further until I had a better idea as to how to proceed.

Peter

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 02:51:05 PM »

I noticed mention of egg...

What does egg do to a pizza dough as far as flavor, texture, and processing?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »
I noticed mention of egg...

What does egg do to a pizza dough as far as flavor, texture, and processing?

See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8395.msg72522/topicseen.html#msg72522.

Peter

pizzapan