Author Topic: AllTrumps  (Read 10295 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: AllTrumps
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 09:38:17 PM »
This is what I got, I just noticed that the recipe was for a 16" pizza. I put in that I wanted 10 12" pizza's is this right. I divided the .62 ounces of the powder by .06172863 and got 10.20 ounces

Flour (100%):    1592.94 g  |  56.19 oz | 3.51 lbs
Water (65%):    1035.41 g  |  36.52 oz | 2.28 lbs
IDY (1.3575%):    21.62 g | 0.76 oz | 0.05 lbs | 7.18 tsp | 2.39 tbsp
Salt (1.69%):    26.92 g | 0.95 oz | 0.06 lbs | 4.82 tsp | 1.61 tbsp
Malted Milk Powder (1.13%):    18 g | 0.63 oz | 0.04 lbs | 7.71 tsp | 2.57 tbsp
Total (169.1775%):   2694.9 g | 95.06 oz | 5.94 lbs | TF = 0.08405
Single Ball:   269.49 g | 9.51 oz | 0.59 lbs

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:30 PM »
David,

What thickness factor did you enter into the tool and what bowl residue compensation did you use?

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »
.082 TF and 2.5% residue.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »
.082 TF and 2.5% residue.

David,

Thanks. The tool doesn't provide that information. I would have to guess.

Your use of the tool was correct. However, the 0.63 ounces of Ovaltine translates to 10.21 level teaspoons, or 3 level tablespoons plus one level teaspoon plus about a quarter teaspoon.

BTW, what kind of oven will you be using to bake the pizzas and at what temperature?

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »
Its a GE Spectra, I put the temp to 550 and have the pizza stone in the middle rack position. As for the 10.20 TBSP, I said that because I didn't know if I should have rounded up the .01 because it was at 10.206. I have another question that doesn't have to do with this, does a lower number in the % for hydration mean its more hydrated. I know that sounds off. But I am reading things and they are saying higher hydration and the number is 57%, I thought my previous doughs were high hydration because it was 70%? I am very confused now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »
David,

The more water the higher the hydration. Depending on the type of flour, the hydration number can vary over a fairly wide range. For example, the rated absorption value for a high-gluten flour such as the All Trumps is around 63%. However, most pizza operators using that flour to make a NY style will use a hydration in the range of 56-59%. The main reason is that it is easier to open up the dough balls to form skins at the lower hydration values. Also, it is easier to train workers to form the skins. The problem becomes most severe when you are talking about making large pizzas, typically above 14" and especially when you get to 16" and 18". A highly hydrated dough becomes harder to form into skins at the larger sizes. There are some pizza operators who use hydrations above 65%, but it is not common. In the case you referred to (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9616.0.html) where you first saw the 70% hydration value, that value is not the actual hydration value. As I noted at Reply 11 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9616.msg83451.html#msg83451, the actual hydration value should take into account both the base flour (All Trumps) and the semolina flour. Doing that, the actual hydration value is around 63.3%. The expanded dough calculating tool cannot perform that calculation. You have to use a regular desk calculator.

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »
Where can I buy ovaltine from, I went to 4 super markets abs they didn't have them.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »
Where can I buy ovaltine from, I went to 4 super markets abs they didn't have them.

Do you have an oriental supermarket nearby?  If so, that would be your best bet.

Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »

David,

I couldn't find the Ovaltine Classic Malt Mix in any store me either. I found it at a Big Lots store that specializes in close-outs and over-runs. You might use the store locator at the Ovaltine website at http://www.ovaltineusa.com/WhereToBuy.aspx. However, the mere fact that a search shows several stores doesn't mean that they actually have the product on their shelves. In my area, Kroger's was indicated as a source of the product but I did not see in on the shelves of the Kroger's near me.

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 07:33:28 PM »
They had the Rich Chocolate mix and the Chocolate Malt mix but not the Classic one. There is a really big Asian supermarket near me I will go check it out tomorrow and see if they have it there.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 10:49:47 PM »
Scottr, do you prefer the unbromated All Trumps to the KABF, or is there another high gluten malted bread flour that you like in place of the bromated All Trumps?

Deb, im sorry I missed this one when you asked.   I have been way to busy to sift through the whole forum lately.

I feel like comparing all trumps to bread flour is a bit tough because they really are quite different, especially because of their protein content.  All trumps is a high gluten flour.  I have found that as far as non bromated high gluten flours go, I do prefer the unbromated version of all trumps for NY style pizzas.   Unfortunately I still find that the bromated version of all trumps is much more forgiving when making lower temperature pizzas (600 or below), and makes it very easy to turn out exceptional pizza with every batch.  Once you get into fast baked pizzas the bromate really doesn't help that much.   King arthur bread flour, or Harvest king are my goto flours for when I am looking for a softer, less chewy crust and I don't want to use bromate.   The bonus with these two flours is that they are readily available at local grocery stores in most cities around the US.    Ultimately my end results are much more dependent on my mixing and proofing techniques, and I think any of the above mentioned flours can be made to turn out some exceptional pizzas.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:51:32 PM by scott r »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 11:18:10 PM »
5 stores later on the 6th I finally found the Ovaltine Classic Malt Mix. I am so happy, I am doing this on sunday making 15 pizzas.

Offline ThePizzaBiatch

Ovaltine - Still my go to...
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »
So, I've been making my Ovaltine crust now for almost 2 years...and have not altered anything but the time it stays in the fridge to 48 hours, and still am having great results.  Just wondering if anyone has altered the recipe by ingredients or percentages and if they have had any results to report, good or bad.  I still get people loving "that, that, taste...I just can't place it - but love it" in my NY style pizza....

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 11:20:05 PM »
Ok - my next pizza will have a soupçon of ovaltine.  I gotta try it!

What are your mix and rest times?  I'll almost certainly be using KA bread flour, is there a rule of thumb that I should use to adjust the hydration %? 

Are you using 1.13 IDY or 1.5?

Thanks!
Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
Brick Stone,
I found the Ovaltine in the closet and decided to try as above used the 2067 grams of flour But that is a CRAZY amount of yeast no?  1.35% = 28 grams! thats a pile! I have uses as little as a 1/4 tsp. for 2250 G of flour   a fraction of what you have listed why is that yeast % so High? that dough will blow up even in the fridge no?  should I try this 1.35% or is this an error, this goes against all my past experience? does the ovaltine have an effect on something? oh well its only flour. out comes the bosch :chef:

John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
John,  thats gotta be WRONG!  don't do it!  -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2011, 11:22:29 PM »
I looked back in my book and it was supposed to be .135. I misplaced the decimal. And in the recipe I copied it showed 1.35% that's probably why it showed it as well. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8796.msg84149.html#msg84149
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:25:06 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
I looked back in my book and it was supposed to be .135. I misplaced the decimal. And in the recipe I copied it showed 1.35% that's probably why it showed it as well. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8796.msg84149.html#msg84149

LOL...it happens.

John,

If you'd kept that yeast percentage, the Montgolfier brothers would have been proud of you!  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
WoW,
even Peter missed it reply #41 ? I knew it and could not talk myself into 28G but I would say close to 15G of IDY  :o  I checked some of my paperwork  right after that and realized it should be .1 - .5% max I knew this but was focusing on the oveltine. DOY I did not want to waste 2000 grams of all trumps so I pressed on. WELL... For some strange reason after mixing in the bosch for 7 minutes looked good Right tinto fridge into 2- 6 qt containers 1 went off like a baloon doubling in 1 hr? punched it down 2X the other doubled plus a bit  in about 10 hrs? cant explain but I kept the 2 seperate in my doughmate containers.  Let them warm up to room temp for about 4 hrs and cranked up the Wolf oven for 1 1/2 hrs.
oven temp set at 550 and stone reached 650 as shown below
Dough was very expanded sonft and airy Gee wonder why ???  but did not seem to blow out til about 5-6 hrs room temp.
Pizza came out fine with the special sauce I made up  w/ 6 i the dough I punched down several times did loose some n ones of its spring but the high temp prevaild and made some good NY all trumps pies
Balls below are 300- 325 G  ]you can see how they expanded. I   ran out of cheese so used fresh mozz on several as well
John
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:36:14 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
Here are the Fresh Mozz very tasty

pizzapan