Author Topic: AllTrumps  (Read 12072 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: AllTrumps
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 10:49:47 PM »
Scottr, do you prefer the unbromated All Trumps to the KABF, or is there another high gluten malted bread flour that you like in place of the bromated All Trumps?

Deb, im sorry I missed this one when you asked.   I have been way to busy to sift through the whole forum lately.

I feel like comparing all trumps to bread flour is a bit tough because they really are quite different, especially because of their protein content.  All trumps is a high gluten flour.  I have found that as far as non bromated high gluten flours go, I do prefer the unbromated version of all trumps for NY style pizzas.   Unfortunately I still find that the bromated version of all trumps is much more forgiving when making lower temperature pizzas (600 or below), and makes it very easy to turn out exceptional pizza with every batch.  Once you get into fast baked pizzas the bromate really doesn't help that much.   King arthur bread flour, or Harvest king are my goto flours for when I am looking for a softer, less chewy crust and I don't want to use bromate.   The bonus with these two flours is that they are readily available at local grocery stores in most cities around the US.    Ultimately my end results are much more dependent on my mixing and proofing techniques, and I think any of the above mentioned flours can be made to turn out some exceptional pizzas.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:51:32 PM by scott r »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 11:18:10 PM »
5 stores later on the 6th I finally found the Ovaltine Classic Malt Mix. I am so happy, I am doing this on sunday making 15 pizzas.

Offline ThePizzaBiatch

Ovaltine - Still my go to...
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »
So, I've been making my Ovaltine crust now for almost 2 years...and have not altered anything but the time it stays in the fridge to 48 hours, and still am having great results.  Just wondering if anyone has altered the recipe by ingredients or percentages and if they have had any results to report, good or bad.  I still get people loving "that, that, taste...I just can't place it - but love it" in my NY style pizza....

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 11:20:05 PM »
Ok - my next pizza will have a soupçon of ovaltine.  I gotta try it!

What are your mix and rest times?  I'll almost certainly be using KA bread flour, is there a rule of thumb that I should use to adjust the hydration %? 

Are you using 1.13 IDY or 1.5?

Thanks!
Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
Brick Stone,
I found the Ovaltine in the closet and decided to try as above used the 2067 grams of flour But that is a CRAZY amount of yeast no?  1.35% = 28 grams! thats a pile! I have uses as little as a 1/4 tsp. for 2250 G of flour   a fraction of what you have listed why is that yeast % so High? that dough will blow up even in the fridge no?  should I try this 1.35% or is this an error, this goes against all my past experience? does the ovaltine have an effect on something? oh well its only flour. out comes the bosch :chef:

John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
John,  thats gotta be WRONG!  don't do it!  -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2011, 11:22:29 PM »
I looked back in my book and it was supposed to be .135. I misplaced the decimal. And in the recipe I copied it showed 1.35% that's probably why it showed it as well. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8796.msg84149.html#msg84149
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:25:06 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
I looked back in my book and it was supposed to be .135. I misplaced the decimal. And in the recipe I copied it showed 1.35% that's probably why it showed it as well. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8796.msg84149.html#msg84149

LOL...it happens.

John,

If you'd kept that yeast percentage, the Montgolfier brothers would have been proud of you!  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
WoW,
even Peter missed it reply #41 ? I knew it and could not talk myself into 28G but I would say close to 15G of IDY  :o  I checked some of my paperwork  right after that and realized it should be .1 - .5% max I knew this but was focusing on the oveltine. DOY I did not want to waste 2000 grams of all trumps so I pressed on. WELL... For some strange reason after mixing in the bosch for 7 minutes looked good Right tinto fridge into 2- 6 qt containers 1 went off like a baloon doubling in 1 hr? punched it down 2X the other doubled plus a bit  in about 10 hrs? cant explain but I kept the 2 seperate in my doughmate containers.  Let them warm up to room temp for about 4 hrs and cranked up the Wolf oven for 1 1/2 hrs.
oven temp set at 550 and stone reached 650 as shown below
Dough was very expanded sonft and airy Gee wonder why ???  but did not seem to blow out til about 5-6 hrs room temp.
Pizza came out fine with the special sauce I made up  w/ 6 i the dough I punched down several times did loose some n ones of its spring but the high temp prevaild and made some good NY all trumps pies
Balls below are 300- 325 G  ]you can see how they expanded. I   ran out of cheese so used fresh mozz on several as well
John
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:36:14 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
Here are the Fresh Mozz very tasty

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »
I will try the ovaltine again with the right yeast% and smaller batch. I also did a deep dish that was light as a feather and a few pesto ricotta and finished the night oven a bit too cool with the Nutella and valentine marshmellos

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2011, 08:44:31 PM »
JC,  I can't believe it made it nice work!  beats not eating pie doesn't it?  -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
As can be seen at Reply 9 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8796.msg76456.html#msg76456, and also at Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8796.msg76554.html#msg76554, the 1.3575% IDY was intentional. I came to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that the recipes posted by ThePizzaBiatch were adaptations of JerryMac's NY style dough recipe that also calls for 1.3575% IDY. The recipe posted by David (BrickStoneOven) at Reply 40 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8796.msg84166.html#msg84166 is consistent with the other recipes even if he intended to reduce the amount of IDY for his own application of the recipes.

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »
Hi John, looks good...did you find non bromated AT around or did you pick up the regular stuff?

Patrick

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2011, 09:00:56 PM »
Hey Pat!
Used the regular stuff from Rest Depot I got the card there now  ;D
John

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 05:10:55 PM »
OK cool! i am still working on finding KASL in the 50# bag!

did you find anything else interesting at RD?
Patrick