Author Topic: My "homemade" Peel  (Read 5417 times)

Offline alan081954

• Sluggers Pizza
My "homemade" Peel
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:14:07 PM »
I made myself a homemade peel to use for my pizza adventures. It is 16" wide by 19" long with a 15" handle with 7" under the board for support.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:16:25 PM by alan081954 »

Offline petef

Re: My "homemade" Peel
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 04:07:59 PM »
I made myself a homemade peel to use for my pizza adventures. It is 16" wide by 19" long with a 15" handle with 7" under the board for support.

Nice job. I made a similar one in size and shape but I didn't see the need for the
handle. I open the oven door first and then handle my peel with two hands
which gives me excellent control. For home ovens we really don't need to go
deep into the oven so the conventional peel with long handle is not necessary.

I see you used plywood. That's a good choice!  I used 3"wide solid wood planks,
glued together and over time my peel cupped. I know better now, but to avoid
the cupping I should have paid attention to the end grain pattern becasue it
indicates which way a board will cup. Then you simply alternate the boards
so that they cup in opposite directions. It's had to put into words, but I'm
hoping the wood workers out there understand what I'm talkng about.

Offline gijoe985

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:11:52 PM »
I'll need to remember to put a picture of mine up. Mine basically looks like a professional one... Being a wood shop teacher gives me the tools and time to work on these things...  ;D

Offline madjack

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
I made my own too. I have a relative that worked at Pizza Hut some years ago and offered me one of the "peels" they used in the store, he took it for whatever reason and never had a use for it. I put "peels" in quotes because it wasn't a peel at all, it was one of the serving/cutting boards that they used for dine-in customers. It's about 18" in diameter (round) with a handle, and I'm not sure of the material, some kind of pressed fiberboard, which must have a coating since it's washable/cleanable without absorbing water. It's been used, and washed so many times during it's time in the restraunt, the surface is very smooth.

Anyway, not thinking it would work well, I at least wanted to try, since at the time I was using a flat (no walls) cookie sheet, which didn't work very well. I roughly shaped the "peel", trimmed off the sides and reshaped the front to a more flattened profile, reshaped the end by breaking the edges, etc.

It works awesome. It isn't pretty, and if I had known it was going to work so well, I would have put more time into trimming/shaping it, but I couldn't be more pleased. I'll snap a pic if anyone is interested.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44:33 AM »
I'll snap a pic if anyone is interested.

madjack,

Please do.

Peter

Offline madjack

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »
madjack,

Please do.

Peter

Here you go...

It was circular originally, I didn't modify the profile on the left third or so of the pic, if that makes sense. This pic is at a weird angle, the sides (or top and bottom edges as pictured) are actually parallel, but you get the idea... also, I didn't mention before, but it is about 3/16" thick.

Is there any reason a wood peel would be better in any way? I've never had one, since this one has worked for me so far. I don't use it for removing cooked pies, just as a surface to sauce and top the skins, and slide them off onto the stone.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:15:40 AM by madjack »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 06:36:52 AM »
Madjack,

The peel is made from a natural wood fiber composite.  They have become quite popular because the surface can be used as a cutting board -- they won't dull knives and are extremely durable and will not stain or warp; they are also dishwasher safe and heat resistant.  As well, the nonporous surface prevents the growth of bacteria and unwanted food odors.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:39:53 AM by Matthew »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
What Matthew says is correct. A while back, I did a Google search on the composite cutting boards/peels and reported on some of my results at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8743.msg75774.html#msg75774 (the correct Williams-Sonoma link is now http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cw482/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C4%7Cpeel%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH). What struck me most about such peels is their much higher cost relative to standard wooden peels.

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »
What Matthew says is correct. A while back, I did a Google search on the composite cutting boards/peels and reported on some of my results at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8743.msg75774.html#msg75774 (the correct Williams-Sonoma link is now http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cw482/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C4%7Cpeel%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH). What struck me most about such peels is their much higher cost relative to standard wooden peels.

Peter

In Canada they are pretty much double in price vs. the standard wood peel made by American Metalcraft.

Offline madjack

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »
Madjack,

The peel is made from a natural wood fiber composite.  They have become quite popular because the surface can be used as a cutting board -- they won't dull knives and are extremely durable and will not stain or warp; they are also dishwasher safe and heat resistant.  As well, the nonporous surface prevents the growth of bacteria and unwanted food odors.

Yep, that sound like what I have, as far as I can tell. It looks like several thin layers of composite are laminated together. It seems stiffer and stronger than wood would be at that thickness as well. It does not burn or smoke when it touches the stone (something I was worried about when I first tried it).

Offline gijoe985

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
Here is my peel. I made it out of maple and reinforced the handle with some black walnut. It came out nicely considering I was just winging it and trying to get it done in two hours... (Not including the glue drying time)

Oh, and just to note, I use maple for cutting boards, so this not only works as a peel... Which is nice...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:15:39 PM by gijoe985 »

Offline gijoe985

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »
front

Offline gijoe985

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »
Back

Offline smarttowers

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

Peter

Peter

I found a similar composite cutting board at this site http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_126662. The price seems to be pretty in line with a normal peel but may not be usable as a peel either. Anyway I posted a link to the site in another thread for peels they seem to have good deals on them. I stumbled across them from Amazon.com. Figured I'd share have no experience with them so can't comment on that aspect.

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 06:01:13 PM »
Old topic, I know, but I just built a wood peel today. To avoid warpage I used imported (from China) multilaminated cross grained panels (plywood) that were laminated once more to achieve the desired thickness ( 1/8'' thick was all I had). The handle was crafted from select wood (selected out of the scrap pile) and then attached using the latest SOTA techniques (Elmer's glue and wood screws). The mathematically calculated (eyeballed) sloped leading edge was executed using a continuous loop thickness reducing device (belt sander) and then fine finished utilizing a orbital dual action abrasive machine (palm sander). Only a neighborhood cat was disturbed from his nap, but no other animals were harmed.
don

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »
Don,  I know it took some effort and all,  but I would not use that material for contact with food because it has non food grade glue from china in it.  but that is your call.  -marc

buceriasdon

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »

Actually, I think it came from the Philippines but no matter, all plywoods have some glues that may or may not be save. It's all a crap shoot. Truth is I feel safer about this plywood than most of the local woods, many being toxic. Thanks for your thoughtful reply. :D

Don,  I know it took some effort and all,  but I would not use that material for contact with food because it has non food grade glue from china in it.  but that is your call.  -Marc

Offline Chet

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »
Actually, I think it came from the Philippines but no matter, all plywoods have some glues that may or may not be save. It's all a crap shoot. Truth is I feel safer about this plywood than most of the local woods, many being toxic. Thanks for your thoughtful reply. :D

Put a few coats of olive oil on it, good to go!

buceriasdon

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 10:26:34 AM »
Yep, That's my plan. Just have to be sure and rub it in well.  ;D

quote author=Chet link=topic=8960.msg106378#msg106378 date=1281532476]
  Put a few coats of olive oil on it, good to go!
[/quote]

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
Only a neighborhood cat was disturbed from his nap, but no other animals were harmed.
don
:-D

Loved the quote and thats a great looking peel!
 :chef:
-Bill