Author Topic: any worthwhile mixers for $3-400?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline petebert

any worthwhile mixers for $3-400?
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
I see some pretty bad reviews for the KA's when it comes to pizza dough so I'm a little leary of getting one. I can get a viking 7 qt, the VSM700 for $425. It has a bad review here, is everyhing in this price range for making cookies? Right now I'm mixing pizza doughs with 25oz of flour along with pretzels, bagels, etc.. by hand. Would like the convenience of the mixer doing it for me.

Offline AZ-Buckeye

Re: any worthwhile mixers for $3-400?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:22:05 AM »
I've had the KA Pro-600 for about 6 months and love it.   The Pro-600 has a spiral dough hook (not the C-hook which some complain about).  Admittedly, I am not a heavy duty baker.  Typically, I use it to make a batch of pizza dough large enough for 6-8 300 gram dough balls.  No problems whatsoever handling this much dough and I am sure I could make a much larger batch.  I think you can find this model online in the $300-$400 range.

Offline petebert

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:44:31 AM »
I may go pro 600, I can get it for $330 and theres a $40 mail in rebate right now. I have read in the reviews that if you burn up your mixer, KA will just keep replacing them for you.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »
Pete,  the bosch universal has been very good to me and i believe it to be a better option than the KA.  In fact I may be upgrading soon to the newer model.  just my 2 cents -marc

Offline jaholbrook

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 09:09:43 AM »
Not sure if this is too late but I just saw on Amazon.com that they have the KA pro 600 series 6 qt. mixer on sale (new) for $330.74 - a $169.25 savings off retail!  There is also a $40.00 mail in rebate. A very good deal IMO.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »
I agree with marc, the bosch is much better than the KA, and really easy to use.    You just dump the ingredients in, turn it on, and walk away.   There is no babysitting at all like I have found with most other mixers.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »
Not sure if this is too late but I just saw on Amazon.com that they have the KA pro 600 series 6 qt. mixer on sale (new) for $330.74 - a $169.25 savings off retail!  There is also a $40.00 mail in rebate. A very good deal IMO.

The Empire Red model is actually cheaper at only $319.99. I wonder if those might be older ones with the plastic gearbox, which Kitchenaid claims they will replace by extending the warranty. From the Amazon reviews & comments:

RESPONSE FROM KITCHENAID: Thank you for visiting the KitchenAid
    website!

I would like to reassure you that our engineering and product teams
    have addressed the gear box issue. In fact, we have already
    implemented a change in the manufacturing of the Pro 600 Stand Mixers
    to a metal gear box. Although these will be changed out on additional
    5 qt bowl-lift models that include all metal gearing, the time line on
    that is not known at this time. Although a transparent change, this
    will insure the long-term durability we expect.

I would like to emphasize to you that should you purchase a Stand
    Mixer (with all metal gearing) which has not been assembled with the
    upgraded metal gear box, and you should have a problem with your mixer
    (as a result of the plastic gear box (failure), we will most certainly
    extend your warranty to resolve the issue properly and effectively.

If you have additional questions, feel free to reply back to me. Or,
    you may contact either our KitchenAid Customer Satisfaction Center at
    1-800-541-6390, or you may visit our secure KitchenAid Live Chat.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 06:31:28 PM »
Like Scott R, I think I'd reccomend the Bosch, I don't have any personal experience with it, but I recently purchased an Electrolux DLX, and the are a similar concept.  The days of watching your dough hook for creep-up will be over.  The Bosch also has a very large workbowl and can handle large amounts of dough.  You really can't lose.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:29:44 PM »
I have a KitchenAid Accolade 400 mixer which I rarely use because it is so loud.  I mix most of my pizza dough in a food processer. Provided you don't use too much flour at once and avoid overheating the dough, the results are outstanding. 

TinRoof

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 01:49:28 PM »
I've got a KA artisan which does not work very well for mixing dough...I have however figured out a way to mix with the latch unlocked and frequently bringing the mixer attachment up and down to mix the dough...otherwise, the dough just creeps up the C hook. Not the best way to do it, but buying a decent mixer is not happening right now, so I make do with what I have.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »
For what it is worth, I also have a smaller KitchenAid mixer that came with the C Hook. The C Hook is  pretty bad at  mixing bread and pizza dough, and KA came up with a spiral hook accessory a few years ago. Unfortunately, it is too big for the smaller KA mixers like mine. I bought one before realizing this, and decided to take a hack saw and saw off the last inch or so of the spiral hook (it fits onto the mixer no problem, it was just too long to be inserted into the bowl). This has worked really well for me. FYI I also had to shave down the sides of the spiral hook because it would not clear the side of the bowl as it turned around without making the hook just a little thinner.

This bit of improvising saved me from buying a new mixer, and I am happy with the results.

jim

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »
I have some experiene with smaller KA's and am not fond of them at all. I Dont care for the c-hook and the motor seems too weak to do large batches or low hydrations.

However, i am fond of my KA 600pro. The spiral hook is very nice and works great. The motor is strong enough to do 4 16 inch pies without a problem. I believe the problems with the 600pro's have been fixed. Mine has been flawless and has turned out many pies and batches of cookies. I would buy it again without a doubt.

I have no experience with the bosch but im sure its a fine mixer also.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

pizzapan