Author Topic: Pizza Inn thin crust recipe  (Read 11853 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Pizza Inn thin crust recipe
« on: September 30, 2003, 05:38:30 PM »
I was talking to an old co-worker and he might have an old recipe for a Pizza Inn thin crust.  Back before they then went to flour mix add water and oil.

DKM
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 01:35:22 PM by Steve »
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Thin crust pizza definition
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 06:07:57 PM »
I was talking to an old co-worker and he might have an old recipe for a Pizza Inn thin crust.  Back before they then went to flour mix add water and oil.

That'd be awesome! Please see if you can get it.  ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 11:19:55 PM »
32 lb of thin Crust flour (This was lower protein flour then the pan)
11 1/2 lb 90 degree water
18 oz Vegetable oil
6 oz yeast
12 oz premix (a salt/sugar mix)

Pour 3/4 of the water and the oil into the mixing bowl, in the remaining water in mix the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.

Add flour and premix into bowl then the yeast water.

Mix 9 minutes.

Put in bucket and let rise for 9 hours at room temp.

Dough will be good between 9 to 18 hours.

DKM
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 11:21:14 PM by DKM »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 07:40:43 AM »
Thanks, DKM!! Here's that recipe scaled down and converted to volumetric measurments:

1 pound flour
3/4 cup water (actually 0.7 cups or 5.6 fluid ounces)
3 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. yeast
2 1/4 tsp. "premix" -- I'd guess 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar.

Funny, it appears to be even drier than my recipe... only 5.6 fluid ounces of water vs. 7 fluid ounces in my recipe. This jibes with what Tom Lehmann says about thin crust -- that there should still be raw flour in the bowl after everything has been mixed and kneaded. When I use 7 fl. ounces in my recipe, there is raw flour in the bowl, but it eventually incorporates into the dough ball. Sounds like I should be using even less water!

Also, I wrote to Pizza Inn several years ago asking for their thin crust recipe and here's the response I got:

The ingredients are only a portion of the recipe along how long to mix, proof time, etc., which are equally as important and equally as proprietary.  Ingredients and training materials are only available to franchised Pizza Inn owners.

Thanks again,

Ward Olgreen
Senior Vice President
Concept Development
Pizza Inn, Inc.
5050 Quorum Suite 500
Dallas, Texas  75240
972-701-9955
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 01:39:15 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 08:00:51 AM »
Here's another thin crust pizza recipe that I found on the 'net:
http://www.honey.com/foodserv/recip/pizza/thincrust.html

Thin Pizza Crust
- Yield: approx. 55 pizzas -

Ingredients

25 lbs. *High Protein "Pizza" Flour
8 oz. salt
1 lb., 3 oz. honey
6 oz. yeast (compressed)
8 oz. salad oil
13 lbs., 8 oz. water (70F)

Directions

Put water, and yeast in mixing bowl and stir together to suspend the yeast. Add remainder of ingredients, except the oil, and mix (Hobart Mixer with dough hook) for four minutes at flow speed, then add the oil and mix 1 minute at low speed, then 8 minutes at medium speed.

(My comment: I find it interesting that this recipe follows the advice of Tom Lehmann where the oil is added 4 minutes into the kneading process)

Take the dough to the bench and scale into desired weight pieces, form each piece into a round ball.

Place the dough balls on a sheet pan or in a dough box, wipe each dough ball with oil and place in the refrigerator for storage up of 1 3 days. Dough balls are ready to use after 12-14 hours in the cooler.

When needed, remove a quantity of dough balls from the refrigerator, allow them to warm slightly at room temperature (60 to 90 minutes) flour the dough ball, and sheet to desired thickness and diameter, or if desired, the dough may be hand stretched or tossed to obtain desired thickness and diameter.

Dock the dough and put it onto a pan, screen, disk or oven peel (use parchment paper or fine corn meal to facilitate sliding the dough off of the peel onto the baking surface).

Add sauce, cheese and other desired toppings, then take directly to the oven for baking.

*This flour works well for a "restaurant pizza" where the pie will be consumed shortly after baking. When a "carryout" or "home delivered" pizza is made, flour with a protein content of 12 to 13% will produce a more tender eating crust.

Baking Temp

450 500F for approximately 8-10 minutes in a deck oven.
450 465F for approximately 6.5 to 7.5 minutes in an impingement oven

« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 08:04:26 AM by Steve »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Thin crust pizza definition
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 04:46:01 PM »
Thanks, DKM!! Here's that recipe scaled down and converted to volumetric measurments:

1 pound flour
3/4 cup water (actually 0.7 cups or 5.6 fluid ounces)
3 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. yeast
2 1/4 tsp. "premix" -- I'd guess 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar.

Funny, it appears to be even drier than my recipe... only 5.6 fluid ounces of water vs. 7 fluid ounces in my recipe. This jibes with what Tom Lehmann says about thin crust -- that there should still be raw flour in the bowl after everything has been mixed and kneaded. When I use 7 fl. ounces in my recipe, there is raw flour in the bowl, but it eventually incorporates into the dough ball. Sounds like I should be using even less water!

Also, I wrote to Pizza Inn several years ago asking for their thin crust recipe and here's the response I got:

I don't remeber any raw flour, however it was VERY dry, and it was not in a ball but rather "chunks" of dough.

DKM
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 09:14:36 PM by DKM »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Pizza Inn thin crust recipe
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 10:25:29 AM »
Having the Pizza Inn recipe tonight.

Last night, I made up two batches of dough. One with 3/4 cup water, the second with even less (I'd say about 5 1/2 fluid ounces). Both took a long time for the flour to incorporate into the dough. The resulting dough for each batch was "scrappy"... i.e., no complete ball formed, rather there are scraps and bits of dough in the bowl. By squeezing and compressing the scraps, I was able to get a ball to form.

I used Sam's Club Bakers & Chefs all-purpose flour for both batches.

Dough is rising at room temerature.

Will post the results tomorrow.  :)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 07:19:46 PM »
Made two pizzas tonight using the DKM's "Pizza Inn" recipe. Made up two doughs last night and gave them a 24 hour rise at room temperature (70 degrees F.) First dough used 3/4 cup water, the other 5 1/2 to 6 fluid ounces water -- it was very dry and scrappy in the bowl after kneading for 10 minutes.

Ok. Here are the official results of this recipe:

In a word -- Truly AWESOME!!!  ;D

The first (with the 3/4 cup water) was great....

The second with 5 1/2 fl.oz. water -- better!!

Crust was thin, crunchy, and crisp --- truly "cracker like" !!!

Baked the pizzas in my standard cutter pan on the lowest rack in the oven... this was the trick to getting the crust to crisp up -- pan close to the heating element made all the difference in the world.

Here are some photos of tonight's masterpiece.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2003, 07:21:00 PM »
This is a close-up shot of a slice!  ;D

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2003, 07:22:48 PM »
This is the second pizza (a S.M.O.G -- Sausage, Mushroom, Onion, Green pepper)... this was made with the drier dough... note the cracker crumbs! Yum!!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2003, 09:19:49 PM »
MAN does that bring back memories!!!

"Scraps" is how it should come out.  We would throw them in the container and let them rise and the dough came together during the rise.

If I wasn't sicker than a dog, I'd be making it right now....

DKM

« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 11:54:20 AM by DKM »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 08:05:42 AM »
Ok, now that I've had a night's sleep... I like to share some more observations about this recipe.

1. DKM hit it right on the money... while the dough was "scrappy" after 10 minutes of kneading in the mixer bowl, it "came together" during the overnight rise... i.e., after squeezing the scraps together and putting them in the bucket to rise overnight, the next day the dough ball appeared "normal" ... it was a nice uniform ball of dough.

2. This dough did not need a lot of flour sprinkled on it or the work surface... the dough was so dry and dense that I had no problems with it sticking to anything while I was rolling it out.

3. I removed my pizza stone from the oven for this recipe. I set one rack at its lowest position. I set another rack half-way up. I cooked the pizza for 5 minutes on the middle rack, then I moved the pizza to the bottom rack to finish up the cooking. I used a standard non-preforated aluminum cutter pan which was lightly oiled with Crisco. The bottom browned nicely with the pan being so close to the heating element. Note: I opened the oven door occasionaly to let some heat out so that the heating element would kick back on... this kept the pan nice and hot and kept the bottom cooking!

NOTE: I did not pre-bake the crust using this recipe (nor did I need to!!)... just rolled out the dough, put it in the pan, docked, applied sauce, cheese, and toppings, then straight into the oven! Crisp, crisp, crisp!!  ;D ;D ;D

4. The second pizza, a SMOG (sausage, mushroom, onion, green pepper), was weighed down pretty heavily with toppings... even so, the crust was so crisp that you could hold a slice by its edge, supported in the middle with your thumb, and the slice kept its shape!! (i.e., no drooping or sagging)

Guess what I'm having for lunch today?   ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 08:08:45 AM by Steve »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 11:57:08 AM »
I've got to get over this stomach bug.  Had it since Thursday and all my pizza, Q, and candy plans have been scrapped.

I'm just have to try your converted recipe.  You pictures looked great.

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 11:11:13 PM »
Great looking pizza Steve.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2003, 07:11:33 AM »
The stone blocks the radiant heat from the bottom of the stove when the element or gas comes on.  I always take my stone out for anything other than New York Style.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 07:33:01 AM »
DKM...

How about the Pizza Inn sauce recipe??  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2003, 05:44:46 PM »
Steve, did I understand you right?  You let the dough rise for 24 hours in kitchen not in the Fridge.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2003, 10:03:46 PM »
DKM...

How about the Pizza Inn sauce recipe??  ;D ;D ;D

Which one, we went through 5 durring my time.  :o

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2003, 10:04:47 PM »
Steve, did I understand you right?  You let the dough rise for 24 hours in kitchen not in the Fridge.

Randy

All our dough was kept at room temp.

DKM

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 07:43:28 AM »

Yes, 24 hours at room temperature (~70 degrees F.)

It was awesome!  ;D

Which one, we went through 5 durring my time.  :o

DKM -- Post 'em all!! Or, at the very least, the best tasting one!  ;)