Author Topic: Midwestern Pizza Pilgrimage  (Read 5738 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Midwestern Pizza Pilgrimage
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 09:53:07 PM »
"What a loong , strange trip its been"
Just came to mind you know flashbacks
Thanks ME I really enjoyed your tour and cant wait til the next
We should all do this with our adventures to???
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:18 AM »
ME,

When I saw you went to Marty's I thought to myself "oh no not Marty's!", as we used to order from that location for our work functions. Glad to hear ytou liked, I on the other hand do not. The crust is too bland, dry, and crackery for me but yes the sausage is good.

I'm really enjoying this thread-Thanks for the excellent write ups!

Jeff

P.S. Tell your wife she's an  :angel:

Jeff,

I think your assessment is fairly correct about Marty's, but it didn't bother me that much.  I was more disappointed in the texture not holding up throughout the crust.  The overall taste, though, was very good.  But not perfect.  I did not come across a 5-pizza rated place at any of the restaurants we sampled.  All at least decent, but nothing highly exceptional.  I guess there is always room for improvement.

As a bonus, here are my two angels eating a salad (typical bagged variety) at Marty's in Brookfield, WI.  ;D

Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »
"What a loong , strange trip its been"
Just came to mind you know flashbacks
Thanks ME I really enjoyed your tour and cant wait til the next
We should all do this with our adventures to???
John

Actually, John, it was quite fun.  To approach eating pizza at a restaurant as both hungry chow hound and a critic was kind of fun.  It required some thinking before sitting down.  Notes or a good memory helps, too.  The interesting part was seeing people's faces as I whipped out my camera and started taking pictures of our pizza and various slices.  I am probably lucky they did call for the boys in white. :-D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »
Those pictures are fantastic and seeing them here really makes me miss Marty's, though I've only ever eaten at the one in Delafield.  Every time I had to drive past that town, I made sure I planned to stop for a meal.  I'm not sure whether it's the case at the one in Brookfield, but the Delafield has an all-you-can-eat option where they bake pizzas to order and keep bringing them out until everybody who's getting the all-you-can-eat option has had enough.  I'm pretty sure they'll box up the leftovers for you if you do that, but it's been a long time since I've gotten anything other than just a small or a medium (I usually was driving alone when I went through Delafield).  That said, there is another two-location "chain" in the Milwaukee area that has similar pizza: Balistreri's.  I don't have enough posts here to post an actual link, but there's some info on them at balistreris.com for anybody else passing through the area.  I've heard that they used to be Marty's locations, but I'm not sure whether that's true or not.  Either way, both Marty's and Balistreri's have delicious pizza and I really miss both of them.

One place that I would recommend trying if you're ever back in Milwaukee, though, is Pizza Shuttle on N. Farwell Ave.  It's just a bit north of downtown and parking can be a bit of a pain since the city sold off the lot next door to build apartments, but it was my favorite pizza shop during the 8 or so years I lived in Milwaukee.  Some of their food isn't quite as good any more (I think they changed to pre-formed crusts for the thick crust round pizzas and they're cooking the breadsticks a bit differently, for example), but just before I moved out of the area in late 2007, I had one of their square Sicilian pizzas and it was just as good as ever.  I'd suggest the Sicilian there, but the regular crust round pizzas are good, too.  There are a couple of downsides, though.  Their pizza is extremely heavy, so it's not something to get if you're in the mood for something light and it's usually better when eaten at the restaurant, but it's well worth it.  Again, I can't post a direct link to their site, but they have their full menu, location info, etc. up at pizzashuttle.com.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome reviews.  I really enjoyed them.   :)

First, thank you, too, and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Second, I have heard of Pizza Shuttle in that part of the country.  I am hoping it is not any relation to the Pizza Shuttle that opened up in Lawrence, KS in the 1980's as I was going to college there.  It is still there and still going strong.  http://www.8421212.com/
Basically, it has always been known for cheap, fast pizza, but never good.  I think I might have tried a bite of one once.  That was enough for me.  For college guys drunk out of their minds on brew and purple passion, it (or anything) will fit the bill, but for me, I guess I can only lower my standards so far.  I think the Pizza Shuttle in Milwaukee is probably a different animal, which is a good thing.  There were a couple of other places in the Milwaukee area I would have liked to have tried, including Maria's Place on West Forest Home Avenue and Zaffiro's.  Maybe next time.

Let them eat pizza.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 09:04:57 PM »
Enjoying your reviews. keep up the good work!!

Offline ThePizzaBiatch

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
The HJ review doesn't surprise me a bit.  I'm from the original home of Happy Joe's, and worked at "The Rock" HJ during High School in the 80's.  Living in Des Moines, we still order HJ occasionally, but over the past several years their consistency has dropped tremendously.  One out of every 5 visits we get one of the 'old school' varieties that ends up being almost perfect and lives up to the memories.  3 of 5, we get a less than middle of the road variety that just simply isn't up to expectations, and 20% of the time, we don't eat it because it's on the raw or burnt side.  Quality has not followed their growth over the years...or maybe I've just become pickier!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
The HJ review doesn't surprise me a bit.  I'm from the original home of Happy Joe's, and worked at "The Rock" HJ during High School in the 80's.  Living in Des Moines, we still order HJ occasionally, but over the past several years their consistency has dropped tremendously.  One out of every 5 visits we get one of the 'old school' varieties that ends up being almost perfect and lives up to the memories.  3 of 5, we get a less than middle of the road variety that just simply isn't up to expectations, and 20% of the time, we don't eat it because it's on the raw or burnt side.  Quality has not followed their growth over the years...or maybe I've just become pickier!

I think their quality going downhill was why they left the KC area in '87.  When my family moved to the area in '78, Happy Joe's was THE place for anyone to get pizza in our neighborhood.  But with the 80's came Godfathers, a new pizza place at the local mall, and an ever growing number of Pizza Hut locations that offered more options and convenience for people.  I stopped relying on HJ's back in the mid-80's because I thought their quality was slipping.  They were no longer hot and trendy for other folks, and they let their product quality decline, practically forcing people to choose other options.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline madjack

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 11:24:44 AM »
It sounds like you passed right through the area where I live...

If you end up making another trip I have a few suggestions:

Manny's in Savanna Illinois, they have a very unique pizza. I think he may have one or two additional locations now, but the original is in Savanna.

Vitale Joe's Pizza in Clinton Iowa. Good Chicago style pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 09:33:41 PM »
Thanks, Madjack.

Does Vitale Joe's serve deep dish or southside Chicago pizza?
Let them eat pizza.

Offline madjack

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 09:47:41 AM »
Thanks, Madjack.

Does Vitale Joe's serve deep dish or southside Chicago pizza?

Deep dish... their signature pie is a stuffed pizza.

pizzapan