Author Topic: mixers opinions  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Chet

mixers opinions
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:21:49 PM »

I have been thinking of a Kitchen Aid pro 600, but after reading on this site, I have been hearing about food processors for dough mixing, there are 2 food processors I had in mind, one is the Cuisinart DLC 2011 and the Kitchen Aid 750, any suggestions, opinions.

Chet

Offline Jackitup

Re: mixers opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
I have the KA and love it. I tried the Cuisinart and took it back the next day. The dough will work up inside the blade and post making a gooey mess under the container. I've had the KA for some time now with no complaints.
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:03:31 PM »
Forgot, I also have the 600 and have been very happy with it too. If the budget isn't tooo tight, go for both  >:D
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Chet

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:08:22 PM »
Forgot, I also have the 600 and have been very happy with it too. If the budget isn't tooo tight, go for both  >:D
Jon

Jon

My budget is of importance.... If I get talked out of the food processor, I think I will save up for the Bosch mixer, If I cannot make it money wise, I may look for a good deal on a refurbished Pro 600 ect.

Chet

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »
I have the Bosch mixer and love it for dough!!

Highly recommended.

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:10:28 PM »
whatever you do don't get the KA Artisan...not the best product for making a decent batch of dough, even with recipe modification and adding ingredients in stages.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline Schmid65

• Slowly Learning :)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »
I use a DLX. They're a bit more expensive, and work differently than a KA, but imo they are a better machine.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »
Another vote for the bosch,  tough to beat at the price. -marc

Offline Chet

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »

I was saying that I had an interest in the Bosch, after watching a video on the Bosch mixer, is it my imagination or not, but it seems like the KA design with the spiral dough hook does a better job at dough mixing than a Bosch type, the dough dosen't seem to roll around like the KA style mixers. is this so.

Chet

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »
Chet....Almost all people that dis the KA mixer have not had the opportunity to use one with the spiral hook. I have a KA K5SS and started using the spiral hook with it. There is no comparison. I make 100% whole wheat pizzas that stretch like white flour. If I was making just white flour pizza, I would probably just mix it by hand.

Villa Roma

Offline Chet

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »
Chet....Almost all people that dis the KA mixer have not had the opportunity to use one with the spiral hook. I have a KA K5SS and started using the spiral hook with it. There is no comparison. I make 100% whole wheat pizzas that stretch like white flour. If I was making just white flour pizza, I would probably just mix it by hand.

Villa Roma

Villa Roma & All

Thanks for your opinions, much appreciated

Chet

Online JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 01:59:22 PM »
Villa,
I have been requested to try whole wheat pizzas, based on the frequency of my pizza making these days. Yours is the obvious choice, being I will be doing it in the Wood Fired oven, and they look spectacular!! I have the KA 500 artisan and have made quite a few dough over the last 8 months with  (in my opinion) good results, but I cannot find the spiral attachment ? Could you please advise me on where I can get one?
Thanks
John
Oh, my next mixer will be a Hobart 12 or 20 Q!! etp (estimated time of purchase) 2015 :) by that time I may have done another few experiments and have a formula I am willing to make larger batches of. :pizza:
John
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:05:15 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 11:33:09 PM »
John,

The spiral hook will not fit on the artisan tilt head type mixer. I believe it is too long.

Villa Roma

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 08:25:47 AM »
The prior comment is correct in that the spiral head does not fit on the smaller KA's. I actually was determined to try the spiral head on my small KA, and cut the end off with an angle grinder until it just cleared the bottom. I actually had to shave a little off the sides of the hook as well, since it brushed the sides of the bowl as it turned without doing so. The result works pretty well, and is much much better than that standard C hook. I am dismayed that a company like KA, with a mixer that has such a large market share, took so long to produce a dough hook that actually works like intended. The C hook, in my use, was nearly worthless.

Jim

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 06:51:51 PM »
Chet

I've been using the Bosch for the past couple of years and the video is deceiving.  What is actually happening is the dough gets folded and sliced as it goes around, about every four revolutions it completely turns the dough.  I've found that it mixes very quickly and uniformly in a short amount of time.  I have mixed so far up to 10 lbs of dough at once and it took about 8 minutes at the lowest speed.  Usually when I make 2 to 4 lbs it only takes 4 or 5 minutes.  I have not used the spiral hook on the KA and it looks very good and closer to what the larger commercial units use but for me the speed, auto transmission and bulk size is what sold me on the Bosch.

Pete W

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »
Is the Bosch capable of making small amounts of dough, for example, a single 12-ounce doughball?

Peter

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
I have a Bosch and think it does better with larger amounts of dough, say 16oz or better. If I was doing 12 oz I would probably use my wife's old KA. The Bosch came to protect the KA which started to scream in agony with large amounts of dough.

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 10:37:59 PM »
I agree that for single balls it does not do well.  The smallest I do is 2 325gr balls for 14" pies; takes about 4 minutes.

Pete W

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 06:23:09 AM »
I have a Santos Fork mixer & an Electrolux DLX.  I just got the DLX a couple of weeks ago & haven't even taken it out of the box yet.  I'll use it to mix up my first batch once my oven's done.

Offline toyman

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 03:40:59 PM »
I've been using my DLX since February with excellent results.  I do 7-10# batches.  It is gentle and takes some time, but the dough comes out silky smooth and easy to use.  A very solid and powerful machine.

Offline TronCarter

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 08:10:35 AM »
I have the KA Pro 600 with spiral hook and can't complain at all.  It is my first mixer so I don't really have anything to compare it to.  It does have the 6 quart bowl which is great for large batches, but sometimes doesn't work all that well for 16oz or less dough balls.  Mine has a permanent place on the counter as it gets used 3-4 times per week.  I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Offline Chet

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 09:49:07 AM »

OK, Getting back on the topic, does anyone know if Bosch ever has any refurbs on sale or used

Chet

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 09:51:16 AM »
they are really inexpensive on ebay, but it might be worth buying the new universal plus.  Its much bigger!

Offline Chet

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 11:15:55 AM »
they are really inexpensive on ebay, but it might be worth buying the new universal plus.  Its much bigger!

Yes Scott

I am after the Universal Plus, but at $400 not quite what I have to spend, that is why I am looking to see if refurbs Universal plus models are available

Chet
PS actually I just made (3) 3 cups flour /1 cup water/ 2tbl honey/2 tsp yeast/1/2tsp salt. batches of pizza dough in my old bread machine using the knead setting only, not bad!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:17:44 AM by Chet »