Author Topic: Fibrament vs. Forno Bravo?  (Read 4774 times)

Offline jaholbrook

Fibrament vs. Forno Bravo?
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
Hello all,

Anyone have experience with the stones they sell at Forno Bravo?  They seem to have a lot of the same charecteristics as the Fibrament stones with the exception of costing more...

Are these the same?  If not is there a recomendation of one over the other?  I've done some searching and came up empty on this site concerning the Forno Bravo stones.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
Re: Fibrament vs. Forno Bravo?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:01:41 AM »
I have a Forno Bravo stone and I am completey happy with the performance. 

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
I have a Fibrament stone and I'm very happy with this. I use to use unglazed quarry tiles and the Fibrament is light years ahead of those.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline jaholbrook

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »
I came home last night (2nd anniversary) and waiting for me were two stones... forno bravo round and a 15x20 rectagle.  both 3/4 thickness.  I've never seen the Fibrament in person but these two from FB have the exact same dimensions, look like the Fibrament pictures, and have the same 10 yr. warrenty.

My guess is that FB is reselling the Fibrament stones and that is why they are slightly more $$.  I hinted to my wife about the FB stones before I knew about the Fibrament stones.

Can't wait to start making real pizza in the oven and on the weber kettle!! ;D

Offline carbon

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
Can't wait to start making real pizza in the oven and on the weber kettle!! ;D

Please report back on how the stone performed in the kettle and how you set it up.

I'm very new at this and at this stage I'm experimenting with coal arrangement and placement of my cast iron pizza pan under some firebricks.

Thanks

Offline jaholbrook

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:14:35 AM »
FYI...

The Forno Bravo stones are Fibrament.  I'll post my results as soon as I have some.

Thanks.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 07:17:06 PM »
FYI...

The Forno Bravo stones are Fibrament.  I'll post my results as soon as I have some.

Thanks.

You are correct,  I purchased 2 about 3 years ago & the box that they came in were Fibrament-D.  Forno Bravo is strictly a marketing arm.  Their ovens also come from several different sources; some are good & some not so good.

Offline jaholbrook

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:58:57 AM »
The new stones worked great!!  I tempered them and made a batch of dough on Saturday and then made the pizzas on Sunday and they turned out VERY good.

This was my first ever attempt so I went strictly by the book.  Peter Reinhart's American Pie.  I used the Neo-Neapolitan dough recipe and the basic marinara recipe for the sauce.  Heated the oven with my 15x20 on the bottom rack and my round on the top rack to 550 for 1 hour before putting the pizzas in.

The first was your basic Margarita in the heat with prosciutto de Parma added one it came out.  The second was mozzarella and asiogo with pepperoni, onion, and olives.  The crust came out WAY better than I expected for a first tryÖ crispy and chewy with a nice airy rim and well dispersed char.

All in all a very encouraging success!  Bear with me on the terms Iím using.  Like I said Iím very new to all of this.  Hopefully Iíll have some pictures of my next try.

pizzapan