Author Topic: Just bot Saltillo tiles and did not have great results  (Read 1314 times)

Offline ccolton

Just bot Saltillo tiles and did not have great results
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »
The tiles are unglazed, 8 inches square and about 3/4" thick.  I bought them to get a crispier and darker bottom to the crust than the pizza stone I used.

The best I got was a pale tan color.  I like when the pizza is actually burnt in some places.

I heated up my oven, wolf electric convection, to 550 degrees, the highest temp and cooked several pizzas over 1 1/2 hours so even if the first pizza was cooked on a stone not fully heated, i would have thought the one of the following ones would have.

before I through them out, can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Offline m_pizza

Re: Just bot Saltillo tiles and did not have great results
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:26:45 AM »
Do you have a broiler element at the top of your oven you could move them really close to?

I use really thin clay tiles and put them close to the gas broiler flame - they get upto 800F in no time and the pie chars well - it might be difficult to get the same char if your max temp is 550. The fact that your tiles are pretty thick too (3/4") means they would probably take longer to heat up aswell - how about you leave it to heat up for 2 hours before you put the first pizza on. Plus if you are cooking several pizzas on it over a period of time that is going to be reducing the stone temperature so maybe in that 1.5 hours the tiles didnt have a chance to heat up properly because the pizzas were absorbing all the heat from.

Most likely someone more experienced will give you some better advice

Offline ccolton

Re: Just bot Saltillo tiles and did not have great results
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:42:20 AM »
m_pizza,

Thank you for your reply.  I agree with your comments,  I think the thickness of the tiles has a big impact.  I will keep trying!