Author Topic: PELLEGRINO SPARKLING WATER?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline anton-luigi

PELLEGRINO SPARKLING WATER?
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »
I just came back from the grocery store with a bottle of Pellegrino sparkling spring water.  I knew it said "sparkling",  but I shook the bottle at the store and saw no bubbling so I took a chance.  Got it home and popped the cap and instant fizz!! crap!!!  It says very low sodium on the label, but ingredients says 10mg of sodium,  which works out to about 20mg for my batch of dough,  because of this,  Im going to omit the salt altogether and see what happens.  I sat and stirred the crap out of the water to get all the carbonation out of it,  and have it autolysing as I type this.  This is probably going to be a bust Im sure,  but I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.  Guess I should have just bought a bottle of plain spring water. 

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: PELLEGRINO SPARKLING WATER?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:11:45 PM »
are you putting .2 grams in your dough?  thats almost none?!

Offline pacoast

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:45:10 PM »
I think that there might be some confusion about quantities here. As WSP noted, 20mg of salt is a tiny, almost infinitesimal amount. Pizza dough often has 1 - 3% salt, so when I make a 14" thin crust pizza, my recipe calls for 6.2g of salt in it or about 300 times the amount that you are talking about.

Many doughs will be adversely affected by the removal of salt. Were you trying to make a low salt dough from the start or did you think that 20mg was a lot of salt? I've often used carbonated mineral water with good results. I get better crust flavour when my starter is fed mineral water rather than reverse osmosis (purified) water. So I just buy a bottle of mineral water that has about 1500ppm & dilute it 10:1 to get to the 150ppm that I want. As a bonus, it reduces my expenditure on mineral water by 10:1 as well. If using carbonated water, just let it go flat & I don't think that the residual acidity will be significant.

edited to correct my math; should have had more coffee this morning!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:27:43 PM by pacoast »

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:48:42 PM »
Oh,  sorry, forgot I posted this,  thankfully it dawned on me during my initial 5 minute knead,  and I added another 22gm of sea salt(during the final 3 minute knead),  so all should be well. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:51:28 PM by anton-luigi »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »
Not really THAT important here, but also remember salt contains sodium.  Salt is not sodium 1:1.  I.e.  1000mg of salt does not contain 1000mg of sodium... I think(?).
Patrick

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »
Not really THAT important here, but also remember salt contains sodium.  Salt is not sodium 1:1.  I.e.  1000mg of salt does not contain 1000mg of sodium... I think(?).

That is correct.  Table salt is sodium chloride (NaCl).  In some cases, people will use potassium chloride (KCl) as a sodium (not salt) substitute to flavor food just as they would use sodium chloride. 
Let them eat pizza.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:09:19 AM »
One teaspoon of ordinary table salt, which weighs about 5.58 grams, or 558 milligrams, contains 2300 milligrams of sodium.

Peter

Offline pacoast

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
I think that the trailing zero got dropped there, 5.58 grams = 5,580 milligrams. But as Pete-zza pointed out, table salt is about 39% sodium, by weight.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
thanks for the clarification!
Patrick