Author Topic: Lentinni secret sauce recipe-as promised  (Read 2505 times)

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Lentinni secret sauce recipe-as promised
« on: February 16, 2005, 06:19:13 PM »
Went over to the parent's house today to talk with my mom about the pizza sauce she used to make back when they used to have pizza parties for my dad's swimming team. It turns out this is an old Italian recipe handed down to my mother in exchange for taking care of one of the Lentini boys.  The time period was the early fifties so the recipe is even older than that.  Anyway, here's the recipe that was on a 3x5 faded yellow index card over at my mom's house:

Lentini pizza sauce:
1 large can peeled tomatoes (no brand or quantity specified)
3 cloves of garlic- chopped
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste added a pinch at a time

Put tomatoes in sauce pan. Add and stir all ingredients.  Cook on low heat for 1/2 hr. and stir frequently to avoid burning or sticking to pan.

The thing I remember about this when my mom made this, is she let it cook for several hours and you could barely see any flame as she simmered it.
The aroma would make you feel good all day.  8)

I hope you guys try this and tweak it just like I'm going to do so we can compare notes and get this perfected.

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Lentinni secret sauce recipe-as promised
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 06:52:58 PM »
I really like the fresh parsley part of it.  My grandmother also puts parsley in the everything - even when it's not printed in her recipes, it's automatic...