Author Topic: Anybody know the temp of a real pizza oven?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Anybody know the temp of a real pizza oven?
« on: February 15, 2005, 10:41:38 AM »
I was wondering how hot the professional type blodgett pizza ovens (or other brand names for that matter) get when pizza shops cook their pizzas.
Anybody have connections to a pizza shop or know for sure?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Anybody know the temp of a real pizza oven?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 12:55:20 PM »
bortz,

When I was vacationing in Massachusetts last year I spent some time with a local pizza operator who specializes in NY style pizzas. He uses a Baker's Pride deck oven that can get up to 550 degrees F (or so he said). He bakes his pizzas at 470 degrees F.

If you research pizza ovens, like Baker's Pride and Blodgett ovens, and look at the specs, you will see that the oven temperatures generally range from about 500-550 degrees F (even though the specs may list an outside max. temperature of around 650 degrees F). From what I have read, as a practical matter, most pizza operators tend to use 500-550 degrees F, and are happy to get a constant 525 degrees F temperature if they can (which is not always easy with the doors being frequently opened and closed.) However, it is also common for some pizza operators, like the one mentioned above, to use lower bake temperatures, say, around 450 degrees F. The actual bake temperature selected will depend not only on the type and model of oven, but the type of pizza to be made, whether the pizza has a thick or thin crust, whether pizza screens are used or not, etc.

Peter

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 07:35:59 AM »
Thanks Pete.  I tried an experiment with my old electric oven and by going past the broil setting on the dial, I can get it up to 600 degrees so it looks like I'm good to go.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 09:07:02 AM »
What are the temp's around,,, "in those convayer belt ovens" Like the one in Little Caesars' and Marco's?
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 11:32:13 AM »
Trin,

I don't know what kind of conveyors Little Caesar's and Marco's use, but, generally speaking, conveyors (I assume they are using screens or disks) run around 435-450 degrees F for a thin crust pizza, 425-435 degrees F for a thick pizza, and around 435 degrees F for a deep-dish pizza (although this last one can get a bit tricky and depends on how the dough is made, number and types of toppings, etc.)

Peter

Offline Gils

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 06:39:15 PM »
When I worked with the deck ovens we ran our heat at about 525-550 like Pete stated.  You get (IMO) a better flavor with brick ovens, but you do fight with consistent temps, hot spots & cool spots.
In another place I worked we used a forced air gas oven with a conveyor chain. The oven was set at approx 515 with a runtime of  (I think) 4:15 approx from start to finish. This was for thin crust pizzas, and our deep dish would be run through once, & then we would place them back in at about the halfway mark on the belt and let them run the second half. This would allow for penetration of the heat into the middle of the pie.  IT was a great oven for pushing a serious amount of pizza out the door in a hurry.

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 04:11:35 PM »
Thanks Guys