Author Topic: New Toy: Cast Iron Pizza Pan!  (Read 1904 times)

Offline hotsawce

New Toy: Cast Iron Pizza Pan!
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:27:54 PM »
So I grabbed the Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan. Plans within the week are to super heat it under the broiler then pop it in and hope for a 3 minute bake!

It should be infinitely better than my Bed Bath and Beyond, cracked in half stone!

Anyone have experience using this? It's very flat and it's not raised, unlike the skillet, so it might provide the perfect height from the top of the broiler.

Offline carbon

Re: New Toy: Cast Iron Pizza Pan!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »
I used it for a while in my kitchen oven and on my 22" Weber grill until I built my own wfo.  It does double duty so you can use it for other things as well.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/jojisan/P1040031.jpg

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:44:53 PM by carbon »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
Carbon that is a nice looking pie.  Have you done a write up on that one?  If so can you link to it?  I'd like to know a bit more about the baking vessel, time and temp of bake, type of flour etc.

Thanks

Offline carbon

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Carbon that is a nice looking pie.  Have you done a write up on that one?  If so can you link to it?  I'd like to know a bit more about the baking vessel, time and temp of bake, type of flour etc.

Thanks

Well, thank you.  Actually, I made that pizza more than a year ago when I was still using Trader Joe's fresh dough.  I'm pretty sure it was TJ's dough.  Cook times on that particular set were around 5 minutes, and it required lots of charcoal to just to bake a couple or three pies. 

Offline LPRANAL

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 01:21:33 PM »
any luck with the lodge pan?  I have the same one, at first the results weren't as good as my previous travertine stones (not enough heat) but I found a solution:  I place the rack directly ON the element (yes, it's actually touching it) and then the pan goes directly ON the rack.  This finally gives me the char I'm after... once I get that, I broil it for 20-30 seconds to do the top.  I'm still perfecting it though, going to make a whole wheat / KA bread flour blend pie tonight, so I'll see how that goes!