Author Topic: dividing dough balls video  (Read 3757 times)

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Re: dividing dough balls video
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »
High hydration Neapolitan dough with no oil.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
my dough looks like the picture (close, nor exactly).... but it sticks allot, and the video dough sticks so little.... here is a pizza whit dough at 63% hydration that i made this weekend...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »
Wow, That is a beautiful looking Neapolitan pizza. Are you willing to dissect it from dough to cheese and tomatoes? !!

Offline scpizza

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 01:10:44 PM »
The video dough sticks mightily to the counter and itself.  The only thing it sticks minimally to is his hands because he is handling it properly.  How you handle a dough makes a difference in how much it sticks.

To illustrate this, take a normally hydrated Neapolitan dough that you would otherwise have no stickage problems with.  Tear off a portion and grip it tightly with a fist, clutching it for 10 seconds.  Now open.  The dough will be stuck all over your hand.  Handling matters.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »
hi thezaman, well its a 12h room temp + 24h balled in the fridge, than 3h counter rise before baking at 430c... the sauce is regular italian canned tomatos, i take most of the seeds out and season it whit salt and pepper (also let them drain a little)... the cheese is a mix of cows milk and bufala milk that a brazilan farm makes and its very good !!! i always sprinkle fresh parmesan cheese on the sauce before the mozzarella and just finish it whit basil.....

scpizza, its true just waiting a moment changes and it starts to stick.....

Infoodel

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
Not sure if it's relevant, but it is totally OK to flour or moisten your hands before handling dough. Many bakers prefer to do this rather than pouring flour all over the work surface. As SC says, though, speed of handling is also important. Constantly moving and folding the dough maintains the tension and avoids stickage...never stationary/idle. The guy in the video is really good but the dough is also v. well developed.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 01:34:56 PM »

In addition to the absence of signs of oil on the counter or on his hands and the tight adherence of dough to the counter, looking carefully (in HQ mode), the sheen is even and omnipresent even in the gullies of newly stretched out dough, between portions that are torn off, and on regions that are newly exposed to the surface.

Then I'll agree we disagree.I've watched it in full screen HD mode,and to me the yellow glow of oil is apparent (notably at around the 46 second point where the dough meets the bench to the left of the screen ).BTW is that a silicone matt you use?Do they help much with your dough handling?
Regards
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scpizza

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »
I had noted the yellow glow but attributed that to dough color reflection.  More troubling though, I do see what appears to be something pooling and rolling away on the far left edge between 44-48 seconds.  I think I have to stand corrected with respect to this video...I don't know what that fluid could be except oil!  I'm disappointed.

I will however, continue to assert that high hydration Neapolitan dough can still visually appear to be "oiled" as in my photo above and also that it can be handled successfully by a skilled pizzaiolo.

Yes, it is a silicone mat.  I use it when forming a skin with a mind to minimizing bench flour.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:06:05 PM by scpizza »

Offline josteh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 02:13:44 PM »
Then I'll agree we disagree.I've watched it in full screen HD mode,and to me the yellow glow of oil is apparent (notably at around the 46 second point where the dough meets the bench to the left of the screen ).BTW is that a silicone matt you use?Do they help much with your dough handling?
Regards
David

I agree.. it has to be oil, the yellow´ish thing you see to the left @ approx 46 sec..

j.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »
I thought the same thing on last look, oil in the bottom left of the picture ,but not sure of it. Is oil a no no even on top of the balls to keep them from sticking to a covering of plastic?

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 02:51:46 PM »
a always put a drop o EVOO inside my Tupperware and spread it whit a paper towel before dropping the dough ball inside....