Author Topic: July 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Green"  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
July 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Green"
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:49:40 AM »
The topic for this month:

Green

Infoodel

July 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Green" - Pizza 'Seuss'
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »
OK, I guess I took a fairly liberal interpretation of 'Green' but anyway. I'm calling it Pizza 'Seuss'  (green eggs and ham, or rather greens, egg and ham!)
Kale greens, country ham (crisped up in a pan), garlic, fior di latte, egg, pecorino, olive oil and basil garnish.
Tasted good straight out of the oven but even better with some hot sauce/vinegar sprinkled over (I know it sounds weird but it totally works!).
Dough was not so great. I tried a slow rising biga but the hydration was a little on the low side. Easy to work with but didn't taste as good as previous doughs I've used.

Cheers,
Toby
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:05:09 PM by Infoodel »

Offline s00da

Re: July 2009 Monthly Challenge: "Green"
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:23:48 AM »
/salute the extra-charred side of your pizza

Looks yummy but unfortunately I don't eat ham  ::)

Offline WestCountry

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 04:40:52 PM »
This is my Green inspired pie below:
(I thought it would have more green color, but the herbs cooked into the pie.)

-Bush Basil
-Sweet Basil
-Green onions
-white onions
-yellow onions
-garlic
-olive oil (all onions marinated in olive oil and garlic)
-and a little bit of ham

This was yummy,
-Chris  :pizza:

Offline shango

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »
I put basil on these Margheritas.  Pompeii oven..
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 12:40:34 AM by shango »
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »
Here is a "moon pizza" (della Luna), inspired by a recipe in Pizza - Any Way You Slice It by the Scicolone's.  The shaped dough was brushed with oil - nothing else. It was baked while flattening a bit with a metal spatula. The moment is was removed form the oven it was topped with a small amount of freshly-made pesto. This could possibly become my favorite pie.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:28:11 PM »
hi bill,

i make almost the same pie, i only add some cherry tomatoes.... they work great with the pesto....

the pie looks beautiful...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline s00da

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:15:25 AM »
Here is a "moon pizza" (della Luna), inspired by a recipe in Pizza - Any Way You Slice It by the Scicolone's.  The shaped dough was brushed with oil - nothing else. It was baked while flattening a bit with a metal spatula. The moment is was removed form the oven it was topped with a small amount of freshly-made pesto. This could possibly become my favorite pie.

I always thought of placing only oil on the dough and then top it after it's bakes but I had the impression that it would pop into a pita bread. Did the oil hold it down?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »
I always thought of placing only oil on the dough and then top it after it's bakes but I had the impression that it would pop into a pita bread. Did the oil hold it down?

I used the metal peel to keep it from ballooning. I've got some video of this pie baking. I'll try to upload it to youtube today or tomorrow.

Offline nirc

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
Hi Bill,

What is the recipe for the pesto that you used, I have never seen a consistency like yours? I also noticed that you used a mortar/ pestle to make your pesto, do you think that it impacts the flavor much vs doing it in a food processor.

Thanks,
NIRC

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I used the metal peel to keep it from ballooning. I've got some video of this pie baking. I'll try to upload it to youtube today or tomorrow.

Here is a video showing the whole thing. Something is wrong with the youTube encoding - there is supposed to be a sound track. But you'll get the idea:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq4c-qxT08U" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq4c-qxT08U</a>

Apologies for the shakey camera work. My granddaughter needs to work on her camera skills.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »
Hi Bill,

What is the recipe for the pesto that you used, I have never seen a consistency like yours? I also noticed that you used a mortar/ pestle to make your pesto, do you think that it impacts the flavor much vs doing it in a food processor.

Thanks,
NIRC

The recipe is from Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Italian Cooking. It is the best one I have ever tried. It's hard for me to say whether the hand method tastes better than food processor method. But the texture is entirely different. I prefer using the mortar and pestle - it really isn't that much more work.

Offline s00da

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 01:48:11 AM »
Here is a video showing the whole thing. Something is wrong with the youTube encoding - there is supposed to be a sound track. But you'll get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq4c-qxT08U

Apologies for the shakey camera work. My granddaughter needs to work on her camera skills.

Haha, cool  ;D eventhough you won the fight at the end, I believe a docker would've made it easier.

Please allow me to comment on something else. Don't you think you pies need more of an amber color to them? You can achieve this by decreasing fermentation. That's unless you intend for them to be like this of course  :D

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »
Please allow me to comment on something else. Don't you think you pies need more of an amber color to them? You can achieve this by decreasing fermentation. That's unless you intend for them to be like this of course  :D

I care not one iota about the color. The only thing that matters is the taste and texture. 

Offline s00da

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »
I care not one iota about the color. The only thing that matters is the taste and texture. 

Haha that's what I figured ;D explains you use of higher than 1-5% of starter to get the taste. I respect your style, it's your pizza after all

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »
My contribution to the July 2009 "Green" theme is a Papa John's style spinach alfredo/garlic pizza with grilled chicken, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, and a blend of whole-milk and low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheeses. This pizza is one that from time to time appears on the PJ specialty pizza list.

Peter

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »
Lou's style Spinach and garlic.

Offline zalicious

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 02:26:06 AM »
All these pies look fantastic! What have I got left, 2 days till the end of the month? I'm off Fri, maybe I can get one done Fri... :-\

Offline zalicious

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »
Well, this was rather fun. From my garden, I gathered basil, chives, zucchini, & cherry tomatoes. My sauce consisted of my regular sauce mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with some home made pesto. The dough had a little rye flour ( about 15% subbed out from the bread flour ), & some fresh basil leaves torn into it. The cheeses were a mix of mozz & provolone with a bit of feta sprinkled on top. I worried that the zucchini might make the pie soggy, so I dipped the slices in egg & seasoned bread crumbs, then fried them in a bit of olive oil. Tossed some capers onto the pie, & that was it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:31:37 AM by zalicious »