Author Topic: Midwestern Pizza Pilgrimage  (Read 6367 times)

Offline ThePizzaBiatch

Re: Midwestern Pizza Pilgrimage
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
The HJ review doesn't surprise me a bit.  I'm from the original home of Happy Joe's, and worked at "The Rock" HJ during High School in the 80's.  Living in Des Moines, we still order HJ occasionally, but over the past several years their consistency has dropped tremendously.  One out of every 5 visits we get one of the 'old school' varieties that ends up being almost perfect and lives up to the memories.  3 of 5, we get a less than middle of the road variety that just simply isn't up to expectations, and 20% of the time, we don't eat it because it's on the raw or burnt side.  Quality has not followed their growth over the years...or maybe I've just become pickier!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
The HJ review doesn't surprise me a bit.  I'm from the original home of Happy Joe's, and worked at "The Rock" HJ during High School in the 80's.  Living in Des Moines, we still order HJ occasionally, but over the past several years their consistency has dropped tremendously.  One out of every 5 visits we get one of the 'old school' varieties that ends up being almost perfect and lives up to the memories.  3 of 5, we get a less than middle of the road variety that just simply isn't up to expectations, and 20% of the time, we don't eat it because it's on the raw or burnt side.  Quality has not followed their growth over the years...or maybe I've just become pickier!

I think their quality going downhill was why they left the KC area in '87.  When my family moved to the area in '78, Happy Joe's was THE place for anyone to get pizza in our neighborhood.  But with the 80's came Godfathers, a new pizza place at the local mall, and an ever growing number of Pizza Hut locations that offered more options and convenience for people.  I stopped relying on HJ's back in the mid-80's because I thought their quality was slipping.  They were no longer hot and trendy for other folks, and they let their product quality decline, practically forcing people to choose other options.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline madjack

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 11:24:44 AM »
It sounds like you passed right through the area where I live...

If you end up making another trip I have a few suggestions:

Manny's in Savanna Illinois, they have a very unique pizza. I think he may have one or two additional locations now, but the original is in Savanna.

Vitale Joe's Pizza in Clinton Iowa. Good Chicago style pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 09:33:41 PM »
Thanks, Madjack.

Does Vitale Joe's serve deep dish or southside Chicago pizza?
Let them eat pizza.

Offline madjack

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 09:47:41 AM »
Thanks, Madjack.

Does Vitale Joe's serve deep dish or southside Chicago pizza?

Deep dish... their signature pie is a stuffed pizza.