Author Topic: sauce questions  (Read 1419 times)

Offline bigpix

sauce questions
« on: February 13, 2005, 07:45:25 PM »
Anyone ever use fresh real tomatoes? With the large variety of maters out there to be had I'm wondering why no one uses them.
Also, what do you all do about seeds? I bought a food mill but wind up with tomatoe juice at best.
I gave up trying to get rid of them at this point.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: sauce questions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 08:03:17 PM »
bigpix,

Until I discovered that I was paying about 2 dollars a tomato in embedded costs for each one I grew in Texas (where tomatoes are not indigenous), I used fresh tomatoes on pizzas. The problem with using them is that it's hard to get a nice, sweet, low-acid sauce out of them. And you have to use a ton of them if you are using a food mill. I found that using the small grape-type tomatoes worked better than the standard tomatoes, and especially so if I dried them in the oven to get a more sweet and intense flavor out of them. The closest I have found to fresh tomatoes are the San Marzano tomatoes. While they are often considered sweet, they are not particularly so. But they are low-acid. And they are very good on Neapolitan style pizzas, or combined on other types of pizzas with my favorite canned tomatoes, the Escalon 6-in-1s.

If you have a lot of fresh tomatoes, you can use them on pizzas in combination with the other types of tomatoes mentioned. They lend a nice, fresh flavor. Using you food mill does have the advantage of removing skins and seeds, which can sometimes have a bitter quality, but, as you have noted, you will end up with a lot of juice and not much pulp. In that case, you will have to boil off a lot of the liquid and then use herbs and spices to produce a decent sauce that you can then use on pizzas. You may also have to add some tomato paste or tomato sauce to bring up the flavor level and intensity. Or, you can spare yourself all that agony and just buy some Escalon 6-in-1s (or comparable tomatoes from Stanislaus, if you can find a source of them).

Peter

Offline bigpix

Re: sauce questions
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 08:38:15 PM »
I have a lot of sources locally for San Marzanos maters. One deli nearby carries four or five brands to choose from. I found a new type of Sans that are organic that I can get an a new A&P in town. I think those were the best so far.
The mill I have was bought by my wife and I hate to say it but it's crappy.
I like to make my sauce like this; I saute five or six minced cloves of garlic (we love garlic here) in some OO or better yet, in the fat left from frying up some Italian sausage. I add a few minced baby carrots for sweetness, a tablespoon, or more of Oregano, a pinch of Italian seasoning if I think of it, a lot of pepper, kosher salt and usually still add some sugar to sweeten it up just a bit more.
to me there is no such thing as too much oregano (this comes from eating some of the best pie ever since I was a child long ago from a real old world style pizza place that used tons of oregano)
Oh yeah, I break up the maters while the simmer for 20-30 minutes with my stick mixer or just with a wooden spoon.
I then let it cool in the fridge. It's a very good sauce that we also use later in the week on chicken parm or pasta. I hate the idea of using canned pizza sauce but have yet to taste any homemade sauce that comes close to even good pizza sauce which is probably from a can. The best of the best places are out of reach I'm afraid to figure out how to make at home.

pizzapan