Author Topic: what dough to use for margherita?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline CDNpielover

what dough to use for margherita?
« on: July 11, 2009, 10:48:45 PM »
hi,

we have some fresh basil here and want to grill up some margherita pies tomorrow night.  I've never made these before, and was wondering if someone could point me towards recipes for dough, sauce and the entire pie.

i know this is short notice, but we would probably want to make the dough tonight, so prompt replies would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline stupidhaiku

Re: what dough to use for margherita?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:24:30 PM »
I usually taste my tomatoes before deciding what to put in them.  If they're sufficiently sweet and flavorful, I add nothing (which is best).  For some of the blander cans, I'll add November's sauce #2 recipe at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.msg32136.html#msg32136 without the onion and garlic powders (I find them too mellowing and pungent for a margh), and rarely adding sugar or salt depending on the can of tomatoes.  I think most canned tomatoes can do without the salt, and the sugar is a taste thing and is typically a personal thing.  My policy is to add sugar only when the tomatoes exhibit bitterness as a primary characteristic.  As far as dough is concerned, I dunno, as the earliest I've ever made a dough is for next day with a 24-hour room temp ferment.  Try searching for "emergency dough" and see what you can come up with.  
-Mike (one of them, anyway)