Author Topic: New Neapolitan in Chicago next year  (Read 2477 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
New Neapolitan in Chicago next year
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:05:19 PM »
I just read this on the LTH Forum:

Nella Grassano, Spacca Napoli’s talented original pizzaiola, will team up with her husband, Frank Grassano, and Mia Francesca’s Scott Harris to open Nella Pizzeria Napoletana (2423 N. Clark St.), a 110-seat Neapolitan pizzeria next January. “I met Nella through the guy who sharpens my knives, Claudio Cozzini,” says Scott Harris, owner of the Francesca Group. “He called me and said, ‘Hey, I got this girl; she makes pizza.’” Harris had been talking for two years about opening a pizzeria, and quickly partnered with Grassano, a native of Naples. “She’s got recipes from her family,” Harris says. “Her father’s a pizza maker. Her grandfather is a pizza maker. Her brothers are pizza makers. I want the grandma stuff and the great-grandma stuff.” On October 1st—in what is becoming the mark of a true Neapolitan spot—a pair of Italian craftsmen arrive to build Nella’s wood-burning oven, brick by brick.

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

Re: New Neapolitan in Chicago next year
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 06:39:25 PM »
I had actually read the above comments due to the fact that I was doing some research prior to visiting Chicago this past couple of days.Of course my purpose was a long overdue visit to Spaccanapoli,the bastion of Neapolitan Pizza in the Windy City.I had read many reviews  and the comprehensive posts of the "Chicago pizza Club",but sorry to say Chicago offered nothing that appealed to me more than Johnathan Goldsmiths mecca.I didn't take any photos as that has already been well documented across the web,but suffice to say that this place blew me away and far exceeded my expectations.You can pull up an array of  pizza images from most of the respected pizzerias around the world and usually get a good idea of what to expect.That is.... random,truthfull,customer  shots.(not the professional food stylist press releases ) well I don't know if I was just lucky,or if this place has really found it's groove - but the pizza was everything I had hoped and more.The food was way better than any of the images suggested.The quality and attention to detail is truly inspiring.Too many restaurateurs become tired after a couple of years and the establishments can become a little 'frayed around the edges'.Not this place,it's looks as fresh as the day it opened - a spotless, comfortable balance of contemporary design and rustic charm.This pizza could hold up it's head in Naples and equals or betters  many I've tasted.I only wish he was in New York as nothing here IMO as yet comes close.Outstanding
David
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 06:43:11 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »
http://www.spiritualityoffood.com/spiritualityoffood/film..html

Just found this by accident and I don't believe it has been linked before.Some nice footage and commentary from Johnathan etc.
Regards,
David

Offline vesuvio

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 06:49:22 PM »
nella pizzeria napoletana  will be open at the end of september and a second pizzeria on taylor street will be opening jan 2010
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:19:51 PM by vesuvio »